The Randy Lerner thread

CI

The thing is though he mentions stability, how can you possibly expect stability when you appoint your rivals ex manager who has been relegated twice? He contradicts himself here beyond belief.

Maybe thats what Notts Forest wanted when they appointed a manager who spent 3 yrs at Derby, all but a few months at Brighton, then one month at Leeds. he then spent 17 happy years (I think) at Forest !.

Only time will tell - I thought when we signed him, David O'Leary would be Villa manager for the next 15 yrs - look how that turned out !.

What went on at the Blues, went on at the Blues, it does NOT mean it will happen here.!

Yes, because our results this campaign have been top drawer and not similar to Blues last year at all. If you look back you'll find a whole lot of draws in the early stage against opponents we think we would beat, very similar to our campaign thus far.

This time last year SHA had 16 points having played 14 PL games, including wins against Chelsea, and draws with City and Liverpool.

I'm afraid the results so far indicate Eck is going the same way and we have yet to go through December where we have Liverpool, Arsenal, United, Chelsea and I can see us getting nothing there.

Give it a rest, its getting boring !!!!.

I dont give a flying f... where Blues were , different clubs are different clubs !!!.

Avram Grant was 12 yards from winning the European Cup - didn't help him much when he was West Ham manager

Harry Redknapp was crap at Southampton - hasn't harmed him at Spurs has it.

You have NO IDEA on how McLeish will perform at the Villa - NONE !!. So until he actual does fail - give it a bloody rest !.

And as for the games - so Liverpool and Arsenal are tough games. Yep, I am sure Blackburn thought Arsenal was a tough game, I'm sure Chelsea thought that if Liverpool can't score against Swansea at home, they would be slaughtered at Stamford Bridge.

I mean, Man City have won 11 - and drew 1 - who did they draw to - was it Man Utd - no, was it Spurs - no , was it us - no - IT WAS FULHAM - THATS IT FULHAM WHO ARE IN THE BOTTOM 5.

Before you slag the club, the manager and the owner off, lets just see what happens - shall we ?

In terms of it being too late, do you think that article will have any impact at all on tickets sales? Do you think it will have any impact on season ticket sales?
This makes me want to scream. I abhor the notion that we should be communicated to in order to make us, or encourage us spend money. The point about communication is that it has worth in its own sake. I talk to you because I like you, because I respect you, because I want to share information with you....

WHen football clubs think "let's talk to the fans, it'll make them buy tickets" that's when they've gone rotten. Many have, of course.

I know that wasn't the intentional point you were making, and I know more people buying things would have been nice for the club. It just seemed a bit of a subliminal point.

Or do you think if he had perhaps spoken in the summer of his continued plans for the club do you think it would have more impact?

My view is that he should have spoken a lot earlier and had he done so it might have had more of a positive impact. That is why I think its a little late.

I completely agree. I think he acknowledges as much, too.

In terms of content, what would you say are the 3 most important things you know from reading that article that you didn't know previously?
I guess importance is relative, but 1. the acknowledgment of bad comms is welcome, and will hopefully lead to behavioural change. 2. Plans are on hold for the ground and non-team stuff - the team is now priority. 3. He's not looking to sell.

A very fair summing up! :-)

But again ... let's see what happens by January!

Why do you keep banging on about "by January"? Where has this sudden time scale come from and what relevance does it have? Other than we have a hard set of games coming up so there is a fair chance we wont be as high as we are now. But in the overall scheme of things it wont really show much. The end of January will see whether any investment is made and the end of the season will show how well McLeish has done. Futhermnore players contracts will then end so we can then see whether any money is invested from that saving. So really in the great scheme of things benchmarking by January is not only pointless but it will show nothing about the boards intentions than what we know today.

Give it a rest, its getting boring !!!!.

I dont give a flying f... where Blues were , different clubs are different clubs !!!.

Avram Grant was 12 yards from winning the European Cup - didn't help him much when he was West Ham manager

Harry Redknapp was crap at Southampton - hasn't harmed him at Spurs has it.

You have NO IDEA on how McLeish will perform at the Villa - NONE !!. So until he actual does fail - give it a bloody rest !.

And as for the games - so Liverpool and Arsenal are tough games. Yep, I am sure Blackburn thought Arsenal was a tough game, I'm sure Chelsea thought that if Liverpool can't score against Swansea at home, they would be slaughtered at Stamford Bridge.

I mean, Man City have won 11 - and drew 1 - who did they draw to - was it Man Utd - no, was it Spurs - no , was it us - no - IT WAS FULHAM - THATS IT FULHAM WHO ARE IN THE BOTTOM 5.

Before you slag the club, the manager and the owner off, lets just see what happens - shall we ?

Different clubs being run by the same team and the results are going the same way. FACT. Now unless you can factually prove otherwise based on results which have happened your "point" ceases to exist.

Avram Grant had world class players in his Chelsea side. Didn't he? He now wants the Northern Ireland job. Shows you just exactly how good Avram Grant was.

