Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

He's as bad a player technically that I've ever seen for the Villa, his touch and passing is atrocious. On top of that he's not much of a presence. He still has time on his side but if he doesn't improve dramatically I can't see him having much of a future here.

He's as bad a player technically that I've ever seen for the Villa, his touch and passing is atrocious. On top of that he's not much of a presence. He still has time on his side but if he doesn't improve dramatically I can't see him having much of a future here.

What about after January when he came in? Or pre-season?

Apart from that, today was his first full run this season and the entire team played awfully. If we're going to judge everybody based on today then we may as well look for a new striker too.

What happened to the player of last season

I do not know if the formation did not suit him or the personnel around him but he was shocking

Bear in mind he did play his best football alongside two players who did not feature today!

Edited by AshVilla

Pre-season doesn't mean a jot. Last season I wasn't overly impressed outside of the Reading game.

Sorry but I just don't see anything in the lad, the fundamentals clearly aren't there. I'd rather have Vlaar in as DM as he's a level above Sylla on the ball.

Not better than Westwood.

Different type of player completely. I don't understand people using Sylla as a scapegoat today, it was a crap game in which everybody played pretty badly.

Reading through the threads, i think you'll notice quite a few of our players are being criticized.

He doesn't offer much off the ball and Westwood is a hell of a lot better on the ball.

Yet Sylla's PSR was 11% better then Westwood's. I don't think people notice as much when it is Westwood giving the ball away. 

He's not a scapegoat at all, some are just suggesting that he's a poor player.

Which is fine, but it seems to be based purely on today's game. When he was in the team in the second half of last season we were playing some fantastic football and ultimately it kept us from being relegated. 

I just don't understand how people can now suggest he is a poor player when he played well last season and today was his first full run out since May.

Which is fine, but it seems to be based purely on today's game. When he was in the team in the second half of last season we were playing some fantastic football and ultimately it kept us from being relegated. 

I just don't understand how people can now suggest he is a poor player when he played well last season and today was his first full run out since May.

It's called the Westwood Principle.

Edited by StefanAVFC

I can't talk for others but I've said several times on here that I don't rate him. KEA is getting dogs abuse (not that he doesn't deserve it for some of his performances) but is IMO a better player than Sylla.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

He doesn't offer much off the ball and Westwood is a hell of a lot better on the ball.

Yet Sylla's PSR was 11% better then Westwood's. I don't think people notice as much when it is Westwood giving the ball away. 

Pretty much all of his passes are sidewards or backwards, Westwood attempts more forward passes. PSR is a completely useless 'statistic'.

Pretty much all of his passes are sidewards or backwards, Westwood attempts more forward passes. PSR is a completely useless 'statistic'.

So if Westwood isn't in the team to keep us 'ticking over' then what is he there for? Last season when he had 97% PSR vs QPR, people wouldn't stop going on about it for weeks, now he has the lowest PSR in midfield it is meaningless? 

Westwood's PSR is lower because he actually attempts to play a ball forward. PSR is as useless as Con's win% stat.

Come on, Isa, you're better than that. No context on that stat whatsoever. 

Edited by Kwan
  • Like 1

So if Westwood isn't in the team to keep us 'ticking over' then what is he there for? Last season when he had 97% PSR vs QPR, people wouldn't stop going on about it for weeks, now he has the lowest PSR in midfield it is meaningless? 

Not only does he keep things ticking but he also tries to pass the ball forward, it is entirely possible for him to do more than one thing isn't it? He put Weimann in on goal in the first half with a great forward pass.

Westwood's PSR is lower because he actually attempts to play a ball forward. PSR is as useless as Con's win% stat.

Come on, Isa, you're better than that. No context on that stat whatsoever. 

Yep it's a brainless way to 'analyse' things.

Â