How many countries have you been to?

Xela

hmm, had sworn I'd posted in this thread already, but maybe not. Last year I added Greece ( Crete ), Belgium and the Netherlands. 

So... 

England

Wales

Scotland

France

Spain

Portugal

Spain

Italy

Canada

Germany

Australia

USA

Switzerland

Belgium 

Greece

Netherlands

hoping to add Poland this year, although technically I may be already able to count it, when I was in Germany the town where my ex lived was right on the border - well it literally is split iin half, and I think we walked round the Polish shopping area for a bit, but frankly that strikes me as cheating. So if I get to Krakow this year, can add that, otherwise think things will be quiet for a bit. Although I am in the early stages of dating someone with Swedish and African parentage, so who knows... might get to add a few if things go well enough to meet the folks...! :)

oh and belgian beer is clearly the best ( from where I've been ) 

Edited by Rodders

• 10 months later...

Armenia

Austria

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Cambodia

Croatia x 2

Czech Republic

England

Estonia

France x 20

Georgia

Germany x 3

Greece x 5

Hong Kong x 2

Hungary

Iceland * Next week

India x 2

Ireland

Italy x 2

Laos 

Latvia

Lithuania

Macau

Malaysia

Malta

Monaco

Morocco x 3

Netherlands x 2

Poland

Portugal x 2

scotland

Serbia

Spain x 10+

Thailand x 2

Turkey x 4

USA

Vatican City

Vietnam

Wales

Have to say i've pretty much loved every country I have been to on my list. Particular favourites are Hong Kong, India, Thailand, Laos, Georgia and Morocco. Hopefully should add 4 or 5 new ones to the list next year.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I like Surrey but that's not a country either :P

Good point, Hong Kong and China interchangeable....although a lot of the people in Hong Kong definately dont want  to be grouped in with the main landers!...1 country maybe but 2 very different societies. Anyway your earlier list counted Hong Kong :P

2 minutes ago, chicovilla said:

Good point, Hong Kong and China interchangeable....although a lot of the people in Hong Kong definately dont want  to be grouped in with the main landers!...1 country maybe but 2 very different societies. Anyway your earlier list counted Hong Kong :P

yeah and Tibet  :)

Probably not updated mine for a couple of years , so here goes ....

Albania

Armenia

Australia

Austria

American Samoa

Azerbaijan

Bangladesh

Belgium

Bahrain

Bhutan

Bulgaria

Barbados

Brunei Daruasalem

Cuba

Cambodia

China

Croatia

Czech Republic

Djibouti

Denmark

Ethiopia

Egypt

Ecuador

Estonia

England :-)

Finland

Fiji

France

Germany

Georgia

Gambia

Greece

Hungary

Hong Kong

Italy

India

Indonesia

Iran

Ireland

Israel

Jamaica

Jordan

Japan

Kazakhstan

Kenya

Korea , democratic people's republic ( North Korea )

Korea , republic of ( South Korea)

Kuwait

Kyrgyzstan

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Lao

Latvia

Lebanon

Malta

Mauritius

Mexico

Malaysia

Myanmar (Burma to some)

Mongolia

Morocco

Monaco

Nepal

Netherlands

New Zealand

Norway

Oman

Palestine

Panama  (well Ok , going there for Christmas )

Peru

Poland

Portugal

Philippines

Qatar

Russia

Romania

Sri Lanka

Syria

St. Lucia

Sweden

Switzerland

San Marino

Samoa

Singapore

Slovenia

Slovakia

Spain

Scotland

Taiwan

Tonga

Tibet ( though technically china )

Thailand

Tanzania

Turkey

Trinidad and Tobago

Tunisia

Turks and Caicos

Ukraine

United States of America

United Arab Emirates

Vietnam

Vatican City

Wales

Zanzibar (ok technically it Tanzania but I needed a Z :-) )

think I'm still missing a few in the above  ....

• Like 3

Hard to say  ...

my list has 104  , but I can't really count Zanzibar or Hong Kong as countries   ...

Tibet I'm counting as a country though ,if it's good enough for Richard Gere it's good enough for me  ....

so  then I guess it really comes down to how you view England, Scotland , Wales and should they count as separate countries  ?

But I did sorta have a beer in Armenia to toast it as my 100th country   :)

• Like 1

Very impressive. 50 is my target, think I am at 35/36 or so at the minute.

Slowed up a lot in recent years due to various factors (holiday mates getting married and having kids, buying a property and illness) but should hopefully add a couple more to the list in 2016. 

I still don't think I'm brave enough to go off on my own for a few weeks. 

15 hours ago, Xela said:

Very impressive. 50 is my target, think I am at 35/36 or so at the minute.

Slowed up a lot in recent years due to various factors (holiday mates getting married and having kids, buying a property and illness) but should hopefully add a couple more to the list in 2016. 

I still don't think I'm brave enough to go off on my own for a few weeks. 

yeah I've been lucky in that I have 2 mates that have been with me on most of the trips  ...  but I quite often go off on my own if Mrs H and the kids are away sometimes it will be 2 pm Friday and I'll see if I can get a flight out of Heathrow that night and do a long weekend somewhere new ... short breaks are fine on your own , sometimes better actually as you don't have to keep stopping for a beer break  !!

