Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

Rome wasn't built in a day guys

Though Hackney was probably built in around 19 months.

Not really sure why some show so much loyalty and confidence in a man who has essentially only had two good managerial seasons.

He only been a manager for six or seven years....took Wycombe to the Play-offs and League Cup semi final, and decent season with Colchester and then back-to-back promotions with Norwich followed by a surprisingly good mid-table finish first year in the premiership. Most here were delighted we signed him up

Now all of a sudden, because some have no patience for what we all knew would be a long and difficult job he is crap........I don't think so

• Like 2

It's the same old arguments going round and round in circles.  

What cannot be disputed is that Lambert has managed to slash the wage bill AND build a team that has year on year improved it's league performance.  From where I'm standing he is doing a superb job.  True, performances are up and down but I would expect this with such a young squad (remember, we had the youngest first team playing in all the top five leagues of Europe last season).  I would hope our target is to finish somewhere between 8th and 13th this season and I would like to think we can achieve this. Next season we will build again.

The shit-stirring in the press about Lambert makes me chuckle - the press boys want a crisis club to stick their knives into  - thankfully Lerner and Lambert take no notice.  I just wish some of our supporters would show some nous and not be so quick to bite.

I didn't realise that the season has finished?

"Year on year": compare where we are now to where we were twelve months ago.

There isn't much difference to where we were with Mcleish thought so I'm not sure we have improved any at all under Lambert and let be fair that's a very low yardstick to begin with.

Better than McL on less than half the funds.....if it was a low yardstick then that is a good indicator of the shit that Lambert inherited.

So far Lambert has not delivered any 38 game run that would deliver a relegation points total and the trend is upwards

• Like 1

I'd trust Lambert more with money than McLeish. Jenas, Hutton, N'zogbia, Given anybody?

Granted, AM didn't have it easy with both Petrov and Bent getting Ill / Injured respectively, but he didn't do himself any favours by paying high wages to crap players and playing 7 defenders and 3 forwards at times (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17885326 - granted it was against Spurs, but they were on a horrible run of form at the time).

Bit like when Lambert played with 5 defenders and 3 non attacking midfielders against a West Ham side with no recognised striker whom were also on a poor run.

• Like 1

McLeish did wage bill slashing? I've really heard it all now.

The wage-bill was lower upon his departure as opposed to when he arrived. What else would you describe it as?

It's the same old arguments going round and round in circles.

What cannot be disputed is that Lambert has managed to slash the wage bill AND build a team that has year on year improved it's league performance. From where I'm standing he is doing a superb job. True, performances are up and down but I would expect this with such a young squad (remember, we had the youngest first team playing in all the top five leagues of Europe last season). I would hope our target is to finish somewhere between 8th and 13th this season and I would like to think we can achieve this. Next season we will build again.

The shit-stirring in the press about Lambert makes me chuckle - the press boys want a crisis club to stick their knives into - thankfully Lerner and Lambert take no notice. I just wish some of our supporters would show some nous and not be so quick to bite.

I didn't realise that the season has finished?
"Year on year": compare where we are now to where we were twelve months ago.
There isn't much difference to where we were with Mcleish thought so I'm not sure we have improved any at all under Lambert and let be fair that's a very low yardstick to begin with.

I'm pretty sure we have improved since McLeish.

And yet we have a similar record this season at this stage, that McLeish did at the same stage of his season

And yet we have a similar record this season at this stage, that McLeish did at the same stage of his season

That ignores the bigger picture. We've currently* got a similar record to McLeish, despite what Lambert has been told to do and has done to the wages. The fact that we're 18 months into what Lambert is doing and he has managed to not allow that to affect our league position should be reason enough to give the man more time.

Or are people really that unrealistic to think that a manager who is shopping in the bargain basement because of the owner should somehow have us higher than 11th in the league than a man who had a much higher wage bill? If that really is what some people are asking for then they're obviously not going to be happy, because they are making unrealistic demands at this point in time.

