Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

10 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Great to see Italy improving and starting to look dangerous.

Should put to bed any silly talk of Georgia replacing them who ( a ) have only beaten a tier 1 nation once in their history and ( b ) never beaten Italy in test rugby 

25 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Should put to bed any silly talk of Georgia replacing them who ( a ) have only beaten a tier 1 nation once in their history and ( b ) never beaten Italy in test rugby 

I agree about not dumping them from the 6N but can see some benefits to allowing Georgia (and maybe Spain) to play tier one nations on a more regular basis. Not sure how you do that though (promotion/relegation or a larger football style tournament like the Euro's to rival the World Cup).

Something like that might help to grow rugby's popularity too.

• Like 1

Grim game this. Flattest Wales England game I can remember. England dominant but got very little to show for it. Farrell is shit. Kicked 2 out of 5!

Edited by JB

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I genuinely think Farrell holds England back

Is World Class on his day and certainly a great point scorer (over a 1000) but probably fair to say not had one of those days for England for a while (since the Saracens scandal?).

• Like 2

Made hard work of it, but got it done. Freddie Steward was immense. The back line never really got going. But thought defensively you can see the Sinfield effect coming in.

Wales were awful. Gatland has a big job on there and I’m not sure he’s the right person. He’s been great in the past, but can he move forward now? 

1 hour ago, JB said:

Massively! I genuinely don’t know what consecutive coaches see in him.

He’s been playing really well for Saracens this season.

It’s not just coaches who rate him, you listen to anyone who has trained with him, played with or against him. Everyone in the game will tell you how good he is. As a coach it must be so good to have a coach on the field like him. 

That’s not to say he doesn’t deserve to have his place questioned, because he does, but you can see why coaches want him there. Also, with the stage Borthwick is at with this England team, you can see why he’d prefer the stability of Farrell over the exuberance of Smith. 

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

He’s been playing really well for Saracens this season.

It’s not just coaches who rate him, you listen to anyone who has trained with him, played with or against him. Everyone in the game will tell you how good he is. As a coach it must be so good to have a coach on the field like him. 

That’s not to say he doesn’t deserve to have his place questioned, because he does, but you can see why coaches want him there. Also, with the stage Borthwick is at with this England team, you can see why he’d prefer the stability of Farrell over the exuberance of Smith. 

Yep, agree with that, particularly the second paragraph. Would’ve written similar if I wasn’t posting and watching at the same time.

Everyone in the game who works with him rates him extremely highly. Whereas, at least at international level, almost every fan thinks he’s somewhere between poor and limited - particularly at 12.

I don’t see his game management as anything special. He’s consistently failed to get back lines going, he’s not elusive, quick or powerful. But I acknowledge that there must be something us laypeople are missing.

I think he’s been objectively poor this 6N, though. A lot of bad decisions and execution when kicking the ball away. Place kicking has been awful. 44% success rate.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2023 at 18:18, theboyangel said:

I genuinely think Farrell holds England back

his kicking this 6N has been appalling. used to be mr reliable. now that seems to have changed he's lost a big reason why he kept getting picked

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very bold move by Borthwick to put Smith in. I really wasn’t expecting it especially after being released from camp last week. It could really work though as kicking back to France is playing to the French strengths. 
I really like Borthwick, he speaks well, to the point and seems to judge each game on its merits and picks a team accordingly. 

• Like 1

It’s men against boys. France are significantly quicker and stronger of body and mind. Even our supposedly big lads like Dombrandt are being manhandled. There are so, so many levels between these two sides at the moment. 

• Like 1

Â