The Randy Lerner thread

CI

In fairness Lichaj was pretty handy defensively but not comfortable attacking or with the ball at his feet. He wanted first team football and he was only going to be a squad player here. 

Whenever he played, a lot of attacks went down his side and were successful.

Edited by dodgyknees

Just 4 consecutive years of watching awful football and results. The long term damage this man is doing to the club truly worries me.

When are the crowd going to turn on him instead of the players and manager?

I have to agree BJ10 - his absence from games has almost erased him from fans memories when it comes to vehemence....

The reason we're currently poor on the pitch is undoubtedly not just due to PL's tactics - he's assembled the best squad available on the restrictive budget imposed by Lerner and the monkeys we paid peanuts for are currently testament to that.

I'm not convinced its the best possible squad but I think most managers who would have been happy to work for Lerner would have ended up making mistakes and struggling under these constraints.

I'm sure a top manager could have spent the funds better but no top manager is coming to work for our current owner.

• Like 1

In fairness Lichaj was pretty handy defensively but not comfortable attacking or with the ball at his feet. He wanted first team football and he was only going to be a squad player here. 

Not due to him though - did he ever get an assist or anything?

Not due to him though - did he ever get an assist or anything?

I seem to remember him getting an assist... I also remember a goal, was that in a cup? But still, there are no doubts in my mind that both he and Stevens were players who needed to go.

You can not expect all buys to turn out great, and on top of that we have been really hurt by injuries to key players.

That will become the understatement of the year.

....just a few decent would be ok.

The majority of our buys have not worked out under successive managers, how can so much misjudgment be swept under the carpet as "it happens in football".....it only happens when you have a poor scouting dep't.

No owner can wear the amount of mistakes we have made, without drastic action....unfortunately, some guy has to clear up the mess.

In all my time watching villa, our purchases in recent years have been unprecedented in terms of poor.

Ps either the purchases are poor or the coaches can't get anything decent out of them.

Edited by TRO

Fawaz Al Hasawi at the Forest game today. I forgot other chairmen and owners actually go to their club's games!  :D

Like joe Lewis and jack Hayward

Guys that put bundles of money in their clubs....stick to the real issues, not side swipes

Just concentrate on improving " shit football"

Ps Doug Ellis went to every game and still does, didn't do us much good, did it?

• Like 2

I agree that Lerner does need to provide Lambert with funds.

But if it was your money and the record we have in purchases,would you feel tentative/dubious.

....I'm bloody sure you would.

But if it was your money and the record we have in purchases,would you feel tentative/dubious.

I'm happy with the signings he has made that cost more than £2m (ish)

Benteke, off form but a very good signing. Kozak, scored very important goals and looked like he could get better too and Okore has great potential and would have been a great help this season.

Even Vlaar (2.5m?) was a good signing.

The ones we struggle with are those that are cheap "chances" - which have shown both the good and the bad in their time here.

I trust the judgement when the money is there.

Fawaz Al Hasawi at the Forest game today. I forgot other chairmen and owners actually go to their club's games!  :D

Guys that put bundles of money in their clubs....stick to the real issues, not side swipes

Ps Doug Ellis went to every game and still does, didn't do us much good, did it?

You mean winning two league cups and qualifying for Europe pretty regularly?

Nah not much.

I'm not saying the chairman turning up means we'll win anything, but at least it shows the fans he gives a crap.

Aston Villa were a good example of how to spend too much on wages and fees.

Aston Villa are now a good example on how not to spend enough.

Aston Villa need to be somewhere in the middle of these two!

Fixed on two fronts.

Let's hope that we survive to point three, because getting there is way too slow for most people.

Edited by thetrees

Aston Villa were a good example of how to spend too much on wages and fees.

Aston Villa are now a good example on how not to spend enough.

Aston Villa need to be somewhere in the middle of these two!

Fixed on two fronts.

Let's hope that we survive to point three, because getting there is way to slow for most people.

Sorry but it is not a good example - especially considering we are expected to pick up brilliant players on one of the smallest budgets in the league.

The middle point is exactly where we should be, cutting too fast and too deep will leave a scar. 

Benteke, off form but a very good signing. Kozak, scored very important goals and looked like he could get better too and Okore has great potential and would have been a great help this season.

The ones we struggle with are those that are cheap "chances" - which have shown both the good and the bad in their time here.

I understand your point that the prime job was cost cutting and we have now got players that are no better but are cheaper to buy and operate.

The real issue is quality of player.....had the past purchases, been of merchantable quality, we may not have been in this situation.

Just remember, there is no guarantee that PL will get better quality in even if he is afforded, better funds...we just live in hope he does.....and I would suspect RL feels the same.

I know it's easy to say,in normal conditions, but if I Could not bring in the quality I required, I would bring in no one.

No more dross under any circumstances would be my stance.....no more Polly filla.....just pure plaster.

Edited by TRO

Fawaz Al Hasawi at the Forest game today. I forgot other chairmen and owners actually go to their club's games! :D

You mean winning two league cups and qualifying for Europe pretty regularly?

Nah not much.

I'm not saying the chairman turning up means we'll win anything, but at least it shows the fans he gives a crap.

Maybe TRO was talking about Ellis taking us all the way down to the old third division and then later dismantling the European cup team, resulting in relegation to the 2nd division :detect:

I understand your point that the prime job was cost cutting and we have now got players that are no better but are cheaper to buy and operate.

The real issue is quality of player.....had the past purchases, been of merchantable quality, we may not have been in this situation.

Just remember, there is no guarantee that PL will get better quality in even if he is afforded, better funds...we just live in hope he does.....and I would suspect RL feels the same.

I know it's easy to say,in normal conditions, but if I Could not bring in the quality I required, I would bring in no one.

No more dross under any circumstances would be my stance.....no more Polly villa.....just pure plaster.

I understand where you are coming from, the problem is the bit in bold, Lambert has kept to his side of the deal - getting rid, buying cheap, keeping costs down - and now Lerner owes Lambert - just a little bit - to help us make a jump which will see us 8th-10th.

I honestly think we are just three players short. For this window I would be happy to accept two loans and one permanent and for us to then look at the two other positions with transfers in the summer.

We are not far off... we just lack players in key areas, where the cost of those positions tends to be a little more.

Â