Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I must be the only villa fan that would take Defoe and money ( Hopefully alot otherwise i'd reconsider ) for Benteke.

Can't see it happening anyway so may aswell dismiss it. Defenders please ? Yawn...

Really??? -_- Defoe is dog shit... exactly the same as Bent (Who we are trying to sell)...... We have been burnt in the past with player exchanges so I doubt we will be doing one with such an important deal for the club... If we do sell Benteke, should really go after Bony again!

Defoe is not dog shit and is better than Bent in the that he scores a whole range of goals (bar headers). He was in and out of the team last year and bagged 19 goals so he is clearly not shit. I would have him, but I do not want him.

I'm not a big fan of his to be honest.... Granted I went over the top saying he's shit... But I don't see us wanting him in a swap deal, I doubt Defoe would want to come here and Lambert would have targets in mind for strikers... Bony...?

Can we stop talking about Spurs reject exchanges please!

We are not too big or good for them you know. Spurs are well and truly ahead of us by light years at the minute and whilst their fringe players don't exactly go with what seems to be our current plan, they would easily get into the team on talent alone.

So you think we should sell our best player to them, accepting less cash to accommodate a player they seem to want to lose from their wage bill?

Edited by Nigel

We are not too big or good for them you know. Spurs are well and truly ahead of us by light years at the minute and whilst their fringe players don't exactly go with what seems to be our current plan, they would easily get into the team on talent alone.

Have to agree Woodytom.

Defoe at the right price and on the right wages would be a decent signing on its own but neither a replacement for Benteke nor a makeweight in any deal concerning Benteke. 

• Like 1

Have to agree Woodytom.

Defoe at the right price (won't be) and on the right wages (won't be) would be a decent signing on its own but neither a replacement for Benteke nor a makeweight in any deal concerning Benteke (will be).

I don't see how you can agree when the breakdown of the signing, the profile of the player coming in and the rumoured fee means that none of your 3 transfer criteria are likely to be satisfied.

Defoe is a good player but not what we'd be after. There are players that we would take from spurs though, the likes of Sigurdsen, Caulker, Lennon etc would all greatly add to our team, fit in with way we play and fit in with the young ethos.. Can't see any of it happening and can't see Lambert agreeing to any part exchanges. Our board have been good at negotiating outgoing transfers recently (young,downing) so don't really see this as a problem.

So you think we should sell our best player to them, accepting less cash to accommodate a player they seem to want to lose from their wage bill?

No I don't. I just think your request to stop talking about Jermain Defoe as if we are too good for him was well wide of the mark.

I must be the only villa fan that would take Defoe and money ( Hopefully alot otherwise i'd reconsider ) for Benteke.

Can't see it happening anyway so may aswell dismiss it. Defenders please ? Yawn...

Really??? -_- Defoe is dog shit... exactly the same as Bent (Who we are trying to sell)...... We have been burnt in the past with player exchanges so I doubt we will be doing one with such an important deal for the club... If we do sell Benteke, should really go after Bony again!

Defoe is not dog shit and is better than Bent in the that he scores a whole range of goals (bar headers). He was in and out of the team last year and bagged 19 goals so he is clearly not shit. I would have him, but I do not want him.

I'm not a big fan of his to be honest.... Granted I went over the top saying he's shit... But I don't see us wanting him in a swap deal, I doubt Defoe would want to come here and Lambert would have targets in mind for strikers... Bony...?

I agree with everything you have said there, however I have absolutely no idea what 'Bony' means??

Have to agree Woodytom.

Defoe at the right price and on the right wages would be a decent signing on its own but neither a replacement for Benteke nor a makeweight in any deal concerning Benteke. 

....or (If he has to be sold) we could get his true value in cash from another suiter, then replace him with someone who wont be a massive drain on finances and on the decline.

Just a note. We are currently too good up front for Defoe. That's why Spurs are trying to take our striker and give us theirs. Just a thought. Sorry if that reads like supporting my club and not bigging up a rival.

• Like 3

Have to agree Woodytom.

