Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

If it's not even on TribalFootball or 100%fans or whatever it is called, it's probably not in the air right now.

I'd say that it not being on there was an extremely positive thing. Means that it may have an element of truth to it.

Touché my friend, but if it's not mentioned anywhere isn't it just wishful thinking and hear'say? I mean, if someone made up a rumour such as "I know Defoe is going to sign for us in a week", he is automatically linked with us even though there is just a smuck making something up, like hin staying at a hotel in Brum last January and so on.

I am NOT saying TribalFooty and FansFC are reliable, they clearly aren't, but they do also comment on true links when they are from a reliable source, unlike SkySports who don't really comment on something if it's not their own story or from their own sources.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MON knows exactly who is the best for us.He won't sign anyone if he isn't sure in his abilities.He will watch the player X over and over again until he is 100 % sure he is capable.So Bent ,Bellamy or Defoe - everyone likes different player but I trust MON and believe he'll choose the best for us.

I don't know whether or not Spurs will offer up Defoe for sale (probably they will, but personally I hope they won't), or whether Defoe wants to leave Spurs (probably he does, on balance, given the competition for starting places against Berbatov and Keane), or whether Villa would bid for him if he was available, or whether he'd sign for Villa if you did make an offer (perhaps he would), but I do know two things:

First, if he leaves, Defoe won't sign for any club outside the top 4 unless he's convinced that the buying club wants him as a first-choice, first XI striker for every match.

Second, you may (or may not) think that he won't suit your playing system, or won't fit in with your current strikers, but those who think that Defoe is somehow not good enough for Villa are in serious need of a reality check.

(don't care what he turned out to be, Sheva failed too)

Did Drogba fail the first season? How did he do this season?

Writing people off too early again? ;)

Yeah I know but Sheva is 30 going on 31 years isn't he, I think a 30M fee signals an immediate return of goals. Also, I think Drogba was excellent the first season as well as he gave them somwhat 16 assists in the league which is quite astonishing.

i agree totally, what would you rather have, a squad with defoe in, or a squad without him in?!? england international!? defoe would be a class signing. Fact

Of course we would be better off with him in our squad but that is not the point. The thing is; can we attract better players than him? If not, sign him up!

i agree totally, what would you rather have, a squad with defoe in, or a squad without him in?!? england international!? defoe would be a class signing. Fact

Just a quick note to say that ending a sentence with "fact" or "end of" doesn't actually make it so. I agree that Defoe would be a great signing, but other people don't, that's their choice. Fact. End of.

Do we really need another striker though? I know Angel has gone and Sutton will more than likely go too, but with Moore, Carew and Gabby we've got three players fighting for two places. Young and Maloney can do a job there too. A keeper, couple of defenders and a defensive midfielder are more likely to come in.

Pure guess work on my part, but I think MON may not want to sign a "top class" striker i.e. a big name who would expect to start every game. I think that both Gabby and Luke have the ability to be fairly prolific and MON will know this. However, relying on them to partner Carew is obviously risky, so i think he'll look to back them up with a "second-tier" striker, who could prove to be excellent yet not complain if he was not first choice(e.g. Marlon King?), or someone of stature who is coming to the end of his career (e.g. Viduka?). As i said, just a theory and I'd be happy to be proved wrong when we sign Huntelaar :D !

For what it's worth, i think both Gabby and Luke are better than each of the strikers we've been strongly linked with.

Do we really need another striker though? I know Angel has gone and Sutton will more than likely go too, but with Moore, Carew and Gabby we've got three players fighting for two places. Young and Maloney can do a job there too. A keeper, couple of defenders and a defensive midfielder are more likely to come in.

Young and Maloney being able to do a job isnt good enough for where we want to be. We need dedicated striking options. If Carew gets injured we're left with two and we need another on the bench to come on and change things.

Does anyone have the goals/minute stats for premiership strikers this season?

Surely that will end the petty squable?

Here is my humble feed:

Drogba - 2946 minutes - 20 goals (0,611)

Henry - 1474 - 10 goals (0,610)

Viduka - 2084 - 14 goals (0,605)

Keane - 1659 - 11 goals (0,6)

Ronaldo - 2783 - 17 goals (0,55)

McCarthy - 3050 - 18 goals (0,53)

Doyle - 2469 - 13 goals (0,474)

Defoe - 1935 - 10 goals (0,465)

Saha - 1630 - 8 goals (0,442)

Rooney - 2923 - 14 goals (0,431)

D. Bent - 2863 - 13 goals (0,41)

Berbatov - 2715 - 12 goals (0,40)

Martins - 2863 - 11 goals (0,346)

Gilberto - 2933 - 10 goals (0,3)

Lampard - 3244 - 11 goals (0,3)

Taylor - 2686 - 8 goals (0,027)

Agbonlahor - 3325 - 9 goals (0,244)

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Some truely ridiculous posts in this thread by either obvious wind up merchants or people with wierd jermain defobia (like what i did there...no..oh)...

Yes I can understand him not being some fans first choice for a new striker signing but some of you actually go on like you'd be dissapointed...almost angry to see Defoe signing for the Villa?

He hasnt played much this season but has continuously scored 15 goals plus season after season which is more than any striker weve had...

I'd prefer Bent, Tevez, Keane, Saha to Defoe...doesnt mean he isnt a quality player and I'd take him in a heart beat for 10mill or under......

As glaston said, some of us are living a pipe dream if they think Defoe isnt good enough for Villa.......