2014-2015 - The new Villa?

villalad21

A new season is coming up, and once again we will play in the Premiership. New owners, and possibly new manager. What will the season bring? Where will we end up in the league? Another relegation battle? What formation will we play?

Where do we need to strenghten?

Keepers

Brad Guzan

Jed Steer

Conclusion: Brad Guzan is a good Premier League keeper. Very reliable, rarely makes mistakes. He is also a leader, can make vital saves. Steer is ok backup, still young.

Rating 7/10

Defenders

Ron Vlaar

Nathan Baker

Cieran Clark

Jores Okore

Matthew Lowton

Antonio Luna

Joe Bennett

Leandro Bacuna

Conclusion: Vlaar and Okore is the obvious first choices, with Baker and Clark as backups. New and better backups for Vlaar and Okore is needed, as Clark and Baker have not been showing any signs of being Premier League quality, at least not yet, but they are both still young.

Regarding the fullbacks. Lowton have been dissapointing in his second season, but showed in his first season he can be a good player, needs to get back to his first season performances.

Bennett were impressing against Chelsea, but still need to show consistency.

Luna showed some promise in his debut game against Arsenal, but has since been terrible. Unsure future ahead.

Bacuna have been performing ok as a right back, though he's been inconsistent, might be preferred as a midfielder next season?

Our defence line overall isn't good enough, we need to strenghten in the defence, if we want to improve our league position next year.

Rating: 5.5/10

Midfield

El Ahmadi

Delph

Westwood

Sylla

Herd

Gardner

Albrighton

Tonev

El Ahmadi, Delph, and Westwood, have been thefirst choice this season, but they lacks quality and theres not many goals in them. Delph being the stand out performer this year, El Ahmadi and Westwood has been inconsistent, and not yet showed they are good enough. This midfield trio lacks creativity and also a little "steel". A cabaye and a Wanyama type of player together with Delph is required, and would make our midfield more balanced and solid.

Sylla, Herd, have not been showing that they are anywhere near good enough, and is likely to leave or club. Gardner were a great prospect before his injury, but he seems far off being the same player that he was.

Albrighton has been one of the few positives this season. Done well when he's got the chance, he's crosses and energy serves him well. Tonev has potential, but makes wrong choices, and doesn't seem up for the level.

The midfield needs an massive overhaul if we want to push on becoming an top 8 side.

Rating: 5/10

Forwards:

Agbonlahor

Weimann

Benteke

NZogbia

Helenius

Bowery

Kozak

Agbonlahor, and Weimann, have not followed up their impressing form during the last part of the 2011-2012 season. Very unconsistent, but definetly got the potential.

Benteke, has been injured for good parts this season, and haven't been as good as last season when he's been playing. NZogbia have been injured the whole season, it's a shame. He's got a little bit of the creativity we need, have showed throughout he's career that he is Premier league quality. Helenius, and Bowery, have not played alot this season. Helenius haven't really been given a chance to show what he's got. Is this a sign that Lambert has done a terrible signing? Is he that poor in training?

Kozak, did alright when fit. Scored a couple of goals, and generally played ok.

Our forwards are alright when in form, but neither Weimann or Gabby are creative enough.

6/10

We need at least 2 central midfielders, 1 fullback and a new winger.

Edited by villalad21

I would literally be fine with us clearing everyone in the squad out and starting over again, although it would hurt me a little bit to see Gabby in another team's shirt.

We realistically need to strengthen everywhere but GK. Where do you start?

I would literally be fine with us clearing everyone in the squad out and starting over again, although it would hurt me a little bit to see Gabby in another team's shirt.

It's too much difference on the quality level on our players imo. Neither Westwood or KEA, is anywhere near the quality as Delph. Same With Baker and Clark compared to Vlaar and Okore.

• Like 1

Clark was playing fine next to Vlaar before he was dropped, he's good enough to be back up, imo.

Possibly. Okore also saying he is looking forward with partnership together with Vlaar next season. How will Baker and Clark react to that statement?

Indeed, but assuming you have to start somewhere, the players I'd replace last would be Guzan, Okore, Vlaar, Delph, Gabby and Benteke.  The full backs need clearing out wholesale, as do most of the midfield.

Clark was playing fine next to Vlaar before he was dropped, he's good enough to be back up, imo.

Possibly. Okore also saying he is looking forward with partnership together with Vlaar next season. How will Baker and Clark react to that statement?

I hope it makes them both put in a transfer request and leave.

• Like 3

We need a new first choice CB no doubt. Vlaar is injury prone and Okore could be too. I want to see as little as possible of Clark and Baker next term. 1 New full back is a minimum, LB for sure. RB I'm more comfortable with. We probably need 2 AM s and a DM. And maybe another winger or striker too. Much to be done, takeover can't come soon enough.

Guzan/Steer, Caulker/Okore, Vlaar/Clark, Debeuchy/Lowton, Bertrand/Luna

Mulumbu/Sylla, Delph/KEA, Sissoko/Westwood

Bolaise/Assiadi, Benteke/Kozak, Gabby/Weinman

starting lineup of 4-3-3

Guzan

Debeuchy Caulker Vlaar Bertrand

Mulumbu

Sissoko Delph

Gabby Benteke Assiadi/Bolaise

Apologize for poor spelling!

Edited by Dom_Wren

Basically keep Guzan & Benteke, give Okore a chance,keep Vlaar as a back up centre back as he is ok and completely replace the rest of the team as they are all mediocre or utter crap

Guzan, Vlaar, Okore, Delph, Westwood, Bacuna, Gabby, Weimann, Benteke, Kozak - Would Keep these players 

Anyone else can go in my eyes - gabby and Weimann have been terrible this season but I think with the right manager would perform again. 

Baker is 23 and Clark is 24 - hardly kids anymore and not improved much - ok as backup at a push. 

Ship out pronto: Nzogbia, Herd, Sylla, Bennett, Bowery,and Tonev. 

Edited by LondonVillian

We could start by bringing GT back to the club say as director of football so the new or current owner/manager has someone who can offer sound advice on both the club and the game in general.  

Â