Defoe at the right price (won't be) and on the right wages (won't be) would be a decent signing on its own but neither a replacement for Benteke nor a makeweight in any deal concerning Benteke (will be).

I don't see how you can agree when the breakdown of the signing, the profile of the player coming in and the rumoured fee means that none of your 3 transfer criteria are likely to be satisfied.

Defoe and his agent taking the player's age into consideration might have to amend their contract demands though BOF. I cannot see anyone giving him £70,000 per week on an extended contract with his injury record.  

Edited by Morpheus

No I don't. I just think your request to stop talking about Jermain Defoe as if we are too good for him was well wide of the mark.

When did I say we are too good for Defoe?

Good lord there was so much transfer optimism earlier in the week ,  now the black clouds have descended and it's not even the end of June

Just sit back and relax,  dont get upset and see what business the club do

Expect some early news,  then a break and then some later news.  There will be signings you know,  and players leaving.  There may actually be more out than ins,  there may even be more than 5 signed so lets just enjoy a summer of continued team strengthening

Defoe and his agent taking the player's age into consideration might have to amend their wage demands though BOF. I cannot see anyone giving him £70,000 an extended contract with his injury record.

This will be the last big contract of his football career. If you honestly think an England international is going to agree to come here for what we might consider a reasonable wage then we'll agree to disagree. That also assumes Levy has valued his 30 year old striker at a sane price, which is not his usual M.O. either. I can't see a realistic scenario where we come out a winner in all of this.

I agree with everything you have said there, however I have absolutely no idea what 'Bony' means??

He means Wilfried Bony from Vitesse. Unless this was some sort of sarcasm or something I didn`t get.

Defoe is a good player but would really be a step down from benteke. Besides, he is the type we don`t need at all. That doesn`t mean he is a bad striker at all but we would end up with little to no cash, I guess around 12-17 mill + him which would be robbery considering benteke will have a much higher resale value while defoe would be worth basically nothing. And I don`t think he would play for us either, and his wages are too high. If we are trying to make a change at this club, this is going in the wrong direction.

Defoe is well above many strikers in the PL, no argument there.

Just a note. We are currently too good up front for Defoe. That's why Spurs are trying to take our striker and give us theirs. Just a thought. Sorry if that reads like supporting my club and not bigging up a rival.

Its a fair point BOF but with respect I disagree. As it stands, up front is our strongest position. However, We can not really take Gabbys form seriously because we know he is probably a  game away from being shite for a few months. (Fingers crossed this times, he is for real). Weimann is still pretty much unproven (however I dont think you need reminding how big of a fan I am). Weimann's future is also not certain like Benteke.

So whilst I agree, that as it stands we don't need Defoe - I do not think we are in a position to just dismiss him quite so easily.

I don't feel that is bigging up a rival and not supporting my club. I just feel its a realistic view of where the club is and our current striker negotiations.

I will reiterate that I don't see Defoe as fitting Lambert's plans and he would not be my choice either. There is an awful awful lot worse though.

He means Wilfried Bony from Vitesse. Unless this was some sort of sarcasm or something I didn`t get.

Defoe is a good player but would really be a step down from benteke. Besides, he is the type we don`t need at all. That doesn`t mean he is a bad striker at all but we would end up with little to no cash, I guess around 12-17 mill + him which would be robbery considering benteke will have a much higher resale value while defoe would be worth basically nothing. And I don`t think he would play for us either, and his wages are too high. If we are trying to make a change at this club, this is going in the wrong direction.

Indeed.. I meant Wilf Bony from vitesse!! He would be the logical replacement.... same abilities as Benteke.

No sarcasm. I have never heard of the lad.

When did I say we are too good for Defoe?

You did not. Your initial post implied that however. If I have read that wrong then apologies, but that is how it came across.

For our style there isn't a lot worse. He's the opposite of what we have up front. He's precisely what we have on the bench. He's the proverbial inflatable dart board. If they were hell-bent on signing Benteke then it's all cash please because they have no-one up front that I'd take as any kind of squad player. Spurs may be ahead of us at the moment but that's despite their strikeforce, not because of it.