* McLeish subsequently fell down the league. We haven't actually done that yet.

• Like 4

The wage-bill was lower upon his departure as opposed to when he arrived. What else would you describe it as?

True, but was it really slashing? GIven, Hutton and N'Zogbia are on about 140k a week between them.

high earning decent players deciding they didn't want to be here anymore and getting replaced with dross who were on less but still overpaid

hutton and given on 40k+ a week? if you consider that mcleish conscientiously cutting the wage bill down then it's time to stop drinking

True, but was it really slashing? GIven, Hutton and N'Zogbia are on about 140k a week between them.

It was 'slashing' if he fulfilled his remit of cutting the wage-bill. If it factually lowered during his reign, then who he signed doesn't change that fact does it?

That ignores the bigger picture. We've currently* got a similar record to McLeish, despite what Lambert has been told to do and has done to the wages. The fact that we're 18 months into what Lambert is doing and he has managed to not allow that to affect our league position should be reason enough to give the man more time.

Or are people really that unrealistic to think that a manager who is shopping in the bargain basement because of the owner should somehow have us higher than 11th in the league than a man who had a much higher wage bill? If that really is what some people are asking for then they they're obviously not going to be happy, because they are making unrealistic demands at this point in time.

* McLeish subsequently fell down the league. We haven't actually done that yet.

I'm not expecting higher than 10th so 11th is in line with this. However, at this moment in time I could quite easily see us dropping down the league, similar to McLeish's season. Yes the circumstances are very different, but the team are so short of form and confidence that I really struggle to see who we are going to get many points off. The football is dire to watch, we can't create chances and without vlaar we struggle to keep clean sheets. Now I'm not saying sack the manager but something needs to change. Be it a new signing or having a youth player being given a chance, anything to give the team a lift

Possible however adding Given ,Hutton and Nzogbia wasn't cheap.2 of which have zero sell on value now

In General out budget issues are down to every manager under Lerner wasting money.Lamberts might be cheaper but as they are not performing 

to the level required good case to say they are a waste of money too.

Again it goes back to lack of knowledge on the board for sanctioning the transfers and wages.

It was 'slashing' if he fulfilled his remit of cutting the wage-bill. If it factually lowered during his reign, then who he signed doesn't change that fact does it?

like i asked though, did he do it conscientiously or did our best players on bigger wages ask to leave? cos in my mind he didn't do it on purpose, he had no choice becasue they ddint want to be here anymore, and then went and signed overpriced dross 

I'm not expecting higher than 10th so 11th is in line with this. However, at this moment in time I could quite easily see us dropping down the league, similar to McLeish's season. Yes the circumstances are very different, but the team are so short of form and confidence that I really struggle to see who we are going to get many points off. The football is dire to watch, we can't create chances and without vlaar we struggle to keep clean sheets. Now I'm not saying sack the manager but something needs to change. Be it a new signing or having a youth player being given a chance, anything to give the team a lift

Well it is January and we've been told to expect 2 possibly 3 players. So I think we should wait until February to see if anything has changed.
  • Like 1

like i asked though, did he do it conscientiously or did our best players on bigger wages ask to leave? cos in my mind he didn't do it on purpose, he had no choice becasue they ddint want to be here anymore, and then went and signed overpriced dross

McLeish said himself that he was tasked with cutting the wage-bill. It's well known that the cut-backs have been imposed from the top.

Possible however adding Given ,Hutton and Nzogbia wasn't cheap.2 of which have zero sell on value now

In General out budget issues are down to every manager under Lerner wasting money.Lamberts might be cheaper but as they are not performing 

to the level required good case to say they are a waste of money too.

Again it goes back to lack of knowledge on the board for sanctioning the transfers and wages.

No certainly. I'm not trying to defend McLeish's transfer activity in any way, shape or form. I'm just arguing that he did comply with the task of cutting the wage-bill.