Where did I actually state in any of my posts that I knew how McLeish will perform here. Quote me exactly please before spouting such rubbish as a factual statement.

As for the Redknapp at Southampton argument, that also holds no weight. You could have appointed Alex Ferguson or Mourinho on that budget and they'd still have been shit. They might be good managers but they don't have a magic wand to wave.

A very fair summing up! :-)

But again ... let's see what happens by January!

Why do you keep banging on about "by January"? Where has this sudden time scale come from and what relevance does it have? Other than we have a hard set of games coming up so there is a fair chance we wont be as high as we are now. But in the overall scheme of things it wont really show much. The end of January will see whether any investment is made and the end of the season will show how well McLeish has done. Futhermnore players contracts will then end so we can then see whether any money is invested from that saving. So really in the great scheme of things benchmarking by January is not only pointless but it will show nothing about the boards intentions than what we know today.

I'm not the only one concerned about the upcoming fixtures, Houlston - this period has been regarded with some trepidation for some time.

You seem to disregard the possibility of Villa having another affair with the relegation zone this season! You're probably assuming we may sink to 12th/13th at worst?

If a relegation fight (another one!) does happen (and I pray it doesn't), a lot of ire will be released towards the Villa management. Why? Simply because many fans didn't want AM, added to what's regarded generally as being mismanagement in 2010-11.

If Villa are in the bottom 6 (let's say) byJanuary it will interesting to see what action is taken. For example, I assume that money is available, but just who will Villa be able to sign this time to make a difference. Last January it was different as Bent came in but he had Ash and Downing to help him.

This year's midfield has shown nothing to speak of. I very much hope that Jenas proves to be able to provide the x-factor ... and stays fit.

That's why January is significant.

John, January is notoriously hard to do business. £4m for Hutton in the summer sums McLeish up for me. Do we trust him to spend wisely to get us up the table?

His signings bar Given have left a lot to be desired so far.

I totally agree! AM has a big task to keep Villa in the top-12 to January to avoid what would probably be panic signings.

If Villa are in the bottom 6 (let's say) byJanuary it will interesting to see what action is takent.

Exactly the key being what action will be taken, but by January regardless of what happens in the league it will show is no more than we know today about the board.

If Villa are in the bottom 6 (let's say) byJanuary it will interesting to see what action is takent.

Exactly the key being what action will be taken, but by January regardless of what happens in the league it will show is no more than we know today about the board.

Well, I disagree. I think the situation will reveal the abilities or non-abilities of the board more minutely than before.

That's just my opinion. We can agree to differ.

Maybe thats what Notts Forest wanted when they appointed a manager who spent 3 yrs at Derby, all but a few months at Brighton, then one month at Leeds. he then spent 17 happy years (I think) at Forest!

He did win the title with Derby. A bit different to a couple of relegations??

Well, I disagree. I think the situation will reveal the abilities or non-abilities of the board more minutely than before..

Fair enough but how does it? Say we lose all our games between now and January, what does that tell us that we dont already know about the board and their intentions?

Fair enough but how does it? Say we lose all our games between now and January, what does that tell us that we dont already know about the board and their intentions?

I'm not really concerned about getting into a dialogue about that, Houlston.

I am essentially just concerned about what is going to happen by the end of January and that if a crisis does loom that the board's actions will help Villa to avoid relegation this year.

I'm not really concerned about getting into a dialogue about that, Houlston.

I am essentially just concerned about what is going to happen by the end of January and that if a crisis does loom that the board's actions will help Villa to avoid relegation this year.

What a surprise.

So its by the end of January now and not by January.

The thing is though he mentions stability, how can you possibly expect stability when you appoint your rivals ex manager who has been relegated twice? He contradicts himself here beyond belief.

Maybe thats what Notts Forest wanted when they appointed a manager who spent 3 yrs at Derby, all but a few months at Brighton, then one month at Leeds. he then spent 17 happy years (I think) at Forest !.

Only time will tell - I thought when we signed him, David O'Leary would be Villa manager for the next 15 yrs - look how that turned out !.

What went on at the Blues, went on at the Blues, it does NOT mean it will happen here.!

Yes, because our results this campaign have been top drawer and not similar to Blues last year at all. If you look back you'll find a whole lot of draws in the early stage against opponents we think we would beat, very similar to our campaign thus far.

This time last year SHA had 16 points having played 14 PL games, including wins against Chelsea, and draws with City and Liverpool.

I'm afraid the results so far indicate Eck is going the same way and we have yet to go through December where we have Liverpool, Arsenal, United, Chelsea and I can see us getting nothing there.

Just so we are clear - if we were bottom at the minute, would you be overjoyed as it would indicate that we weren't heading in the same direction as Blues were at this point??

Predictable, we all knew this, but it was 3 months too late.

Your right - we did all know it - or if the people whinging about communication didnt, they are daft.

Why the hell is it too late then?? Why the hell do we need this guy to come out and tell us what we already know, only to get stick when he does??

Â