U.S. Politics

maqroll

The Veterans Stand controversy stemmed primarily from money concerns, and logistics on the ground. A lot of vets raised a fuss about not getting their cash allotment (donated online), making travel and other arrangements difficult. Some people accused the VS organizers of theft. Other vets said that they thought the whole thing lacked leadership and good planning. The money issues got sorted out AFAIK; the planning and logistics complaints were readily admitted to.

The Sacred Stone camp is the one camp that is not on disputed territory (incredible that these areas are still in dispute in 2017), and that is where the remaining people are. I'd hate the thing to go down with a whimper, but police are putting felony charges on jaywalkers there. If you have people depending on you, a felony charge can ruin your life. I wish I could say I was heading there again.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I'd hate the thing to go down with a whimper, but police are putting felony charges on jaywalkers there. If you have people depending on you, a felony charge can ruin your life. I wish I could say I was heading there again.

Fears about the US descending into a police state will come to a reality under the Trump administration. Not in New York City and other urban areas, but large parts of the country will fall to brutal, military style policing.

Edited by TheAuthority

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Ah yes, that's where I saw him. Ranting about the Muslim ban not bring a Muslim ban. He seemed even more passionate about it than people who are actually affected by it :lol:

That's what I meant with my original tweet. That him and Pat Condell are literally shaking with anger as they spout off and if you're watching this every day, you can easily be radicalised by it. To be THAT angry about it being called a Muslim ban (even though Guiliani called it that, and Spicer/Trump called it a ban numerous times) rather than focusing on the tens of thousands who are needlessly affected by it just shows his motivations.

The nuance of that observation was lost on his followers though.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

That's what I meant with my original tweet. That him and Pat Condell are literally shaking with anger as they spout off and if you're watching this every day, you can easily be radicalised by it. To be THAT angry about it being called a Muslim ban (even though Guiliani called it that, and Spicer/Trump called it a ban numerous times) rather than focusing on the tens of thousands who are needlessly affected by it just shows his motivations.

The nuance of that observation was lost on his followers though.

Oh yeah Pat Condell, that's another one. I think some Americans are easily enamoured by British accents. It's so obvious to anyone not blinded by hate what their goal is. I wonder, were they ranting about the Quebec shooting too? Somehow I doubt it.

Edited by Keyblade

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-38893253

Mia Ayliffe-Chung: Backpacker's mum slams Trump 'terror' claim

The mother of a backpacker who was stabbed to death in Australia has criticised the White House for labelling her death a "terror attack".

Mia Ayliffe-Chung, 20, who was killed at a hostel in Queensland in August, did not die as a result of terrorism, police have said. Despite this, her death was included on a list of 78 alleged "terror" attacks released by the Trump administration. Rosie Ayliffe said Mia's death must not be used to persecute innocent people. The White House released the list of attacks to back up Mr Trump's claim the media was "under-reporting" attacks committed or inspired by the Islamic State group. The list included the Bataclan theatre attack in Paris, the shootings in Sousse, Tunisia, which killed 30 British tourists, and Ms Ayliffe-Chung's murder.

The 20 year old, from Wirksworth, died from multiple stab wounds, during the attack at Home Hill, near Townsville. Australian police have ruled out the possibility her death - which was widely reported by media in the UK and abroad - was the result of a terror attack. Mr Trump's comments come amid a legal bid by his administration to restore a travel ban on visitors and refugees from seven predominantly Muslim countries. In an open letter to the president, Mrs Ayliffe said: 

"Treating immigrants as disposable commodities and disregarding their safety causes deaths throughout our so-called civilised world."

French national Smail Ayad, 29, has been charged with the murder of Ms Ayliffe-Chung and that of Thomas Jackson, 30, from Cheshire, who was also stabbed and later died in hospital. Mrs Ayliffe added:

"The possibility of Mia and Tom's deaths being consequent to an Islamic terror attack was discounted in the early stages of the police investigation. This vilification of whole nation states and their people based on religion is a terrifying reminder of the horror that can ensue when we allow ourselves to be led by ignorant people into darkness and hatred."

Just a little fake news watch.

a9ab76fdc9f916f26c5fa9a036fce741.jpg

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The incredulous look on the reporter is priceless. This guy actually said 'look at all the good things that came out' of the Charleston shooting.

This guy. So is it true that Shaun Duffy came to public prominence in 'The Real World: Boston'? lol. I can't wait for the days when reality TV numpties from the UK are members of parliament. :blink:

31 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

You sure it's not you mate? ;)

Meh.

I've accepted it as in the result, and leaving the EU.

I'm more annoyed by the divisive rhetoric by the Tories and prominent Brexit supporters, total lack of any plan and the need to arselick demagogic figures all for trade deals.

I'll hopefully be in Poland long enough to get EU citizenship anyway.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

This guy. So is it true that Shaun Duffy came to public prominence in 'The Real World: Boston'? lol. I can't wait for the days when reality TV numpties from the UK are members of parliament. :blink:

Just googled him and you're right. Been in a few reality TV shows before getting into politics :lol:

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I've accepted it as in the result, and leaving the EU.

I'm more annoyed by the divisive rhetoric by the Tories and prominent Brexit supporters, total lack of any plan and the need to arselick demagogic features all for trade deals.

Couldn't agree more. Especially when the plan to get everyone infighting over divisiveness is so obvious. The pressure needs to be on our own MP's more than ever during the legal untangling that will dominate the next decade.

I'll hopefully be in Poland long enough to get EU citizenship anyway.

more strings to the bow, never a bad thing.

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Meh.

You're well off track here. I'm well funny imo ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's brilliant, and shows just how much Citizens United changed the world we live in. I think it also says something about how outmoded the labels we use ti describe politics are - left, right, liberal, fascist, these things aren't effective in describing a world that's actually a battleground between profit and humanity.

You are so on the money to my way of thinking and concise too, I'd have probably spent paragraphs trying to make that point.

So, so applicable to the last year or two of UK politics too. Especially in regard to how far too many people view the whole EU/Brexit thing over here. Too many arbitrary divisive lines of human construct.

It is a long way from an accident that people are fighting about left vs right, gay vs straight, black vs white, christian vs muslim, adidas vs nike, social media star 1 vs social media star 2, when the real battle is as it has always been, those who control the wealth vs... 

• Like 4

Â