Petitioning Virgin to install cable on an estate

StigVillan

My brother is fed up of Sky.

He reckons their service is terrible and the broadband is a joke.

He wants Virgin, but the infrastructure isn't there even though he lives on a new estate.

He was considering if a petition to get them involved would be worth a shot?

Anyone know of anything similar working?

Who would he have to go through?

Dunno about the inner workings of the UK but here it would be a chance of about **** all of getting something from a petition. Only $$$ work. If you get a certain amount of people together to pledge to use them on a certain site and pay a rather hefty amount for the installation, maybe!

That said, the DSL coverage is pretty good, even out in the sticks. You'll find it hard not to get 8mbit regardless of location.

I'm toying with the idea too. I live in a new build and it's one of a cluster of about sixteen houses which don't have cable connected.  It's not on a new estate though, it's a ten year old house on a hundred year old street (the cluster of houses stand on the site of an old factory) and everywhere surrounding is had cable laid by NTL in the late 1990s. 

Edited by The_Rev

I'm in the same situation, brand new estate but they wouldn't install cable for whatever reason. I'm with Sky but think that their broadband is actually quite reasonable compared to other providers I've had the misfortune of using before (especially BT). 

Anyway, I reckon it's worth a shot but wouldn't be surprised if nothing comes of it.

That said, the DSL coverage is pretty good, even out in the sticks. You'll find it hard not to get 8mbit regardless of location.

I get less than 1mb here in Fradley :( BT have also said there is very little chance of fibre coming any time soon.

4G might change that though, it travels further from every cell tower and penetrates buildings better so relatively rural areas should see a big improvement over 3G. 

I get less than 1mb here in Fradley :( BT have also said there is very little chance of fibre coming any time soon.
I feel your pain. I had to put up with Fradley broadband for years, I used to get 0.5mb. I now live in Lichfield and have 60mb virgin cable. Edited by AndyC

I live in a house of 4 students and we signed up for their student package in mid-september. Said they'd install on the 3rd October, got there and said they'd have to come back on the 23rd to drill or some shit. Got to the 23rd and they didn't turn up so we called and they then informed us that the service wasn't available in our area. No phone call, nothing. 

I live in **** London and it's not available?

Richard Branson can go **** himself the **** word removed. 

• Like 1

He is still a minority shareholder I think, he certainly appeared prominently in their advertising campaign last year with Usain Bolt and Mo Farah.  Branson makes keeping the name "Virgin" for a period of time (20-30 years) part of the terms of the sale of most of his companies though. 

Branson sold the Virgin TV/Broadband company did he not?

He's never owned it.

It's still very much the old ntl guys who run it (until berkett steps aside as part of the recent takeover). They just bought the rights to use the virgin brand. Branson has never had a say in how the company is ran, he's just paid by them so they can run it under his banner.

Edited by TheDon

Â