The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

My wife has been known to tut and roll her eyes and grumble a bit when I buy another instrument, but she's never asked me to get rid of any, bless her. 

Although with ten, I think I'm about done. At worst, one in, one out. Probably. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

But... why? Is it for the money? And it's your guitar, so can you spend the proceeds on yourself? Or do you have to put in in the household kitty? 

Or is it taking up space? I don't know how many instruments you own, but I guess if this is just one of many, I can grudgingly understand. But if it's your only acoustic - out of order! 

I mean, c'mon man... a Martin...  :(

Oh, if I was really whingey about it, she wouldn't mind I kept everything, so it's some of me, too. The Martin is an amazing instrument, and I love it, but we do have a lot of gear at our house, and I don't find myself playing the Martin very much these days. It sounds strange, too, but if you know Martins, you know they always feel SO delicate and fragile, and I just feel like it's a hazard around here, like I'm going to trip over it and smash it to pieces on day lol. When I bought my last one, I said I would cull the herd (but didn't), too. I do have a pretty good Yamaha FG735S acoustic, too, and at least one of my friends claims it sounds much better than the USA-made Martin. It's a rosewood instrument with a spruce top. I'm kind of a big Eliott Smith fan, and he played Yamaha acoustics, although he recorded with a Martin mostly, if I recall correctly. This is the same as my Yamaha. I also have a crazy-cheap but good Epiphone Les Paul junior and a decent bass my son plays. I coujld probably get away with keeping the guitars I have, but buying another isn't happening unless I sell, I feel. Call it "Household FFP."

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Oh, if I was really whingey about it, she wouldn't mind I kept everything, so it's some of me, too. The Martin is an amazing instrument, and I love it, but we do have a lot of gear at our house, and I don't find myself playing the Martin very much these days. It sounds strange, too, but if you know Martins, you know they always feel SO delicate and fragile, and I just feel like it's a hazard around here, like I'm going to trip over it and smash it to pieces on day lol. When I bought my last one, I said I would cull the herd (but didn't), too. I do have a pretty good Yamaha FG735S acoustic, too, and at least one of my friends claims it sounds much better than the USA-made Martin. It's a rosewood instrument with a spruce top. I'm kind of a big Eliott Smith fan, and he played Yamaha acoustics, although he recorded with a Martin mostly, if I recall correctly. This is the same as my Yamaha. I also have a crazy-cheap but good Epiphone Les Paul junior and a decent bass my son plays. I coujld probably get away with keeping the guitars I have, but buying another isn't happening unless I sell, I feel. Call it "Household FFP."

I've got that one too.  I'm very intermediate as a guitarist and it does me well.

12 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've got that one too.  I'm very intermediate as a guitarist and it does me well.

Yes, perfect for an intermediate. Easy to play, narrow neck if you have smaller hands (I don't, but still), really great sustain, and neither too boomy and dark or too shimmery and thin. I find Martins easier to play and more resonant, but the Yamaha is one I can just grab and play and not feel nervous about handling.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I don't believe you have actually stated what type of Martin it is that you are potentially going to get rid of, but as its second hand and extremely delicate and fragile (your words not mine) I am willing to take a punt on it for £150, drop us a message and we can arrange a time for me to come and pick it up tomorrow.

I am still at the point where I am perfectly content with my guitars, got my Tele, Les Paul, Martin, Taylor, Tanglewood, Epi Hummingbird 12 string, Squire Bass, Martin Backpacker and a uke...but I'm sure I could make room for one more Martin if needs be

• Haha 2

Must admit, with my limited abilities, there are some guitars I drool over, but feel I just don't deserve/can't justify - Martins, Les Pauls, 335s, etc. 

Hence my collection is mainly mid-range stuff - Seagulls, Epiphones, Gretches. Plus the one luxury of a good Telecaster. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I don't believe you have actually stated what type of Martin it is that you are potentially going to get rid of, but as its second hand and extremely delicate and fragile (your words not mine) I am willing to take a punt on it for £150, drop us a message and we can arrange a time for me to come and pick it up tomorrow.

I am still at the point where I am perfectly content with my guitars, got my Tele, Les Paul, Martin, Taylor, Tanglewood, Epi Hummingbird 12 string, Squire Bass, Martin Backpacker and a uke...but I'm sure I could make room for one more Martin if needs be

Haha.  That sounds like a great collection. What sort of tele have you got? I'm sure you have the sonic zone of a Martin 000-15M already covered. It's one of the cheapest USA-made made, all Mahogany. It's what that Gerry Cinnamon fellow plays. 

41 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Must admit, with my limited abilities, there are some guitars I drool over, but feel I just don't deserve/can't justify - Martins, Les Pauls, 335s, etc. 

