Assistant Referee Beaten to Death by Players

Czechlad

Richard Nieuwenhuizen is dead, his family is fatherless, and three teenagers are at the mercy of the justice system after last weekend’s tragic events in the Netherlands. On Sunday, Nieuwenhuizen was working as a referee’s assistant in a youth soccer game when teenage players attacked him after the final whistle. They punched and kicked the 41-year-old, who eventually collapsed and was rushed to the hospital. Nieuwenhuizen died on Monday, according to the Associated Press. “You can’t believe this could happen. That kids of 15 or 16 are playing football, you come to watch and see something like that,” Buitenboys club chairman Marcel Oost told NOS. Three players, aged 15 and 16, were arrested for their alleged involvement. They remain in custody, while police investigate the matter. Authorities have not ruled out arresting more suspects. One of Nieuwenhuizen’s sons was playing in the game for Buitenboys, and he presumably witnessed the attack. “He did it every week,” Oost said. “He enjoyed doing it. He was a real football man; he was always here.” Buitenboys club, located in the town of Almere, was hosting Amsterdam-based Nieuw Sloten. Players from the visiting team were allegedly involved in the attack. Nieuw Sloten has banned them and withdrawn from the league.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2012/12/richard-nieuwenhuizen-dutch-referees-assistant-beaten-to-death-by-teenage-soccer-players-as-son-watches-in-horror/

This is **** sick. He was beaten to death by the players. What type of person is so angry at a ref that they would kill him? It is just a game. The man had a wife and 3 children.

You have to wonder what the adults are doing at that club. When I was playing at that age respect was a big thing. if you swore in training matches you got sent off. You soon learned to control yourself.

When I was playing at that age respect was a big thing. if you swore in training matches you got sent off. You soon learned to control yourself.

Its not anymore, kids see their heroes swearing and abusing officials every week and monkey see monkey do. Its part of the cancer in the game thats turned me off it.

Â