The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Richard was being very serious. It's a claim he's made on a few occasions.

**** me - I've heard it all now. Lerner may not be perfect and has made some howlers but you can't fault him he put his own money in the club unlike that other one who relegated us - dismantled the European and League Champions - called fans 'men on the terrace' and had just as much (if not more) disrespect/contempt for the fans and shareholders as Lerner.

For me I didn't experience any of that. In my experience as a villa fan I'd have to say lerner has been worse, however I recognise what Doug did in the past was awful. In terms of putting money in, I don't think that means he gets a free pass, I also think he'll get a lot of it back when he eventually sells.

I think he's been a shocking owner and the fact our last 3 years have seen less points than Doug's final season shows how poorly he's run the club so far.

He's gambled with our premiership status and has dragged us down to a level I've never seen us in before. I can't wait for his statement telling us he's leaving. I just hope for the sake of other sports fans out there he doesn't buy another sporting team.

• Like 1

**** me - I've heard it all now. Lerner may not be perfect and has made some howlers but you can't fault him he put his own money in the club unlike that other one who relegated us - dismantled the European and League Champions - called fans 'men on the terrace' and had just as much (if not more) disrespect/contempt for the fans and shareholders as Lerner.
For me I didn't experience any of that. In my experience as a villa fan I'd have to say lerner has been worse, however I recognise what Doug did in the past was awful. In terms of putting money in, I don't think that means he gets a free pass, I also think he'll get a lot of it back when he eventually sells.

I think he's been a shocking owner and the fact our last 3 years have seen less points than Doug's final season shows how poorly he's run the club so far.

He's gambled with our premiership status and has dragged us down to a level I've never seen us in before. I can't wait for his statement telling us he's leaving. I just hope for the sake of other sports fans out there he doesn't buy another sporting team.

I have to agree with John. It sounds like Ellis really messed the club up in the 80s but I was too young to experience that. In my time as a Villa fan the last 2 seasons have been the worst I have experienced. The only shining light has been Bentake.

He could actually be a really decent owner if he's learned from his mistakes. Probably no way back for him here but maybe at another team.

He has had 2 attempts in 2 different sports and has made a real mess of both of them. I think he should try a non sports related venture.

He could actually be a really decent owner if he's learned from his mistakes. Probably no way back for him here but maybe at another team.

I think I've read some comment about him learning from his mistakes every summer for the last 4 years.

I think I've read some comment about him learning from his mistakes every summer for the last 4 years.

The problem here is that he hasn't really got over his past mistakes.

I have to agree with John. It sounds like Ellis really messed the club up in the 80s but I was too young to experience that. In my time as a Villa fan the last 2 seasons have been the worst I have experienced. The only shining light has been Bentake.

Not just 80's - when we finished 2nd in the inaugral season - instead of investing to push us forward he held us back - sacked Ron Atkinson (who had an aging squad and it clearly needed investing in). So no problem guys with your views at all but some of us had over 25 years of him and that was more than enough!

Because he made new ones and then gave up.

The main problem seems to be that he is seemingly clueless at running a football club.

• Like 2

I disagree - I don't think he ever recovered from the initial mistake of giving O'Neill (and then McLeish) too much control over how they spent money.

• Like 1

Not just 80's - when we finished 2nd in the inaugral season - instead of investing to push us forward he held us back - sacked Ron Atkinson (who had an aging squad and it clearly needed investing in). So no problem guys with your views at all but some of us had over 25 years of him and that was more than enough!

But he did then get Brian Little in that gave us 3 great seasons and left a good squad for the next manager. He think he made a massive mistake backing Gregory. I agree he would get us so far and then never push on until we ended up standing still or going backwards.

• Like 1

I disagree - I don't think he ever recovered from the initial mistake of giving O'Neill (and then McLeish) too much control over how they spent money.

Then surely we agree. McLeish was a new mistake and he then prepared the club for a sale which is giving up.

He made three massive errors on the spin. He allowed O'Neill to get our wage bill up the 6th highest in the league, whilst finishing 6th, and then seemed to suddenly realize we couldn't sustain it. He decides to rein in the spending but then hires a known cheque book manager in Houllier who has to spunk the best part of 30 mill in one window and increase the wage bill to get us out of the shit. He then hires McLeish.

The biggest miracle is that despite the wreckless way he has run this great club he hasn't relegated us.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

I still think the houllier appointment really messed us up.

If he'd got the right man at that point I think we'd be in a good place right now.

Disagree - I think what messed us up then was Houllier not being able to continue due to his health problems. The club was already in a huge mess before Houllier arrived and that was clear for all to see.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 4

I still think the houllier appointment really messed us up.

If he'd got the right man at that point I think we'd be in a good place right now.

Only because of his ill health in my opinion. If he was able to carry on and given more money to invest I think he could have built a decent team.

• Like 2

Â