Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I'm beginning to spot your Modus Operandi - take an odd word or comment and use is out of context

I don't think anyone on the forum thinks we are a great team at the moment

Pathetic

I don't know which is more pathetic. Commenting on opinion or actually poster on poster which incidentally is against site rules.

Fair do LSV... 2011/12 is a scar forever on my memory. Last night's performance was every bit as bad as last season. Stark contrast to what we have seen them do this season and know they are capable of. We got lucky last night, nothing more. If anyone is positive about last night's performance, they are lying to themselves. It wasn't just shit, it was dog shit.

One of few who actually turned up, I left the ground with us having won the match. But so poor was the performance, it left me feeling as though we had actually lost.

The result is what matters yes, and brilliant (I guess) to get second successive clean sheet from such a young team. But ignore that performance at your (the royal your) peril. QPR will be a different kettle completely. These youngsters need to man-up and get wise. On recent showing, this is a performance blip... I prey that is all it is. Better oppo, and we would have been lanced in the eye last night.

When you go to games you must wear a blindfold and sit faceing the stand. That's a load of rubbish right there fella.

Anyone who thinks it's as bad as last season......well words fail me.

Probably bluenose troll. :D

Obviously you are insecure and have little self worth so i get that now and will help you by making no further replies to your posts.

Agreed - I fell into his trap. Apologies all

Won't get fooled again

You fell into your own trap of ignorance.

I saw Shay Given on the bench tonight and he applauded every little chance we got and seemed delighted when we did in fact score, I was genuinely delighted to see this.

Agree with this, I saw it too and thought to myself that we must have a good teamspirit. Think that is down to Lambert

I thought we were Ok last night with flashes of promise but also some flashes of poor quality interlaced in the performance too. We are quite scary to watch because you know there is always a shockingly amateurish pass just around the corner which could cost us... just as we are liable to miss even the easiest of sitters in front of goal... & we did a couple of times with Benteke's & Weimann's misses before half time.

But whilst against better opposition those weaknesses will undoubtably cost us more often than not i do feel there are as many positives as negatives

In Benteke we have a player in my opinion. He is a real handfull & with better support upfront we could finally have found our new Peter Withe!... (Given a bit more experience of course).. Yes i do rate him that highly.

So now we need to find the perfect partner for him... Weimann could be that man eventually but i think the jury is still out on him at the moment as he misses too many easy chances.

In midfield i think we lack grit & our creative players are way too inconsistent. Again this is possibly due to inexperience for the most part but it needs sorting.

Defensively what we lack in experience we appear to make up for in energy although we do run around like headless chickens back there on occasion... This seems to be if anything confusing the opposition though at present resulting in the 2 clean sheets. Not a long term solution though & we need some work back there.

Guzan i do like, he just is getting better all the time.

I always like to compare any Villa side to the Title winning team from 80', 81'.. I don't know why? maybe it's because that was a proven & successful formula for this club with a limited squad & resources (sound familiar?) & well lets face it we won the ultimate prize with that team, the European cup, so it's not a bad way to check our progress... So lets compare the two for what it's worth (bearing in mind the game has changed considerably since those heady days of course) but what i have done below is to leave blank the players where i think we have yet to find a comparable / equivalent type of player.

1980/81 side 2011/12 side

1. Rimmer 1. Guzan

2. Swain 2. Lowton (potentially)

3. Gibson 3.

4. Evans 4. Vlaar

5. Mcnaught 5 .

6. Mortimer 6. Westwood (potentially)

7. Bremner 7.

8. Shaw 8.

9. Withe 9. Benteke

10. Cowans 10.

11. Morley 11.

So although it would be ridiculous to compare the two teams in reality my point is that when you try to go through the positions player by player it highlights the weaknesses in the team very well in my opinion.

Guzan is for me quite similar to Rimmer.. a small stocky keeper who does his job very well.

Lowton can be a very classy (Same as Swain was) RB & with a bit more experience could be great.

Vlaar i have compared to Alan Evans.. different types of player but he has a shot on him like Evans did & is a good solid player.

In Westwood i see a potential Dennis Mortimer.. of course needs a lot more experience but i do like him & he has some similar qualities. Captain for the future?

Finally the only other one i can compare is Benteke with Peter Withe. Both rugged forwards, lethal in the air & terrorisors of defences.

So now to the missing links

3. Left back - Enda Stevens may be the man but it's way too early to say at this point. Colin Gibson was a great attacking full back with pace & just a good all round left back.

5. Central defence - this is surely an area of concern & we lack our Ken Mcnaught in my opinion.. we lack ruggedness & although Richard Dunne is that kind of player he is now surely too slow & error prone... Can Clark be the man? Jury again is out.

7. A tough rugged midfielder in the Des Bremner mould is desperately lacking to break up play & do the dirty work.

8. We lack a good foil for Benteke.. Gary Shaw was the lethal "fox in the box" in the 80's team & although Weimann is showing flashes he lacks the creative side Shaw possessed & his finishing is far less consistent. We need a 20 goal a season man to partner the big guy.. Bent is a lone soldier so not the man.

10. Our midfield creator.. We have Bannan & Ireland but they are both way too inconsistent & posses 1 good pass to 1 bad one from what i've seen. This is very reflective of how we play at present & is the fulcrum of the frustrating nature of this side. Sid Cowans was the man back in the day & neither of these two are fit to lace his boots.

11. Tony Morley was one of the main strengths of the Title winning team with pace & a lethal shot & cross. Our current pace man Gabby has flashes of all those qualities but again is just so inconsistent & lacks the brain, crossing & dribbling ability & long range finishing of Morley. Albrighton is too slow for the role & we erm..sold all the rest.

So for January..

Left Back (Unless one of the 3 we have steps up)

Creative midfielder

Defensive midfielder

Stiker

Pacey Wide man.

We are half way to a decent team in my book.

So for January..

Left Back (Unless one of the 3 we have steps up)

Creative midfielder

Defensive midfielder

Stiker

Pacey Wide man.

Most clubs don't do much business in January. I can't see us doing much unless Bent is sold, not loaned, early in the month, It might not be down to money available as managers often cite the difficulty of getting players up to speed at a new club mid-season.

Yes i said it a bit "tongue in cheek" Coda.. but basically if we can get those players whether in Jan or more likely of course the summer, then i think we could have something with all the young players maturing too etc... What i like is that Guzan, Westwood, Benteke, Lowton of the 5 i like are all Lambert signings..(Even Guzan as theoretically he had left the club & was of course promoted by Lambo)

(not directed at you shamen) If we only do a little business I just hope it isn't used as a stick to beat the manager and owner with. Every window I see fans' expectations for multiple signings which are rarely met. This isn't specific to Villa.