The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Everything isn't as black and white as that though, is it?

"He cant afford the wages of a team capable of finishing 6th"

So how much does a team finishing 6th cost? There's no definitive answer on that, it's down to whatever manager is in place.

I'm sure if we had a similar squad to Everton or Newcastle we could afford the wages which they pay out. That's because they don't have players like Heskey on 65k a week doing feck all. We need to get rid of these players before we can start again. Will Randy put money back into the club once the squad has been stripped of it's high earners? Only Randy knows that.

Do you really think, even with Heskey, that Newcastle's expenditure on wages is much lower than ours?

And whilst we might be able to 'afford' them can you guarantee they'd fit within the UEFA regs? Newcastle have always had a good fan base and a good income for the size of club, I would bet quite a lot that under the UEFA regs Newcastle will be able to outspend the Villa regardless of who owns the club.

Everton we've always been close to in terms of income, but this season they're currently 10 points off 6th, so it would appear that Everton can''t 'afford' a top 6 squads wages either.

Don't we have the 7th highest income in the league?

Have we not just secured good deals with our shirt and sponsership?

There should be no reason we have to accept how shit we've become. With a good manager and the club run better we should be challenging for European spots. Not finishing with 40 points.

Lerner is achieving a new level of shitness. Buys a club when they achieve their lowest points total in the prem. Spends hundreds of millions only to achieve a similar, if not worse points total, 6 years later.

That's mind blowing levels of shitness right there.

You cant blame Lerner for letting MoN piss his money up the wall. Lerner obviously thought he was doing the right thing, and so did most of the fans.

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing though...

You can, and should blame Lerner. Lots of people were questioning the wisdom of letting O'Neill run riot with the cheque book. an absolute shit signing like Harewood probably cost the club £10m in fee and wages. That should have been a warning sign.

Youre right, signing Harewood should have been a warning sign. But if anything, it just goes to show that Randy doesnt know a jot about football. He relies on other people to make the footballing decisionsa t this club. He trusted MoN to sign the correct players to get us to fourth place (my god how wrong was he there) and now hes relying on Faulkner to make important footballing decisions.

Hes basically put his trust (and his money) into the wrong people.

what managers might be available

I was wondering about Martinez. I know when we approached him he said he felt loyalty to Whelan and that his job wasn't finished... hopefully that may have struck a chord with Randy - who seems to value integrity? Anyway, supposedly he signed a new deal soon after he snubbed us. Anyone know how long it was for?

I'm now in the position where I'm desperate for him to be our manager next season.

I'm not sure he is that good. Who is the Levante manager? He must be a genius.

Levante manager is also named Martinez... Juan Ignacio Martínez

other exiting but sadly unlikely names for me are:

Lucien Favre - Borussia Monchengladbach

René Girard - Montpellier

Francesco Guidolin - Udinese

And Slaven Bilic who's contract with Croatia runs out this summer

andres villas boas...he could do with villa what he was attempting to do with chelski without changing much as our youth is there already...
I'm damn sure we could have got him instead of McLeish, IF Randy would/could have promised him a larger war chest. And we would have been a better 'fit' for him than Chelsea.

Now? I very much doubt it.

Didn't Chelsea pay €15m compo to secure his services?

Yes, Chelski paid iro £13m for AVB.

I would be more than happy with Ray Wilkins coming in to nurture our kids, preferably as a No2 with a more experienced manager in charge

What has Wilkins ever done? He didn't seem to be anything more than a glorified interpreter for Ancelotti. He was a Chelsea fan with a playing history so probably got a bit of respect of Terry, Lampard etc. But is his coaching all that?

So AVB cost as much as we paid to MoN and houllier in compensation.

Well done Randy.

Blues have just been relegated on premier league years on sky sports 4 right now. Wonder if Lerner has watched it. By the way that was his first relegation. This means that if he keeps us up he will only have a 50% relegation rate as a premiership manager. Well done Randy.

Apart from Bilic, can any of those speak a word of English?

Probably not on any higher level no. But rather a talented manager with an interpreter or assistant at his side than yet another oldschool manager with "premier league experience" and massive wages.

But i agree, language might be an issue with some of them

Well done Randy.

He cost approx. twice as much but you carry on.

He cost around £24 million to get him? Really?

I think the figure was £15m to get him out of his contract. But Roman will have had to pay something similar in compensation after sacking him. Talk is that Roman has spent around £70m in hiring and firing managers since arriving at Chelsea.

Well done Randy.

He cost approx. twice as much but you carry on.

He cost around £24 million to get him? Really?

£13m to get him, add at least another £10m for his contract.

I would be more than happy with Ray Wilkins coming in to nurture our kids, preferably as a No2 with a more experienced manager in charge

What has Wilkins ever done? He didn't seem to be anything more than a glorified interpreter for Ancelotti. He was a Chelsea fan with a playing history so probably got a bit of respect of Terry, Lampard etc. But is his coaching all that?

Didn't Mourinho start as a 'glorified interpreter' for Sir Bobby Robson?

Yup! sure did.

Bastard! I hate it when my argument is broken!!!!!

Still IMO I think if Wilkins was like Mourinho he would have proved it at Fulham and QPR all those years ago.

Â