Reduction in Youth Funding?

Djemba_Villan

I had a peruse through a Southampton forum and couldn't help but notice that this year we haven't entered a team into the U-21 European Cup. (See http://dailym.ai/1kj4WND)

The Premier League is set to unveil a new European cup competition which will see English Under-21 teams take on continental opposition this season.
Sportsmail can exclusively reveal that the top eight clubs from the U21 Premier League — including Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea — and eight including Celtic from other countries will make up the 16-team tournament.

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Now one thing noone can dispute with Randy is his prior commitment to investing in infrastructure and youth. We've competed in the non UEFA variant Nextgen numerous years but this year haven't. Am I looking into this too much or is this quantifiable evidence that the interest even at this sort of level has dwindled and should only assume it's being reflected in the facility/coach quality and budget.

The European Youth Comps are a joke. Nextgen started out with a good idea which was taking off using the best academies then UEFA decided it was a good idea and wrecked it by using a CL shadow comp it seems now it's the Premier. Leagues turn to have a go!! I wouldn't read to much into it as our academy is still ranked in the top few around Europe we just need to turn out some world class players instead of just decent premier league players.

• Like 3

The European Youth Comps are a joke. Nextgen started out with a good idea which was taking off using the best academies then UEFA decided it was a good idea and wrecked it by using a CL shadow comp it seems now it's the Premier. Leagues turn to have a go!! I wouldn't read to much into it as our academy is still ranked in the top few around Europe we just need to turn out some world class players instead of just decent premier league players.

Can I ask by whom and where our academy is ranked amongst  the best in Europe ?

Fans who need to take their c&b specs off.

• Like 1

When the academy statuses were given out in this country we was ranked in the top couple independantly. We was invited into the inaugural Nextgen as it was based on the best youth academies not just clubs affiliated to CL clubs. We also have one of the best ratios of players becoming pro's. Our academy is good at creating decent players what's lacking is what Southampton seem to be able to do and have players with that world class ability.

or they could keep them on and see that when the FA overhauled the yoof system in this country and did the EPPP a few years back we got the very top grade, they graded each team based on facilities, coaching, competitions and number of players that break through to the 1st team, im sure id read we actually came out with the highest grade in the country, but thats hard to find, we were certainly right up there

and as we all know, best in england = best in europe = best in the world

obviously any system where you can outscore chelsea because herd and baker playing counts towards the points total might be seen as flawed but thats because any analysis of youth teams would look at it in terms of quantity rather than trying to quantify quality

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

When the academy statuses were given out in this country we was ranked in the top couple independantly. We was invited into the inaugural Nextgen as it was based on the best youth academies not just clubs affiliated to CL clubs. We also have one of the best ratios of players becoming pro's. Our academy is good at creating decent players what's lacking is what Southampton seem to be able to do and have players with that world class ability.

that's quite a big drawback

Can I ask by whom and where our academy is ranked amongst the best in Europe ?

Off the villa site but I'd say it's genuine..

http://mobile.avfc.co.uk/default.aspx?s=news-display&aid=2978609

And from an independent site..

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1224295/aston-villa-secure-category-one-status-for-academy

We were 15th in the U-21 PL so did not qualify for the new PL European competition and were in fact relegated to the 2nd Division. We did not qualify for the UEFA Youth Cup as our first team did not qualify for the CL.    

Can I ask by whom and where our academy is ranked amongst the best in Europe ?

Off the villa site but I'd say it's genuine..

http://mobile.avfc.co.uk/default.aspx?s=news-display&aid=2978609

And from an independent site..

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1224295/aston-villa-secure-category-one-status-for-academy

Look at the date. A lot can change in 2 years.

the academy structure is awful in England and is another great idea by FA to grade them. some lower league teams have closed their academies think Yeovil and Wycombe have and more will follow as clubs getting short changed for developing talent. Read that Hull are grade 3 so lost players to Swansea for peanuts when only 2 or 3 places separate them

Â