Paul Lambert

limpid

Quality and experience are two different matters (and two very different prices).

Lambert for me is a reactive not proactive manager i.e. a shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted guy!

He doesn't foresee problems and issues he only reacts late to problems after it has been blindly obvious to most for some time.

Of course the whole situation is being clouded by the fact that we have Coco the Clown as an owner but it doesn't forgive all of his short comings. In some ways the sale of the club has given him a lifeline because in any other scenario a manager with Lambert performance record would have been sat at home waiting for a manager to be sacked from Scottish League 2 so I could have the faint hope of applying for a job to resurrect my career!

Any new owner whenever they arrive will need to immediately sack Lambert and bring in a proactive forward thinking manager as it will be as productive as spending £50m in the transfer market (without falling foul of FFP).

• Like 3

He won't win in some people's eyes.

- States he wants to bring in young and hungry players

- Brings in said players and moulds a young squad, kicking out older players (generally; and high earners)

- Fans cry out for experience as squad is too young and naive (results are poor)

- Lambert starts to bring in experienced players to complement the youth

- Lambert is a reactive manager and that sucks

Great stuff.

• Like 1

Hang on a second, I thought one of the biggest gripes about Lambert was that his transfer policy was too extreme and that there wasn't enough experience? Now that we're bringing in experienced players for the first time since he's been here it's all a big disgrace? It's clear he doesn't have much to spend anyway (hence the free transfers).

I don't agree with this line of reasoning being lazily used against anyone who has a problem with Lambert's complete u-turn in policy. Firstly, at least ascertain whether the poster in question himself criticised the 'young and hungry' policy on that basis before trying to put words in his mouth via some flimsy generalisation.

Secondly, I'm sure that some of those who did call for experience weren't therefore endorsing the current policy which basically centres around the idea that being older than what we have automatically makes it a good signing regardless of how untalented or past it the signings in question are.

I wasn't putting words into anybody's mouth or generalising.

What a lot of people seem to miss is that there simply isn't any significant money to spend right now. As somebody said earlier, it's a case of gambling on very cheap young players again (and Lambert has received a lot of flak for those kind of signings in the past) or signing older experienced players on free transfers.

What is Lambert supposed to do with so little to spend? If anyone's to blame it's Lerner for seemingly not even allowing moderate investment.

I think the clear thing here is and what fans struggle with is Lambert is doing exactly what the owner wants him to do. We can sit here, complaining about formations, tactics and purchases. Granted he's made many mistakes but he's also done some decent things IMO. He has kept the club up and unfortunately that is what our budget and the owners remit is stretched too. So while fans want us to play pass and move, more progressive football, i can understand to some extent why he takes us down the survival football, with the resources he has at his disposal.

• Like 1

Southampton IMO have gone from being a good example to a poor one of how to run a club. This summer they have lost so far their manager, their main striker, their captain and creative force, their best young player and look set to lose their best defender in Lovren and their main holding midfielder in Schederlein. They have replaced them so far with an inferior manager and a couple of risky unknowns from the Dutch league. I doubt whether they will be top ten next year.

Personally I don't want a manager who makes obvious mistakes realises 1 or 2 years later and then makes a 180 degree turn around to the complete polar opposite. I understand that everyone makes mistakes but Lambert has that anti-midas touch i.e. everything he touches turns to shite.

I also think he has not made best use of our academy players which has been a big mistake.

Lambert also seems to have created his own cheaper bomb squad.

Southampton IMO have gone from being a good example to a poor one of how to run a club. This summer they have lost so far their manager, their main striker, their captain and creative force, their best young player and look set to lose their best defender in Lovren and their main holding midfielder in Schederlein. They have replaced them so far with an inferior manager and a couple of risky unknowns from the Dutch league. I doubt whether they will be top ten next year.

Personally I don't want a manager who makes obvious mistakes realises 1 or 2 years later and then makes a 180 degree turn around to the complete polar opposite. I understand that everyone makes mistakes but Lambert has that anti-midas touch i.e. everything he touches turns to shite.

I also think he has not made best use of our academy players which has been a big mistake.

I love people bringing this academy into the debate, where have Ciaran Clark, Nathan Baker, Bannan, Delfouneso, Weimann, Gary Gardner all come from? Yes Grealish, Robinson may become superstars but previous evidence suggest the talent we produce aren't exactly world beaters.

I love people bringing this academy into the debate, where have Ciaran Clark, Nathan Baker, Bannan, Delfouneso, Weimann, Gary Gardner all come from? Yes Grealish, Robinson may become superstars but previous evidence suggest the talent we produce aren't exactly world beaters.

Lambert wouldn't know what to do with a world beater? Probably put him in the bomb squad?

We don't produce world beaters but we have produced our fair share of solid Prem players over the past few years. I'd rather them than cheap foreign imports.

we have produced our fair share of solid Prem players over the past few years.

Have we? The past few years? Who were they then?

Edit - From my reckoning the only academy graduates who have shown themselves to be current solid prem players from the past 10 years are Gabby, Whittingham, Weimann, Cahill and Davis.

Edit 2 - I really can't see how that is Lambert's fault. I'd rather we gamble and get Vlaar, Benteke and 5 Lunas instead of going with what our academy produces.

Edited by ArteSuave

In what way has Lambert realised he has made a mistake and has changed the remit?

It is the owner who decides such things with the budgets provided.

Lambert clearly had to reduce the wage bill, whilst buying cheap players on cheap money. He did this and as a result we know have the money to go and add experience to the side.

Cahill definitely, Ridgwell up until recently, Bannan still in Premiership, Gardner Snr, Albrighton. Weimann is playing for us, as is Gabby, Clark and Baker.

Certainly no world beaters but all play in the Premiership.

In what way has Lambert realised he has made a mistake and has changed the remit?

Lambert clearly had to reduce the wage bill, whilst buying cheap players on cheap money. He did this and as a result we know have the money to go and add experience to the side.

Why bother with Lambert then Lerner could just pick the team each week and save spending £2m a year on the whining Scots git!

Cahill definitely, Ridgwell up until recently, Bannan still in Premiership, Gardner Snr, Albrighton. Weimann is playing for us, as is Gabby, Clark and Baker.

So Ridgewell, Bannan & Baker are good enough to be considered "solid prem players" (your words)?

I'll have to respectfully disagree.

Why bother with Lambert then Lerner could just pick the team each week and save spending £2m a year on the whining Scots git!

I am not even going to justify this with an argument.

Pathetic.

Edited by rodders0223

How many times is this £2m a year thing going to crop up? Someone posted a list of the highest paid managers in the world, the bottom of the top 20 was less than £2m a year and Lambert was not on the list.

So Ridgewell, Bannan & Baker are good enough to be considered "solid prem players" (your words)?

I'll have to respectfully disagree.

Their bank manager thinks otherwise!

I am not even going to justify this with an argument.

Pathetic.

Won't or can't who cares!

How many times is this £2m a year thing going to crop up? Someone posted a list of the highest paid managers in the world, the bottom of the top 20 was less than £2m a year and Lambert was not on the list.

£2m or £1m or £500k whatever it is it's still a lot of dosh for the performance received!

Cahill - granted. Ridgewell has gone to the states, the defender we used to rip the piss out of, Bannan won't feature for Pulis. Gardner a CM converted to a RB, Albrighton - average, Weimann - we slag off, Gabby is the only one who I would deem a success, Clark and Baker, did you watch the performances of them defending. The fans berate these players as not being good enough weekly and you want us to add more of them in. Good idea that.

Â