Dec last year , kids had broken up from school and gone to Hungary for a week to see the in-laws  ... I sent my mate a text on Thursday afternoon and said what are you doing tomorrow  , he replied nothing , why what have you got in mind   ... I text back ,fancy going to Jerusalem & Palestine , can get a flight on BA on Avios for £60 .... so there we were the next day at Tel Aviv airport  :)  ...

I may try a weekend away somewhere on my own next year. To be honest though, a big part of the break is the nights out with my mates. Even in Oslo this weekend, despite the price of beer, we won't be holding back! :)

20 hours ago, Xela said:

I may try a weekend away somewhere on my own next year. To be honest though, a big part of the break is the nights out with my mates. Even in Oslo this weekend, despite the price of beer, we won't be holding back! :)

Some of my best trips have been solo. Gives you the freedom to do what you want, when you want. Stay in  Hostels and you can easily meet up with other travellers and have fun. If you want a quiet night to chill then you can do that too. I tend to stay in 8-10 bed mixed dorms, usually guaranteed some nice eye candy and a very cheap way of travelling. 

23 hours ago, Xela said:

the problem I find is that then you'll end up in pubs all day / night and wont get to see as much .... My day in Oslo was full on , I know my 2 travel mates wouldn't have fancied half of what I did , we'd probably have done the palace , stopped in  a bar for a couple of beers , walked down to the parliament building had another beer and then seen the harbour and found a bar and sat there looking at pretty women until we were ready to move on to the next bar   .. I'd have missed out on the Museum Island and a host of decent stuff

We did Chernobyl last year after a  5am finish in Kiev ( a nasty session on cocktails and shots )  .. 8am the minibus picked us up , I had the shakes and the sweats not to mention I was starving ... needless to say you cant get food or drink in Chernobyl so it was a tough day and about 4pm before we finally managed to eat   ... it was still a brilliant day out but I kinda wish I had gone on my own and had a more civilised bed time he night before  ... more so as we did the same thing again  that evening and I then had to do my sightseeing around Kiev with the hangover from hell :) 

2 hours ago, chicovilla said:

Some of my best trips have been solo. Gives you the freedom to do what you want, when you want. Stay in  Hostels and you can easily meet up with other travellers and have fun. If you want a quiet night to chill then you can do that too. I tend to stay in 8-10 bed mixed dorms, usually guaranteed some nice eye candy and a very cheap way of travelling. 

that's precisely the reason to avoid hostels :D

Haha i like them - and i'm 43! Although it can be a bit tiring after a bit- i've recently gone onto air bnb accomodation, although will still go back to hostels for some trips. Some great hostels I stayed in, in Armenian and Georgia, and brilliant ones in Thailand (except one in Bangkok, where a couple started shagging on the bunk above me- 1 bad experiece in 20+ different hostels) For budget you can't beat it, and if you're solo a good way to mix. 

15 minutes ago, chicovilla said:

Haha i like them - and i'm 43! Although it can be a bit tiring after a bit- i've recently gone onto air bnb accomodation, although will still go back to hostels for some trips. Some great hostels I stayed in, in Armenian and Georgia, and brilliant ones in Thailand (except one in Bangkok, where a couple started shagging on the bunk above me- 1 bad experiece in 20+ different hostels) For budget you can't beat it, and if you're solo a good way to mix. 

as we tend to be 3 on the big trip , we book apartments , get a room each , a kitchen and a chance to do all our washing after xx number of days on the road  ... Our apartment in Armenia worked out at about £18 a night each .. Georgia was the same sort of price and the owner picked us up from the airport  .... If I want to meet other travellers then I'll met them in a bar and not to have worry about them shagging above my head :)

Yeah Air bnb similar principle. your own bathroom, Kitchen and lounge area. Great for comfort and some great bargains. recently had a luxury apartment in Granada overlooking Alhambra for £45 a night = £22.50 each for 2.  - Much, much cheaper than hotels, NEVER, NEVER use hotels, until you have checked the apartment/Air bnb option first.  

Works out good value if there's more than 1 of you, but not so cheap as Hostels if solo. £7 a night in Georgia, and less than £2 a night in Chiang Mai for example.

Edited by chicovilla
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

the problem I find is that then you'll end up in pubs all day / night and wont get to see as much .... My day in Oslo was full on , I know my 2 travel mates wouldn't have fancied half of what I did , we'd probably have done the palace , stopped in  a bar for a couple of beers , walked down to the parliament building had another beer and then seen the harbour and found a bar and sat there looking at pretty women until we were ready to move on to the next bar   .. I'd have missed out on the Museum Island and a host of decent stuff

We did Chernobyl last year after a  5am finish in Kiev ( a nasty session on cocktails and shots )  .. 8am the minibus picked us up , I had the shakes and the sweats not to mention I was starving ... needless to say you cant get food or drink in Chernobyl so it was a tough day and about 4pm before we finally managed to eat   ... it was still a brilliant day out but I kinda wish I had gone on my own and had a more civilised bed time he night before  ... more so as we did the same thing again  that evening and I then had to do my sightseeing around Kiev with the hangover from hell :) 

We are pretty disciplined and we aren't daytime drinkers (I just can't drink in the day then go out in the evening) so we get done what we want to in the day (especially if its a new city for us) and save the pubs for later.

Â