Paul Lambert

limpid

So far this season is no better than last season, in fact looking purely at statistics it could be considered slightly worse. We have 10 points from our first 7 games and a -5 goal difference whereas last season we had a +1 goal difference. The only positive is that we are currently 1 place higher in the league. Our next 2 games against Everton and QPR (2 teams languishing in or around the relegation zone) will hopefully give an indication on whether the current team assembled by Lambert is capable of actually playing football, scoring some goals and putting some points on the board.

I think we do look stronger at the back though.

Hopefully the return of Benteke can make a difference up front.

Based on what, the fact that we have just conceded 8 goals in 3 games or the fact that we have a -5 goal difference after 7 games?

Probably based on the fact that we look stronger at the back. As in, when watching the game, we actually look better at the back even if we have conceded a fair few. 

If we were against a lesser quality opposition, we wouldn't have conceded as many IMO. Arsenal was a rough few minutes where we completely fell apart, however.

Edited by samjp26

So far this season is no better than last season, in fact looking purely at statistics it could be considered slightly worse. We have 10 points from our first 7 games and a -5 goal difference whereas last season we had a +1 goal difference. The only positive is that we are currently 1 place higher in the league. Our next 2 games against Everton and QPR (2 teams languishing in or around the relegation zone) will hopefully give an indication on whether the current team assembled by Lambert is capable of actually playing football, scoring some goals and putting some points on the board.

I agree with most of that.

Also, if West Ham win today (they are 1-0 up at present) we'll be 10th and we were 10th at the same stage last season. Although we're scoring less and conceding more!

Based on what, the fact that we have just conceded 8 goals in 3 games or the fact that we have a -5 goal difference after 7 games?

Probably based on the fact that we look stronger at the back. As in, when watching the game, we actually look better at the back even if we have conceded a fair few. 

If we were against a lesser quality opposition, we wouldn't have conceded as many IMO. Arsenal was a rough few minutes where we completely fell apart, however.

Unfortunately it is statistics that win you titles and get you relegated. Like it or not it is a fact.

Unfortunately it is statistics that win you titles and get you relegated. Like it or not it is a fact.

Okay

Just from generally watching the games. Yes the last three games wernt the best but we managed 3 clean sheets in 4 games prior to that. Did we manage 3 clean sheets all last season?

• Like 1

We look better defensively because we are play a back 4 and then 4 CMs to protect them and pressure the midfield of the other team.

Yeah great we aren't getting hammered but this is causing us to not create anything, not have the ball and not score many goals. We have 1 shot on target v Liverpool and Stoke and win, that won't happen very often. We are a very negative team that just sets up to not lose.

We look better defensively because we are play a back 4 and then 4 CMs to protect them and pressure the midfield of the other team.

Yeah great we aren't getting hammered but this is causing us to not create anything, not have the ball and not score many goals. We have 1 shot on target v Liverpool and Stoke and win, that won't happen very often. We are a very negative team that just sets up to not lose.

I agree that we need to create more chances but in those first 4 games, the chances we did create we put them in the back of the net. I think these last 3 games have dampened the spirits perhaps but I really think we should wait and see how we get on now we have Benteke back against some of the lesser teams in the league.

Also, if West Ham win today (they are 1-0 up at present) we'll be 10th and we were 10th at the same stage last season. Although we're scoring less and conceding more!

Agreed. I know we have just played Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City but last season, in the corresponding fixtures, we scored a total of 5 goals against these teams and conceded 6 and managed to secure 3 points. This season we have scored 0 and conceded 8 and have 0 points from it.

I'm guessing that the first 4 games of the season have been written off then?

Guess what you like. Did you write off the games in which we achieved our first 10 points last season or did you look at the accumulative effect of games where we hardly have any shots on goal or decent possession resulting in not many points being achieved?

As I said earlier, I think we did well in our first 4 games this season, we certainly played football, scored some goals and put some points on the board that is for sure. The last 3 games we were completely outclassed. That is my opinion.

I agree. We didn't help ourselves either by constantly giving the ball back.

There is 6 or 7 teams that will eventual leave the rest behind. We could potentially finish anywhere from 20th to 8th such is the gap in quality of this league.

I think we'll be ok but it won't be pretty. Would be nice to have our Captain back thoigh.

I'm guessing that the first 4 games of the season have been written off then?

Guess what you like. Did you write off the games in which we achieved our first 10 points last season or did you look at the accumulative effect of games where we hardly have any shots on goal or decent possession resulting in not many points being achieved?

As I said earlier, I think we did well in our first 4 games this season, we certainly played football, scored some goals and put some points on the board that is for sure. The last 3 games we were completely outclassed. That is my opinion. 

The Newcastle game was dreadful and it's a good job they were as terrible in the final third as we are.

Agreed. I know we have just played Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City but last season, in the corresponding fixtures, we scored a total of 5 goals against these teams and conceded 6 and managed to secure 3 points. This season we have scored 0 and conceded 8 and have 0 points from it.

But then we lost to Stoke, Newcastle and drew to Liverpool. You're post shows that some fans are quick to point out who we are playing to justify the poor results.

Just from generally watching the games. Yes the last three games wernt the best but we managed 3 clean sheets in 4 games prior to that. Did we manage 3 clean sheets all last season?

Yes, we managed 3 clean sheets in our first 10 games last season.

I agree that we need to create more chances but in those first 4 games, the chances we did create we put them in the back of the net. I think these last 3 games have dampened the spirits perhaps but I really think we should wait and see how we get on now we have Benteke back against some of the lesser teams in the league.

It's the lesser teams we seem to struggle against, we had a great record against the top teams last season. 

Fair enough. It was still refreshing to see though.

It's the lesser teams we seem to struggle against, we had a great record against the top teams last season. 

Which is why I said we should wait and see :) especially being as we started well against the "lesser teams", although I think Hull are good side and Stoke have improved. 

Edited by samjp26

Fair enough. It was still refreshing to see though.

We didn't manage 3 clean sheets in our first 4 games though, that is what I take as a major positive. I'd rather us be solid and able to beat the teams below the top 4, than lose loads of games to the teams around us and get a few somewhat unusual wins against the top teams.

In the first 7 games last season we played Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Newcastle, Hull and Norwich. Replace Norwich with Stoke and we've had very similar games.

We've scored less, we've conceded more. We still don't control games, we struggle to pass and we don't get nearly enough shots on target.

We need to do better - in fact Lambert needs to do better.

Benteke and Vlaar returning should help but the style of play needs to changes IMO to yield better results (over a long period) and also get back supporters who have got bored from watching us play.

• Like 3

Â