Mixtape Gift

dont_do_it_doug.

Danny Baker – “Enough Records” (spoken word clip from “Morning Edition”) ….Certainly not. The playlist stands.

If that clip of Dan is the one I think it is, read this, Mike, if you have a mo’, as a counter, from the Afterword. It’s a lovely well written comment on more recent music.

If that clip of Dan is the one I think it is, read this, Mike, if you have a mo’, as a counter, from the Afterword. It’s a lovely well written comment on more recent music.

Dangerdoom's 'Mouse & The Mask' was one of the albums that convinced the (Indie/Folk/Classical) girlfriend that some Hip Hop wasn't complete pap.

My mate Chris is on the Unthanks album, so that's fine here too.

I can't see Mike digging Burial ;)

• Like 1

The clip isn't the one you're thinking of (I know which one you mean).

This one goes something like: 

Baker (to caller): "So, do you do that thing where you leave records in the car, and wait till your wife is in another room, then sneak out and smuggle them into the house?"

Caller (laughing): "Oh, YOU do that too, do you?"

Baker: "Oh, for sure. Wendy once said to me: 'Haven't you got enough records?'. (Splutter) 'Enough records'?!?!?!!! ...You can have enough fruit. You can have enough carpets. But you can't have 'enough records' !!!"

agree.gif

Edited by mjmooney

The clip isn't the one you're thinking of (I know which one you mean).

This one goes something like: 

Baker (to caller): "So, do you do that thing where you leave records in the car, and wait till your wife is in another room, then sneak out and smuggle them into the house?"

Caller (laughing): "Oh, YOU do that too, do you?"

Baker: "Oh, for sure. Wendy once said to me: 'Haven't you got enough records?'. (Splutter) 'Enough records'?!?!?!!! ...You can have enough fruit. You can have enough carpets. But you can't have 'enough records' !!!"

agree.gif

It then goes into The Faces' "Stay With Me".

Still makes me smile.

Dangerdoom's 'Mouse & The Mask' was one of the albums that convinced the (Indie/Folk/Classical) girlfriend that some Hip Hop wasn't complete pap.

My mate Chris is on the Unthanks album, so that's fine here too.

I can't see Mike digging Burial ;)

I read that article, and first off it was clear that that guy's tastes were a bit different from mine to start with. I suspect he's at least ten years younger.

However, I took his list of things he's got into lately and did a quick YouTube checkout.

Here are the results:

Amy Winehouse - Back To Black

Already familiar with. It’s OK. Wouldn’t buy it though.

Burial – Untrue

Pretty dreadful. Manages to be simultaneously boring and irritatating.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

The vocals are actually OK, clearly a Gil Scott heron influence there. But the backing tracks – ugh. Couldn’t stand more than 30 seconds of any track. Effectively unlistenable, like all rap/hip-hop.

Craig Finn

Not bad at all, but I have lots of stuff like this.

The Killers – Hot Fuss

Meh. U2 meets Duran Duran.

Super Furry Animals - Dark Days/Light Years

Meh. Boring and irritating in a completely different way from Burial.

The Black Keys - El Camino

Already familiar with. OK, but my comments on Amy Winehouse and Craig Finn apply.

The Shins

Hmmm. Quite like this lot. Not inspired enough to buy, though.

Interpol

Sounded promising until the vocals kicked in. Meh.

The Gaslight Anthem - 59 Sounds

Yeah, this I like. But see Craig Finn.

The Libertines

See Amy Winehouse.

Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

Meh. That old boring/irritating mix again.

Anna Calvi

Meh. Faux-intense female singers are two a penny.

Agnes Obel

Zzzzzzzzzzz…..

Epic45 - May Your Heart Be Your Map

Zzzzzzzzzzz…..

The Unthanks  - Here's The Tender Coming

Well, yeah, folk. Nice enough. But the accents grate too much. The fiddle’s good, though.

Fever Ray

Post Krautrock. Was never my favourite genre. Meh.

Grimes - Visions

Boring/irritating strikes again, this time with the accent on irritating.

Robyn - Body Talk

Disco pop? **** off.

Gorillaz – Demon Days

Just plain irritating.

Dangerdoom - The Mouse And The Mask

Shite.

Overall thoughts - even the stuff I quite liked doesn't come within a zillion miles of even the average late 60s/early 70s material that forms the bulk of my collection.

Edited by mjmooney

I suspect he's at least ten years younger.

A tad less curmudgeonly too by the sound of it. :P

Overall thoughts - even the stuff I quite liked doesn't come within a zillion miles of even the average late 60s/early 70s material that forms the bulk of my collection.

Well aye, but you must admit there's some cause for hope.

I suspect he's at least ten years younger.

A tad less curmudgeonly too by the sound of it. :P

Well aye, but you must admit there's some cause for hope.

Sure. Plenty of good stuff around for those that want it. It's just that on the whole I don't. It's nothing to do with being curmudgeonly, it's just that I have no great drive to seek out novelty when I already have access to a bottomless source of music that makes me immensely happy. Anything else is just hard work, which just seems crazy.

Anything else is just hard work, which just seems crazy.

How did you find Big Big Train?

Track on the cover disc of Prog magazine. Thing is, they are old-ish guys, playing music absolutely in an old tradition. Pretty much NO post 70s influences in there at all. 

• 3 weeks later...

So seeing as Did is ignoring this thread, I am going to hijack it for my own means.

I want a mixtape/playlist of girl only bands. No boys allowed. They have to have at least 2 members, so no solo artists. No pop, but apart from that, genre is of no real concern, other than I want a mix. I don't want it to be all Riot Grrl, for example. Here is what I have so far

Slant 6

Mika Miko

OOIOO

Amiina

CocoRosie

Kunt

There's also a 2-piece female doom band, but damned if I can remember the name of them. I thought one of the used to be in KEN Mode, but google hasn't provided many clues thus far. Daughters of/Queens of/...something?

So seeing as Did is ignoring this thread, I am going to hijack it for my own means.

I want a mixtape/playlist of girl only bands. No boys allowed. They have to have at least 2 members, so no solo artists. No pop, but apart from that, genre is of no real concern, other than I want a mix. I don't want it to be all Riot Grrl, for example. Here is what I have so far

Slant 6

Mika Miko

OOIOO

Amiina

CocoRosie

Kunt

There's also a 2-piece female doom band, but damned if I can remember the name of them. I thought one of the used to be in KEN Mode, but google hasn't provided many clues thus far. Daughters of/Queens of/...something?

Here are my suggestions

Edited by 8pints

The Libertines

I can remember being there. There's a lot of subtlety in the Libs melodies and it takes quite a few listenings to get it. Then it moves from meh! to music you listen to compulsively.

The Libertines

I can remember being there. There's a lot of subtlety in the Libs melodies and it takes quite a few listenings to get it. Then it moves from meh! to music you listen to compulsively.

Sure, the first album is fine. But essentially it's a Kinks+Clash template. Good recipe, but doesn't really have anything special over those bands for me.

Â