Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

Newcastle have lots of big names, reading don't. Look at the league. First and foremost there must be a functioning team. If subsequent signings are prestige players it would be immense, but I would take a team of hardworking professionals over names signed for their own sake. Just because they aren't big names, does not mean they would not improve our first team or give options with regard to team formation. Any random right back from a middling prem. team would be in our first team. And any halfway decent defensive midfielder.

Newcastle are an anomoly. Reading on the other hand are a common occurence and only bolton have ever been able to turn the first good season into a dynasty. For reading look at Sunderland 2001, Ipswich qualifying for europe and then getting relegated. These teams get found out eventually when opposition managers work out how to best play them in the second season. You can get a limited side to work hard be disciplined and over achieve only for so long before you have to add more quality to survive.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ we will sign better than Muntari and Distan. The reason we haven't signed them is because MON doesn't want them! As far as you know Naismith could be a better player than Muntari.

I have never felt that taking players that might be good in th elong run is what Villa needs to do...for me I have always had a wish that the club would go BIG in order to take the first team to another level. We have good youth within our squad, so why buy another one that is not guaranteed to be a successful footballer? I cant see the logic in this. Villa need to improve the first team and we can never do that by taking players in that doesnt fit the first eleven.

You've missed my point entirely tricella.

Nope...I havent really...but what I meant is that I hope Villa buy players that will improve the first team hugely. I understand that MON is looking at the big picture...and not only trying to get a quality first team. I still think that Villa need to focus on the Big ones first and foremost because we are a little bit behind in quality on the first team. If we buy "potential players" first and then try to get a few giants...we might end up in a difficult position and lose out on the best prospects this summer. I dont think that will happen, but you can never know.

Rumours are a bit thin on the ground aren't they in terms of the national papers?

I like a few rumours to keep me going until the real stuff starts.

I think this is why everyone seems to be going nuts on this thread. We need rumours damn it!!

Newcastle are an anomoly. Reading on the other hand are a common occurence and only bolton have ever been able to turn the first good season into a dynasty. For reading look at Sunderland 2001, Ipswich qualifying for europe and then getting relegated. These teams get found out eventually when opposition managers work out how to best play them in the second season. You can get a limited side to work hard be disciplined and over achieve only for so long before you have to add more quality to survive.

Point is, if we do go for top signings, I would rather have a carew/young type who fit into a system rather than a real marquee player for whom we have to adapt a new system, and who does not gel with our overall style of play.

I have never felt that taking players that might be good in th elong run is what Villa needs to do...for me I have always had a wish that the club would go BIG in order to take the first team to another level. We have good youth within our squad, so why buy another one that is not guaranteed to be a successful footballer? I cant see the logic in this. Villa need to improve the first team and we can never do that by taking players in that doesnt fit the first eleven.

You've missed my point entirely tricella.

Nope...I havent really...but what I meant is that I hope Villa buy players that will improve the first team hugely. I understand that MON is looking at the big picture...and not only trying to get a quality first team. I still think that Villa need to focus on the Big ones first and foremost because we are a little bit behind in quality on the first team. If we buy "potential players" first and then try to get a few giants...we might end up in a difficult position and lose out on the best prospects this summer. I dont think that will happen, but you can never know.

My point was that this summer Villa may very well do both - in fact I'd expect them to do both. Buy first teamers and potential. Spurs have been doing it like that recently too. Now they have Lennon and Huddlestone as a result of it. But I know if we end up buying the equivalent to a Huddlestone (at the time when they bought him) this forum will be up in arms.

I think this is why everyone seems to be going nuts on this thread. We need rumours damn it!!

Do you not think that there has been a definite attempt on behalf of the club so far to be quiet with regard to transfers. In previous years we have had to officially play up every link, so that it looks like we have ambition.

I prefer this way.

Spurs is after Wesley Sneijder now...

Where did you hear this by the way?

Here http://tinyurl.com/246ylx

Bad news for us, if true. Martin Jol is Dutch, Tottenham is in London. Could well swing it.

Not that the rumours linking us have much behind them, but this article is written by a Spurs fan on a website which describes itself as 'a fan generated experience'. I think it's just his wishful thinking to be honest.

Do you not think that there has been a definite attempt on behalf of the club so far to be quiet with regard to transfers. In previous years we have had to officially play up every link, so that it looks like we have ambition.

I prefer this way.

On a serious note its the way business should be done and deep down everyone should prefer this professional approach. On the other hand i wish fans would calm down and be a little patient and stop worrying about freebies like Distan going to other clubs. We don't need these players, MON has his own targets.

Rumours are a bit thin on the ground aren't they in terms of the national papers?

I like a few rumours to keep me going until the real stuff starts.

Mainly because the papers can fill 73 pages about the Champions LEague final until Friday - that's when the rumour mill starts turning.

Point is, if we do go for top signings, I would rather have a carew/young type who fit into a system rather than a real marquee player for whom we have to adapt a new system, and who does not gel with our overall style of play.

Actually you're spot on there mate, theres no point signing for example Riquelme, cos it wouldnt suit the 4-4-2 system. MON clearly favours wide players with two solid ball players in the middle. In fact up until Chelsea came along, and theres no point considering them in looking at trends, the english champions always played one out and out wide player and one wide player that came inside a bit more, with two solid centres-

Man Utd Giggs-Scholes-Keane-Beckham

Arsenal-Overmars-Petit-Viera-Parlour

Blackburn-Wilcox-Batty-Sherwood-Ripley

If you play a more central flair player you have to sacrifice a winger and play a solid player out wide, and this would ruin the way MON likes to play. Although Sneijder is a flair player he does like to get stuck in which is why I'd like to see us move for him.

After the weekend when the play offs are finished are when it will really warm up I think.

You mean with Villa?

Or in general?

I think the 2nd week in June!

In general.

When we know who is in what decision we get a good idea of who is available, so do the press. Then the newspapers have nothing to write about other than the occasional international game so its rumour time.

Tbh I expect our first signing around 2 weeks today.

I need all the rumors i can get, the more the better, as for being Professional, NO! I love reading pages and pages of crap links with players i have never heard of.

So, i would be greatful if someone would create a...... A Russon link from St Thomas's the next Shaun Teale or maybe a Totti story!

I just can't wait for the first signing.... fingers crossed for Bellamy and Reo Coker.