Paul Lambert

Pilchard

If you appoint mediocre managers, playing bog-standard hoof it British football, then mediocrity is all you'll ever get.  Lambert's style of football is really dull and uninspired.  Even if all the young kids he's bought 'make it', it'll still be O'Neillesque boredom.  We need some new thinking, and a manager who will play a more expansive, European type game.

It is a long term project, I am sure Lambert is going to address our possession problems in the future like he has done with our previous weaknesses.

If you appoint mediocre managers, playing bog-standard hoof it British football, then mediocrity is all you'll ever get. Lambert's style of football is really dull and uninspired. Even if all the young kids he's bought 'make it', it'll still be O'Neillesque boredom. We need some new thinking, and a manager who will play a more expansive, European type game.

I agree, let's get someone from the continent who has his teams play a short passing game like Brendan Rodgers. Oh wait, he's British. Amazing that there are British people who are for passing football isn't it?

Also, even on lambert, this years Villa team is the outlier in his record. His teams, even last year have also scored a lot and conceded a lot, and aren't dull in any sense. I've seen Norwich fans complain about his "all out attack" style.

Perhaps he shouldn't continue to set us up like a possession team in the meantime then? 

In my opinion we have set-up recently to be direct and counter attacking, I have no issue with that.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Perhaps he shouldn't continue to set us up like a possession team in the meantime then?

In my opinion we have set-up recently to be direct and counter attacking, I have no issue with that.

You only play someone 'in the Carrick role' if you are looking to dominate possession. No non-possession team has such a player holding their midfield.

If you appoint mediocre managers, playing bog-standard hoof it British football, then mediocrity is all you'll ever get.  Lambert's style of football is really dull and uninspired.  Even if all the young kids he's bought 'make it', it'll still be O'Neillesque boredom.  We need some new thinking, and a manager who will play a more expansive, European type game.

It is a long term project, I am sure Lambert is going to address our possession problems in the future like he has done with our previous weaknesses.

I wonder why he doesn't address our possession problems now? If it's a "long term project", he will make it even longer term by setting us off in a direction he doesn't ultimately want to go.

You only play someone 'in the Carrick role' if you are looking to dominate possession. No non-possession team has such a player holding their midfield.

It is a work in progress. I am sure our ball retention will improve in the coming months.

Just read the article regarding no 'big' signings in January, personally it doesn't bother me if we don't see a 8-12m signing, a couple of 3-5m signings in the same vein as Bacuna and Luna will do :) Regarding the progression of the club, thinking a finish in the top 9 isn't that far off. The teams who will finish in the top 8 is pretty much predictable, but wouldn't discount us getting ahead of the obsessed ones and Swansea this season.

Edited by Avflife

It is a work in progress. I am sure our ball retention will improve in the coming months.

I highly doubt that when we are being bossed in possession by the likes of Norwich, West Ham and Cardiff.

Odd as this sounds, but would a chant telling the team that we want an improvement not be a lot more useful than booing? Could be encouraging and explanatory at the same time :lol:

Edited by P3te

We're a work in progress. I doubt Lambert wants us to be playing hoofball in a few years time.

He could have bought a decent midfielder in the summer.  Instead he spent £7m on a carthorse to hoof it up to in the event of us not being able to hoof it to Benteke.  Other fans are starting to view us in the same way they do Stoke and West Ham.

You mean the carthorse that secured the three points on Saturday? Nice to see you giving the new signings time to settle in, as per. 

I don't really give a **** what the other fans think - we play a mixture of footballing styles dependent on who we're playing and there's nothing wrong with a long ball every now and again. 

What's wrong with having a target man anyway? 

Well we all know 100% he was after a creative midfielder as he enquired about Kiyotake but the price was too steep. It's all a work in progress as we have the youngest squad in the league and they're all growing together. I think a creative midfielder is next on his bucket list but we'll just have to wait until he finds the right player for the right price. He clearly doesn't want to gamble at the assumed £10million or whatever Kiyotake was valued at for him to potentially fail or take a while to settle. I'd be surprised if we don't pick up the lad in the summer when his price has dropped due to a shorter contract and potentially Nurnberg being relegated.

I highly doubt that when we are being bossed in possession by the likes of Norwich, West Ham and Cardiff. 

I am not too bothered about dominating a full game by possession (Cardiff were a great example of the possession stat being distorted). When the players have had more time together and the injured players return to the side, I am certain our ball retention will improve. Furthermore, we accrued seven points against those teams you have selected, I am sure the majority of us would take this amount points from three games in the future.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

I am not too bothered about dominating a full game by possession (Cardiff were a great example of the possession stat being distorted). When the players have had more time together and the injured players return to the side, I am certain our ball retention will improve. Furthermore, we accrued seven points against those teams you have selected, I am sure the majority of us would take this amount points from three games in future.

More time together? I guess 18 months and two pre-seasons isn't enough time for his supposed philosophy to at least be partially coming to the fore...

Also, I don't buy the injury argument as firstly he bulked up the squad in the summer for just this situation and secondly the injury argument was never used as an excuse for Houllier or McLeish.

