The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I just saw that on FB, literally 30 seconds ago. 

Dust To Digital?

That's the thing with FB, it pushes us all into groups friends are in. Everyone ends up looking at the same stuff.

You're probably being offered groups that I'm in, and wondering why on Earth it's being suggested? :D

21 minutes ago, Xann said:

That's the thing with FB, it pushes us all into groups friends are in. Everyone ends up looking at the same stuff.

You're probably being offered groups that I'm in, and wondering why on Earth it's being suggested

I think you were responsible for Pépé Deluxe. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

just ordered myself an Alvarez Tenor Ukulele 

image.png.bdc639d01ae1ec8735212ed804491e5f.png

I've got one already but its an absolute bag of shit, I wanted something that I could just mess about with while sitting at home working, ideally I want a Martin Backpacker but they are all out of stock for the foreseeable, this was only £50, ukes are alright for a bit of cheap fun

^^^^

Post of the week (in this thread, anyway)! I'll forgive Rza his transgressions, give what you say. And Mendoza - wow. I'm with you on the Both Sides Now album - total masterpiece. Is your stuff going to be released? 

Edited by mjmooney

49 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

^^^^

Post of the week (in this thread, anyway)! I'll forgive Rza his transgressions, give what you say. And Mendoza - wow. I'm with you on the Both Sides Now album - total masterpiece. Is your stuff going to be released? 

Sadly no - it was a live show last night.

I did go and say "thanks for the music and all you've produced and done" but he's quite shy and soft spoken so I didn't even feel comfortable asking for a photo.

I'm going to email him though and just say how much I enjoyed working with him. :thumb:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

This week I played some new music with Rza

Awesome. He’s one gifted musician. I’m not big into hip hop at all, but his soundtrack stuff is tremendous..Through a mixture of him doing the soundtrack to one of my favourite films - Ghost Dog, and listening to a podcast interview with Kate/Kae Tempest plus a bit of a liking for some Wu Tang stuff, I’m well impressed with that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Back to the open mic circuit tonight, first time in two years. 🤞

Went OK. Unfortunately it was oversubscribed - by the time I got there all the early slots had been booked, so I ended going on after the headliners (who overran). But I still got a really good response, and the organiser promised me a four song slot next week (when some friends of mine are headlining). 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Martin Steel String Backpacker Travel Guitar Left Handed at Gear4music

Martin Backpacker being delivered tomorrow, I've been waiting ages for these to come back into stock, its a complete punt, I've never played one and it might be absolutely horrible...still, at the very least it looks weird enough to be a conversation starter 

and here's a picture of the whole family, its not as impressive as some people on here have got but I'm quite happy with it for the moment, I won't be looking at any new stuff for a good long time now and due to lack of space it will mean I'll have to sell to buy.

From the left, Martin Backpacker, Squire Jazz, Tanglewood electro acoustic, Epiphone Les Paul, Taylor Academy 10, Martin 000-10e, Takamine electro acoustic 12 string, Alvarez Uke

The next guitar that I do purchase will be a massive upgrade and I'll probably look to replace the Tanglewood, that's about 20 years old.

IMG_20220320_0958474.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

and here's a picture of the whole family

Inspired by the above, I thought I'd do likewise. 

Top: the electric family (l-r) 

Fender Mustang bass 
Danelectro DC59 12 string 
Gretsch Streamliner G2622 
Gibson Sonex 180 Custom 
Epiphone Les Paul Special II 
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster 
Ashbury lap steel 

Middle: the acoustic family (l-r) 

Seagull S12+ 12 string 
Seagull S(M)6 
Epiphone EJ-200SCE 
Epiphone PR350S 
Granada Spanish 
Harley Benton CLR resonator 

Bottom: the weirdos (l-r) 

G4M banjo 
Ozark bouzouki 
G4M mandolin 
Stagg ukulele 

Low-res pics, unfortunately. 

Family.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

I recently sold my banjo, I wasn't playing it enough to justify keeping it, same reason I got rid of my piano.

What do you play most Mooney, do you gravitate to the electrics or acoustics? 

I really want a Telecaster but I know that after a few months I'd switch back over to the acoustic.

Â