Hence my collection is mainly mid-range stuff - Seagulls, Epiphones, Gretches. Plus the one luxury of a good Telecaster. 

Or maybe, the worse a guitarist, the better the guitar you need for the comfort of those around you? Or something? Some guitars are so nice, you can hardly get a bad sound outta them.

But back to yours, oooooooooh. What sort of Gretsch and Tele?

Edited by Marka Ragnos

31 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Haha.  That sounds like a great collection. What sort of tele have you got? I'm sure you have the sonic zone of a Martin 000-15M already covered. It's one of the cheapest USA-made made, all Mahogany. It's what that Gerry Cinnamon fellow plays. 

I actually have a Martin 000-10e, so the offer of £150 still stands

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

But back to yours, oooooooooh. What sort of Gretsch and Tele?

The Gretsch is a cheapo G2622 Streamliner, bought new a couple of years ago. The Tele is a 2004 American Deluxe that I bought secondhand off a mate. Best electric I've ever owned. 

Screenshot_2023-08-05-08-00-11-14_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Screenshot_2023-08-05-07-59-25-35_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The Gretsch is a cheapo G2622 Streamliner, bought new a couple of years ago. The Tele is a 2004 American Deluxe that I bought secondhand off a mate. Best electric I've ever owned. 

Screenshot_2023-08-05-08-00-11-14_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Screenshot_2023-08-05-07-59-25-35_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

That Fender … 🤤 a byoot. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

That Fender … 🤤 a byoot. 

Thanks. It's just a dream to play. It even avoids the usual Telecaster 'rib bruising', as it has a Strat-style contoured back. 

Screenshot_2023-07-20-13-40-14-91_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Thanks. It's just a dream to play. It even avoids the usual Telecaster 'rib bruising', as it has a Strat-style contoured back. 

Screenshot_2023-07-20-13-40-14-91_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Ah, lovely -- and I see the famous Microtilt® adjuster. Never had one of those.

13 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Ah, lovely -- and I see the famous Microtilt® adjuster. Never had one of those.

Never needed to touch it, it's set up perfectly. Best neck I've ever played. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

@Marka Ragnos Yamaha SG-2000 article in this month's 'Guitar Player' magazine: 

Screenshot_2023-08-06-16-43-16-47_95f386291335f2e6c5e425036971bb4e.jpg

Fantastic article -- THANK you! Really interesting. I was always puzzled about why it seemed to attract so many UK players in the early 80s, and it turns out, because it was an amazing instrument. I remember Midge Ure and Glenn Tilbrook playing it, too. Dream guitar for me. I also played a Japanese guitar that was stunning when it came out in that era --- a 1978 Ibanez Iceman. It was definitely better than anything Gibson was making back then, but it got popular in the 80s and declined. A friend of mine had one of those awful Gibsons from that era -- the infamous Sonex, body not even made of all wood. Thanks again for sharing this.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

16 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

A friend of mine had one of those awful Gibsons from that era -- the infamous Sonex, body not even made of all wood.

Whoa, hold on there, bro. I still have my beloved Sonex, bought new in 1980, and it's a fine guitar. Forget the 'tonewood' snobbery - that synthetic body and the Dirty Fingers pickups mean it sustains like the proverbial bitch (it weighs a ton, mind). Their reputation has completely changed nowadays, and they sell for well north of a grand in good condition. It's been relegated in my pecking order by the Telecaster, but I still wouldn't part with it. Here's me with it, in the 1980s (sorry to bore those who've seen this before): 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Whoa, hold on there, bro. I still have my beloved Sonex, bought new in 1980, and it's a fine guitar. Forget the 'tonewood' snobbery - that synthetic body and the Dirty Fingers pickups mean it sustains like the proverbial bitch (it weighs a ton, mind). Their reputation has completely changed nowadays, and they sell for well north of a grand in good condition. It's been relegated in my pecking order by the Telecaster, but I still wouldn't part with it. Here's me with it, in the 1980s (sorry to bore those who've seen this before): 

!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, excellent. I must say, I'm quoting from what my mate always says about his Sonex. He didn't like it because I think he was sort of embarrassed by it and in the day, it didn't have any retro cool value.  He was 15. He sawed off the bottom horn and re-attached with a hinge so he could knock it like door knocker. Someone stole it. He eventually bought a Fender Telecaster (also stolen) -- and now he's back to Gibson and has a Custom Shop ES which cost a zillion dollars and does sound heavenly, but not $7,000 heavenly! 

I see that Dx-7 in the background -- I had one of those back in the day lol. Classic.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I see that Dx-7 in the background -- I had one of those back in the day lol. Classic

The iconic 80s keyboard. 

I hated it.  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â