Edited by Isa

I wonder why he doesn't address our possession problems now?  If it's a "long term project", he will make it even longer term by setting us off in a direction he doesn't ultimately want to go

Improving the defense was imperative this season - it is slowly improving as we have seen recently and this also proves Lambert will look to improve weaker aspects of our game. I also believe it is difficult to address and improve the side a few months into a new season, especially when we have a large portion of players currently injured and have signed a lot of players in the summer who are adjusting.

"Long term" surely must include improving and addressing issues/weaknesses that will obviously occur in a young team? 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

More time together? I guess 18 months and two pre-seasons isn't enough time for his supposed philosophy to at least be partially coming to the fore... 

It is!  We are primarily a Direct/Counter Attacking side, I have no issue with how we attempt to play the game. However, I know we can improve certain aspects though but I genuinely believe we will in the future. Ball retention is not the be all and end all.

Also, I don't buy the injury argument as firstly he bulked up the squad in the summer for just this situation and secondly the injury argument was never used as an excuse for Houllier or McLeish. 

It is not an excuse, it is a creditable reason. Lambert did bulk up the squad and this is why we are coping and gaining points during an injury crisis; last season we struggled badly when we went through similar circumstances. I do seem to recall McLeish making a big deal out of injuries and burying the youngsters he had to play by default. 

Quality LOL

I think you've found your niche in life

Did you really just type 'LOL'?

I did indeed-I'm not one of the VT sheep who think there's a set way to post. LOL

I think there might be one or two fans from Newcastle, West Brom and Swansea who would disagree with that.

I dont agree with booing at half time in a game. Or full time. It's not as if the players or Lambert aren't trying to win. Booing them isn't going to motivate them.  It's an absolutely pointless exercise if you ask me, which does no good whatsoever. But, it's people's right to do it, even though I wish they wouldn't.

I agree with you-I put it down to ignorance & stupidity. Footballers know when they are not doing as well as they can, sometimes if it's just 2 or maybe 3, the team can carry them but when it's more, it becomes difficult. The booing adds to the pressure, especially to younger players like our lads. We know it could be better sometimes, and they know it as well. If the crowd could just accept what is happening & what is tryng to be achieved, it would take a lot of pressure away from the players. I thought we did this last season although it seems expectations have raised this time around & patience seems to be lacking. Maybe the crowd would prefer Ian Holloway for example? His games are often open & high scoring-He just doesn't win many of them. W look like we're becoming a bit more solid & a bit harder to score against. urley when we get this part right, people can work out that other areas of our play will be addressed?

We're Aston Villa, not Man United or Arsenal-People placing these ridiculous expectations on young players need to wake up & smell the coffee-Or at least try to understand what it takes to maintain a top 6 position in the Premiership.

What are these 'ridiculous expectations on young players' you speak of? I've seen no-one on here with anything more than just reasonable expectations to see a repeat of the style of football from the very same players produced at the tail end of last season.

However what i do feel is more than unreasonable is to refer to our fans as ignorant and stupid when they have made their displeasure heard in the only way possible at probably the worst first half performance by the team this season and that criticism, as another poster has suggested, could have actually spurred the team on to perform much better in the second half.

The standard of football produced is no worse than any other team from around 9th downwards.

People want us to win & win in style. Man U are struggling to do that, as are Spurs-It's not just a case of telling 11 players to go out & win but win by entertaining you know.

Many of our fans are ignorant, games against the likes of Cardiff are rarely going to be pretty & sometimes results need to be ground out which is what happened yesterday.

I think there might be one or two fans from Newcastle, West Brom and Swansea who would disagree with that.

No-one is expecting us to play to the same standard of Man U or Spurs either even when they have an off day and you seem to have the attitude that our fans are ignorant of what the project is here just because they booed despite how the fans backed both Lambert and the team at Villa park last season through a start which broke all the wrong records and if you remember Lambert commented on that at the time.

So those boos you have commented on were not born out of ignorance but rather frustration at a first half performance which was well below what our team could provide and they proved that with their performance in the second half.

Swansea were booed off at half time yesterday-They've been pretty poor all season. Newcastle have spent a lot of money, pay big salaries & have some good players (loosing at home to them was not the catastrophe that the moaners on here make it out to be). They are still no more consistant than us & dish up some pretty dire stuff as well.

I sit near to some of these moaning morons-I hear some of the comments they come out with. It can be quite amusing at times but on other occasions, it winds me up & I feel like poking my fingers in their eyes. Watching Villa is a hobby/pastime for me, I enjoy going & enjoy meeting up with mates. I don't want it ruined by having to listen to some prat who has obviously never played football

We're a work in progress. I doubt Lambert wants us to be playing hoofball in a few years time.

He could have bought a decent midfielder in the summer.  Instead he spent £7m on a carthorse to hoof it up to in the event of us not being able to hoof it to Benteke.  Other fans are starting to view us in the same way they do Stoke and West Ham.

LOL

This guy is a genius

ps-He spent £4.5 million on Kozac btw & what a good job we signed him with 2 of our regular front 3 unable to play on Saturday.

• Like 1