Tony Pulis is overrated and out of work

Con

I think the game is moving - managers like Pulis (and O'Neill I think) are becoming an anachronism - when you spend a couple of hundred million on your new toy, you want to decide who the players will be - I think the days of managers having full control of clubs are over. I'm not sure if I like that or not, but it's a shame I think to see someone like Pulis, who in fairness seems to care about the long term health of the clubs he manages, and who seems to consider leaving a club stronger than he found it to be part of his job, pushed out because those dreams now belong to the bloke with the chequebook.

Head coaches - here for between one to three seasons - with their main focus being their own CV - and no involvement in recruitment. Better or worse?

• Like 1

I think the game is moving - managers like Pulis (and O'Neill I think) are becoming an anachronism - when you spend a couple of hundred million on your new toy, you want to decide who the players will be - I think the days of managers having full control of clubs are over. I'm not sure if I like that or not, but it's a shame I think to see someone like Pulis, who in fairness seems to care about the long term health of the clubs he manages, and who seems to consider leaving a club stronger than he found it to be part of his job, pushed out because those dreams now belong to the bloke with the chequebook.

Head coaches - here for between one to three seasons - with their main focus being their own CV - and no involvement in recruitment. Better or worse?

Better. You don't want the tail wagging the dog.

Lambert's style of football isn't as bad as Pulis. It can be poor at times but I've seen a lot better Lambert than we'll ever see from Pulis in that department. Lambert playing hoofball has just become a bit of a thing now - yeah it happens but it gets exaggerated.

Pulis is a chequebook manager anyway.

Edited by Mantis

So what should a manager do when the chairman doesn't allow him to get the players he wants because he's decided to spend the budget on someone the manager doesn't want ( allegedly )? 

not walk out a couple days before season starts. thats a cowards way you try work with what you got

So what should a manager do when the chairman doesn't allow him to get the players he wants because he's decided to spend the budget on someone the manager doesn't want ( allegedly )? 

not walk out a couple days before season starts. thats a cowards way you try work with what you got

If it was clear from the start where the managers responsibilities ended and the owners began, then Pulis is the one that's to blame and he should be ashamed of himself. If the rules have been changed, and the rug has been pulled from under him, then he's a principled individual, he's right to do it and Palace fan's unhappiness should be aimed at their owner.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So what do people think of Colin being reappointed Palace manager?

Think they're in for a long hard season, I actually don't mind Warnock but Pulis is much more effective at managing at prem level while Warnock has been relegated once, could've took QPR down aswell and didn't do great at Leeds.

Surprised they went for him in semi retirement over Steve Clarke who I think would've been a good fit for their present situation.

Interesting for Puncheon. What did he say about Warnock again?

Puncheon - who excelled for the club under former manager Tony Pulis - was fined £15,000 by the Football Association and warned about his future conduct after he made comments on Twitter about Warnock. 

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/08/27/lineker-wishes-puncheon-good-luck-following-warnock-appointment/

Awkward!

Â