Aston Villa fan holds sway on the 5Live 6-0-6 football phone-in

andykeenan

"Because the players he brought in during the summer are just odd and I don’t think they fit in really well, that’s all.”

Kozak makes perfect sense as a foil to Benteke in case he ever got injured. At least Lambert is starting to realise they don't play well together. It's about building a squad and competition for places. Bennett was a real problem last season so he brought in Luna. Baker is not good enough but injury has meant he's back in the side. Players don't always establish themselves overnight especially when they are coming from a different league abroad.

Bacuna is versatile and gives us a great set piece option. Tonev is slowly improving. It's far too early to write off any summer signing. Utterly nonsensical.

"I don’t really see what it is that he’s building. I’m not unhappy with him, I just don’t really see what he’s building."

Which is contradicted by his next point:

"I like his ideas, I like his philosophy of younger players and not spending loads on wages and building up from there."

I thought we were defensively excellent against Southampton until Vlaar went off injured, it was a classic counter attacking performance. Is it any wonder we play it long when the midfield can barely hold the ball up? Key players from last season are playing without form. We are defensively a much better team than last season. Before Fulham, we were on a five game unbeaten run and picking up some clean sheets along the way. We've rescued seven points from losing positions this season. It's a young team full of resolve and sometimes ability.

The atmosphere was equally terrible under previous managers but I guess it's all Lambert's fault and his 'dire' form of football.

The atmosphere has been shit for years but its also shit at every ground in the league.

the comment about not knowing what his building, I don't know what his building either, yes we buy a lot of young unknowns but there's no identity in how we play as a team this season, other than defend for your life and hope we pick teams off on the counter. Its frustrating.

I said this a few months ago, I can't remember the last time we kicked off and looked 'up for it' in a game, we just seem to kick off and slip into a routine of pass between defence and then hoof up field, last season we were slipping the ball into benteke, now were just kicking it towards him.

I'm not unhappy with Lambert, he has one hand tied behind his back not just with transfer fees but this wage budget in place, but that game v Fulham was as bad as anything last year or the year before

I'm not unhappy with Lambert, he has one hand tied behind his back not just with transfer fees but this wage budget in place, but that game v Fulham was as bad as anything last year or the year before

Ok....we played poorly yesterday, but a game that we lost 2-0, away from home, which included, imo, a soft penalty, and that we were still 'in' right to the end was as bad as chelsea 8-0, wigan 3-0, spurs 4-0, bradford semi, spurs 2-0 under mcleish (hutton playing right mid I believe), chelsea 7-1 under mon, man city 4-0 under houllier????....and I could go on....

Stupid, idiotic, and reactionary statement that is becoming the norm on here.

Ok....we played poorly yesterday, but a game that we lost 2-0, away from home, which included, imo, a soft penalty, and that we were still 'in' right to the end was as bad as chelsea 8-0, wigan 3-0, spurs 4-0, bradford semi, spurs 2-0 under mcleish (hutton playing right mid I believe), chelsea 7-1 under mon, man city 4-0 under houllier????....and I could go on....

Fulham had two shots off the woodwork and two cleared off the line. They also had great chances, like Kasami who skied an open goal from 8 yards.

On another day, or against a more ruthless team (Man City at home) they would have scored at least 7 goals from their 21 shots.

Southampton would say they should have scored that many in the midweek fixture we somehow won.

If this continues every week it is just a matter of when, not if, we will get hammered, and this time it could be double figures.

You simply don't understand. The Fulham 'performance' was horrendous from top to bottom. The basic shape of the team was incoherant and all over the place quite frankly. The midfield presence was non-existant, the space in which the Fulham attackers were afforded to move into was embarressing and our attacking penetration was about as potent as a blunt knife. Fulham could easily have won it about 4 or 5-0 had they been more ruthless with the numerous offensive opportunities they found themselves in at ease.

There is nothing reactionary about classiying it amongst one of our worst showings under Lambert at all.

• Like 1

Fulham had two shots off the woodwork and two cleared off the line. They also had great chances, like Kasami who skied an open goal from 8 yards.

On another day, or against a more ruthless team (Man City at home) they would have scored at least 7 goals from their 21 shots.

Southampton would say they should have scored that many in the midweek fixture we somehow won.

If this continues every week it is just a matter of when, not if, we will get hammered, and this time it could be double figures.

Ok ur getting hysterical now....is there anyone near u to administer a slap??

