Midfield woes, the solution?

Avflife

Yet again today we saw the midfield, what midfield some might say, overrun by a more physical Everton midfield (I do like the word midfield lol) whenever Delph pushed forward it meant that Westwood (not the biggest guy) was overrun by Barkey and co. so what is the possible solution.

Lambert played the right formation today (4-2-3-1) but chose the wrong options in the middle of the park. Instead of playing Delph and Westwood in the two, it should of been Westwood and Sylla, with Delph pushed further up the field in the elusive number 10 position. 

Last season when Sylla played alongside Westwood, towards the latter end of last season, he protected Westy so he could use his array of passing ability; Sylla's record was immense so why doesn't Lambert want to give him a game.

Weimann should sadly be nowhere near the first-team atm, he needs to be benched immediately and Tonev given a chance instead.

So a 4-2-3-1 of: Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Baker, Luna, Westwood, Sylla, Tonev, Delph, Gabby and Benteke.

Edited by Avflife
  • Like 1

If you protect Westwood, what exactly are you protecting? He has 9 key passes in 7 appearance and a crossing accuracy between 25-30%. If he's going to get protection he needs to up those stats.

Let's not entertain the idea of recalling that waste of space Ireland, but in regards to the current predicament Westy needs protecting from advancing midfielders, so like I stated in the introduction to the thread, he can pass the ball and set-up attacks and goals like he did so many times last season.

Let's not entertain the idea of recalling that waste of space Ireland, but in regards to the current predicament Westy needs protecting from advancing midfielders, so like I stated in the introduction to the thread, he can pass the ball and set-up attacks and goals like he did so many times last season.

"It is my job to protect the defence." - Ashley Westwood

Piggy backing off what Con said...

PROTECTING HIM FOR ******* WHAT???

To do a sideways pass or a fart of a cross in the vague direction of Benteke?

Really really really really don't get the decreasing number of people who actually think he is worth a spot on the pitch over someone like Sylla.

If you protect Westwood, what exactly are you protecting? He has 9 key passes in 7 appearance and a crossing accuracy between 25-30%. If he's going to get protection he needs to up those stats.

When you were using this stat as a basis to try and prove Bannan was the best player in the world (sic), wasn't Bannan's accuracy around 28/29%?  :detect:

• Like 1

When you were using this stat as a basis to try and prove Bannan was the best player in the world (sic), wasn't Bannan's accuracy around 28/29%?  :detect:

lol no. Bannan's accuracy was 45%. 52 out of 114. Currently over 50% accurate for Palace this year. That's the guy Lambert threw away.

I guess I'm in the minority but I didn't think our midfield was the problem today. We created plenty of chances and I thought both Delph and Westwood put in decent shifts defensively and going forward. The problem today was our forward players failing to take the chances that were created for them.

When you were using this stat as a basis to try and prove Bannan was the best player in the world (sic), wasn't Bannan's accuracy around 28/29%? :detect:

lol no. Bannan's accuracy was 45%. 52 out of 114. Currently over 50% accurate for Palace this year. That's the guy Lambert threw away.

Palace are very consistent with Bannan in the side tbf, they've won.. oh... None.

Bannan is shit end of debate ;) On to Westwood, he deserves a place over KEA, as he offers more, should be him, Sylla and Delph in the midfield three, starting against West Spam next Saturday.

Sylla is the midfield enforcer, Westwood helps protect the back-four and set-ups assits with his array of passing abilities and Delph is the most attack-minded of the lot, going on runs past players whenever the **** he wants :P

Bannan is shit end of debate ;)On to Westwood, he deserves a place over KEA, as he offers more, should be him, Sylla and Delph in the midfield three, starting against West Spam next Saturday.

Sylla is the midfield enforcer, Westwood helps protect the back-four and set-ups assits with his array of passing abilities and Delph is the most attack-minded of the lot, going on runs past players whenever the **** he wants :P

Absolute rubbish. All Westwood does is pass sideways, try to pass forward and give it away, and take shit corners. KEA can pass, gets into good positions to take the ball and gets stuck in, he does a good all round job.

Bannan is shit end of debate ;) On to Westwood, he deserves a place over KEA, as he offers more, should be him, Sylla and Delph in the midfield three, starting against West Spam next Saturday.

Yes Westwood does more to protect the defence then the best tackler in the team? At the same he needs protection against opposition midfielders though? Hmm...

Â