This Too Shall Pass

Guest av1

After recenctly going through a difficult period in my life I kept reminding myself of this quote that I heard a few years back.

That in mind, I thought id start a thread to dump any insparationa quotes/sayings that have helped you through difficult times.

And no, 'we go again' wont do.

Colin.

'Our doubts are traitors

And make us lose the good we often might win

By fearing to attempt'

I'd say I live by it but I don't. I'm an example of what it advises against to be honest. But once on a while its made me act differently when it might matter.

If I'm gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is "poontang".

You must get in some strange situations my friend. ;-)

'Our doubts are traitors

By fearing to attempt'

I'd say I live by it but I don't. I'm an example of what it advises against to be honest. But once on a while its made me act differently when it might matter.

I like that one. Where is it from? 

'Our doubts are traitors

By fearing to attempt'

I do like that.

As per the link, the point of 'This too shall pass' is that it isn't just an inspirational line when difficulties abound but also a line to keep one's feet on the ground when things are going well, isn't it?

Yes. Although I interpret it slightly differently; not so much: "Keep your feet on the ground, because it won't last", more like: "Make the most of enjoying this, because it won't last".

• Like 1

This too shall pass is a good one. Never heard it before.

i've always tried to live up to the following, which might be a bit different in english as I'm doing a rough translation:

"Everyone is the maker of their own luck."

Sometimes it's hard to believe in and live by, but most of the time I believe in that and try to live by it.

"Make the most of enjoying this, because it won't last".

As long as you drink deep of your misery, too. :)

I know you're kidding, but no, it HAS to be the opposite. Enjoy the good times because they are fleeting; make light of your misery, because it is also fleeting.

Of course, in practice, and for much of the world's population, it isn't fleeting at all. It's **** lifelong. But it will still pass, even if only at death. :(

This too shall pass is a good one. Never heard it before.

i've always tried to live up to the following, which might be a bit different in english as I'm doing a rough translation:

"Everyone is the maker of their own luck."

Sometimes it's hard to believe in and live by, but most of the time I believe in that and try to live by it.

Works in English. "You make your own luck". Hear it all the time.

Â