Why does everyone over react so much?? Bacuna was brilliant a few weeks ago, now he's ****, benteke was worth 35mill in the summer, according to some on here, now he's not worth a place in the team!!

Come on people, calm the f*** down!!

• Like 1

I said it was as bad as anything from last season and the one before, its not A reactionary comment, just my opinion on what was on the pitch yesterday, just because we didn't get a pasting doesn't mean the general performance of the players was better than in previous pastings (the Christmas period last year for example).

2 shots on target, 17 touches in the fuham box against a Fulham team that had lost 7 on the bounce and who has never scored more than once at home all season until yesterday.

That game was lost as soon as sidwell scored, going a goal behind should bring a reaction out of the players, the reaction yesterday was "meh"

Edited by Jimzk5

I said it was as bad as anything from last season and the one before, its not A reactionary comment, just my opinion on what was on the pitch yesterday, just because we didn't get a pasting doesn't mean the general performance of the players was better than in previous pastings (the Christmas period last year for example).

2 shots on target, 17 touches in the fuham box against a Fulham team that had lost 7 on the bounce and who has never scored more than once at home all season until yesterday.

That game was lost as soon as sidwell scored, going a goal behind should bring a reaction out of the players, the reaction yesterday was "meh"

Well 'in my opinion' it was nowhere near as bad as you're making out. Yes it was a poor performance but I saw players still in there fighting and giving there all...I even think they charged around too much.

I have witnessed some abject performances over the years, under mcleish; dol, even far back as billy mcneill, and I'm telling u, how u r describing yesterdays performance is a 'massive' over reaction.

• Like 1

Again, I was talking about performances from the last 2 seasons, not from years ago.

Your welcome to your opinion, football is about opinions and we'll draw a line under it now mate

Well I thought it was a shit performance but it was one out of 38 this season. Even when we've been a bit pony going forward we have defended well which is an improvement on last season, yesterday was a day where we were awful everywhere and thankfully we haven't had that many of those this season, which is why we are 10th. I just can't understand why people are incapable of realising this is just a stage of the stabilising process and are so intent on panicking. It does my nut sometimes.

Any panic is probably due to the memories of this time last year. We had a good run into December, a famous away win, then a good Christmas stuffing that lasted well into the new year.

Could that happen again? The number of chances we gave up against Southampton and Fulham, the objective answer to that is yes.

I just get annoyed by so many negative comments on here. Lambert is a good manager and needs to be given time. I know we can't wait forever but by not giving him at least 3-4 years we will never know if he could be a 'great' manager.

The downside is that along the way there will be peaks and troughs, that's what comes with building from the bottom up, which is what Lambert is doing.

Young players like bacuna are going to be inconsistent, they're going to look poor sometimes, but it's a learning curve.

I don't know whether lamberts philosophy will work, but I am more optimistic under him than I have been for a long while, it's not going to be overnight success but I think we should start enjoying the ride a bit more, especially a lot of us villa talkers!!

Utv

• Like 4

I share his concerns. Lambert is building something here, but whether it is anything worth building remains to be seen. Our squad lacks quality, that is why we are consistently outplayed by our opponents and Lambert opts for a counter attacking style. Talk of being inspired by Dortmund seems obscene at the moment.

When we're rid of Bent, Ireland, Hutton and Given I fully expect that money to be reinvested into the wage bill to improve the squad. If it isn't, we will struggle every season.

We need better players.

I just get annoyed by so many negative comments on here. Lambert is a good manager and needs to be given time. I know we can't wait forever but by not giving him at least 3-4 years we will never know if he could be a 'great' manager.

The downside is that along the way there will be peaks and troughs, that's what comes with building from the bottom up, which is what Lambert is doing.

Young players like bacuna are going to be inconsistent, they're going to look poor sometimes, but it's a learning curve.

I don't know whether lamberts philosophy will work, but I am more optimistic under him than I have been for a long while, it's not going to be overnight success but I think we should start enjoying the ride a bit more, especially a lot of us villa talkers!!

Utv

You're right. Nobody is saying "sack the manager." That's ridiculous. His purchase of Kozak, for example, an extra striker seems to have been vindicated. 

For me, it's just calling for the manager to pick Lowton again, and give Gardner a start. And buy back Bannan and invest more in the winter transfer window.   If we do that, and play Herd in midfield whilst Delph is suspended, we'll be okay.

Â