Christian Benteke

Kwan

I want a club to come for him in January, this is the silly month of transfers where Clubs always end up paying more. So bring it on Spurs.

No way.  Do you really trust us to reinvest the money sufficiently?

First and foremost I don't want him sold, however January is a month of madness, Andy Carroll cost 35million. The point is it will be above that figure to tempt us to sell in Jan. As for re-investing, yes I would trust PL with it.

The key to keeping Benteke is simply progression, I honestly think that if we did manage to go all out and snatch a Europa League spot, we could probably hold onto him for even longer.

It's understandable that if we fail to reach at least the Europa League, which I personally think would take a lot to achieve, he'll be off in the Summer. I doubt that Lambert would even consider selling him in January, he kept his man in the window just gone and I'm sure he'd be backed to keep hold of him again if that is what he wants. 

I just hope it doesn't end up horrible, which it nearly did in the Summer. I'm sure we'd all allow him to move onto bigger things but it'd be nice for it to happen with the club's blessing rather than some stupid transfer saga where we end up hating him.

Yeah me too. Guess the worry is that he sees Premier League as the best league(I am sure I have read this several places) and if that is true then it might get ugly. Hearing other chants his name, that celebration and so forth would be tough considering we don`t really have anyone to go back to....

Spurs are a top club now.

Its no surprise to me (if there is any truth in the article) that they are still interested and if so, so much for for the new contract he has signed.

Personally i feel if we get a bid of in and around 30m Lerner will instruct Lambert to sell.

The problem for Lambert is (with Benteke sold) that we've already Gabby, Kozak, Helenius and Bowery at the club with another two strikers out on loan and no assurance that they won't be coming back again.

So does Lambert go looking for a 5th or a 7th striker based on the worst case scenario?

If he does then is it an admittance that his previous purchases in the striker role haven't come up to scratch?

Its no surprise to me (if there is any truth in the article) that they are still interested and if so, so much for for the new contract he has signed.

Personally i feel if we get a bid of in and around 30m Lerner will instruct Lambert to sell.

The problem for Lambert is (with Benteke sold) that we've already Gabby, Kozak, Helenius and Bowery at the club with another two strikers out on loan and no assurance that they won't be coming back again.

So does Lambert go looking for a 5th or a 7th striker based on the worst case scenario?

If he does then is it an admittance that his previous purchases in the striker role haven't come up to scratch?

Why does everything have to revolve around Lambert being proven "wrong"?

You have no proof they didn't offer that in the summer.

Only the posts you respond to.

That doesn't even make sense.

But can you not see that spending a large sum of money on a new striker isn't necessarily an "admittance" of anything? If the club was bought by some mega-rich oil baron and we went on a City-esque spending spree I'm pretty sure even some of our best players would find themselves sidelined. It's got nothing to do with them not being up to scratch but rather a result of a dramatic change in funding. Likewise, if we sell Benteke for £30m+ and Lambert gets to spend that on a replacement striker it's a reflection of the jump in funds available that window compared to all the other windows.

• Like 1

Paul Faulkner in his question and answer session last Friday stated clearly that Benteke is three months into a four year deal and loves it at Villa.  He also stated that there were no plans to sell him after the summer.

I'm not naive  and I realise every player in the world will have their price BUT I'm pretty sure there is zero chance Benteke will be sold in January -especially to a tinpot outfit like Spurs. The Star are trying to generate website hits from Villa, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool fans.  Nothing to see here. 

It is inevitable that there will be transfer rumours about Benteke right up until the eleventh hour on January 31 2014 because let's face it everybody knows he is absolute class.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of fans would consider it madness to sell him in January & expect our club to wait until at least  after the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil in order to secure an optimum price for our club.

The equation is simple:

Sell Benteke for £35 M plus in January 2014 = probable relegation & a loss of £75M TV revenue plus.

Keep Benteke for the whole season = A better overall season than last year & possible flirtation with a European slot & a decent F A Cup run.

I know some might argue that if we reinvested funds from a potential January sale in seeking Benteke's replacement that we might not necessarily go down.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take that chance.

Bottom line - Enjoy & treasure the beast whilst he remains an Aston Villa player.

• Like 1

That doesn't even make sense.

But can you not see that spending a large sum of money on a new striker isn't necessarily an "admittance" of anything? If the club was bought by some mega-rich oil baron and we went on a City-esque spending spree I'm pretty sure even some of our best players would find themselves sidelined. It's got nothing to do with them not being up to scratch but rather a result of a dramatic change in funding. Likewise, if we sell Benteke for £30m+ and Lambert gets to spend that on a replacement striker it's a reflection of the jump in funds available that window compared to all the other windows.

It makes perfect sense.

We're not talking about some 'mega-rich oil Baron' though are we. We're talking about Lerner and the proceeds from the sale of one player which was probably agreed between player and club last summer.

With that in mind we have however gone and spent 4m-7m (which ever you believe) on another striker who was suppose to fit our system better and replace Darren Bent.

So when Benteke is sold who do we let go from the seven strikers on our books? Helenius who was purchased as a future prospect? Bowery who was purchased as a future prospect? Bent who might not be wanted at Fulham and difficult to sell due to his wages? Kozak who has just been purchased? Gabby who is Villa through and through and might not want to leave and Fonz who isn't exactly doing himself any favours either.

That is of course the worst case scenario but even if we do get rid of Bent and Fonz there is still the wages to pay for the other five and then the new striker purchased with the revenue from Benteke's sale.

As we've seen already it isn't as easy to get rid of players you don't want whether its an admittance to getting a transfer wrong or not.  

Edited by Morpheus
  • Like 1

It makes perfect sense.

We're not talking about some 'mega-rich oil Baron' though are we. We're talking about Lerner and the proceeds from the sale of one player which was probably agreed between player and club last summer.

With that in mind we have however gone and spent 4m-7m (which ever you believe) on another striker who was suppose to fit our system better and replace Darren Bent.

So when Benteke is sold who do we let go from the seven strikers on our books? Helenius who was purchased as a future prospect? Bowery who was purchased as a future prospect? Bent who might not be wanted at Fulham and difficult to sell due to his wages? Kozak who has just been purchased? Gabby who is Villa through and through and might not want to leave and Fonz who isn't exactly doing himself any favours either.

That is of course the worst case scenario but even if we do get rid of Bent and Fonz there is still the wages to pay for the other five and then the new striker purchased with the revenue from Benteke's sale.

As we've seen already it isn't as easy to get rid of players you don't want whether its an admittance to getting a transfer wrong or not.  

No, it doesn't make sense. It's not just in the post I respond to.

It's the same principle. If we sell Benteke for a large amount and Lambert gets that money then he'll have considerably more to spend that window than he's ever had before. "admittance" of getting a transfer "wrong" doesn't even have anything to do with it.

Â