Favourite city?

Xela

ive done tokyo and shanghai from that list, would happily recommend both, seoul i think will end up being a short stop on my way to somewhere else (see also singapore, hong kong, kuala lumpur) mumbai my missus would never go to so its looking like i'll need villa to play there pre season

did istanbul the other week, wasn't overly fussed if im honest, its ridiculously big and sprawling but it was fairly repetitive, there were only so many massive mosques i could be impressed by, got krakow, bratislava, salzburg, munich and cologne in for this year, salzburg for NYE

im going back towards the states if im honest, i should tick off new york next year for my honeymoon and will be flying somewhere after which means i might have to fly in to chicago, for my 5 wish list id probably then add in san francisco and new orleans, me loving milan i think in part was me loving italy so i imagine i would love rome and florence too, did do a quick look of doing an italian city tour by train, it wasnt ridiculously expensive

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Seoul is amazing and a bit more untapped, although that has waned quite a bit.

only city I've been too where you can walk down the stairs to the underground and still be walking 1015 minutes later to reach a platform

worth it though for the William tell type overture they play as the tube arrives :) 

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

ive done tokyo and shanghai from that list, would happily recommend both, seoul i think will end up being a short stop on my way to somewhere else (see also singapore, hong kong, kuala lumpur) mumbai my missus would never go to so its looking like i'll need villa to play there pre season

I've done Hong Kong, Bangkok, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Manila and Saigon from that side of the world. Loved them all for different reasons.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

think in part was me loving italy so i imagine i would love rome and florence too, did do a quick look of doing an italian city tour by train, it wasnt ridiculously expensive

Trains do look fairly reasonable in Italy ... we hired a car and had a bit more freedom though ....I.e from Florence you can drive to Pisa , on the way from Florence to Venice you can stop of in San Marino / Rimini .... 

On 23/02/2017 at 20:43, Xela said:

Cities I want to go to...

Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, Shanghai and Mumbai probably top the list. 

I do like my Asian metropolises! 

I've done all of those apart from Shanghai

Nothing prepares you for the madness that is Mumbai and it's traffic ... it took nearly 4 hours to get to the airport and even that was because our driver went off road and through shanty towns that may have never seen a car before , otherwise we'd probably still be in the traffic jam !!

im kinda glad I went but I don't think anything would ever convince me to go back to Mumbai .... 

13 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I've done all of those apart from Shanghai

Nothing prepares you for the madness that is Mumbai and it's traffic ... it took nearly 4 hours to get to the airport and even that was because our driver went off road and through shanty towns that may have never seen a car before , otherwise we'd probably still be in the traffic jam !!

im kinda glad I went but I don't think anything would ever convince me to go back to Mumbai .... 

4 hours! 

I thought Jakarta was bad. 2 hours to go a few miles at about 8pm on a weekday evening! The lack of a metro/underground system really cripples some of these cities. 

Mumbai is more for curiosity, rather than any huge sight seeing desire. 

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

saigon might happen as part of a wider trip round vietnam, jakarta and manila i dont ever see happening for me

Yeah there isn't much in Manila or Jakarta from a culture perspective, but they were convenient stop offs on the way to and back from Borneo. Plus the nightlife was off the chart in both places, although I did have help... I had a work colleague I was friendly with in Jakarta and she showed me and my mates the best bars and clubs and likewise in Manila, I was friends with a girl there and she and her mates did the same. I was bowled over by how friendly the people were in both countries. 

Plus as a single western bloke there, shooting fish in a barrel is an appropriate phrase! 

• Like 2

Would also like to see Dubau, but only as a stopover for a day or two

Moving out of the Middle East and Asia and into South America, I would love to see Rio, BA, Lima, Medellin & Cartagena

So much to see and do

On 23/02/2017 at 18:49, Xela said:

Excellent choices. Been to HK 3 or 4 times (can't remember) and Bangers 5 times. 

Got a hankering to go back as its been 4 years since I was last in both.

Kinda biased as im marrying a Hong Konger next month over there! But a billiant place and cant wait to get back there. Honeymooning in Taiwan!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Xela said:

Moving out of the Middle East and Asia and into South America, I would love to see Rio, BA, Lima, Medellin & Cartagena

So much to see and do

Dont lower yourself to Dubai @Xela. Its the Man City/Chelsea of travelling. But without the (limited) history.....;)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Dont lower yourself to Dubai @Xela. Its the Man City/Chelsea of travelling. But without the (limited) history.....;)

I know a couple of people out there so would just be a flying visit before heading off somewhere else. Plus it ticks the box :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Xela said:

dubai for me personally is a massive no, does nothing for me, ive been to the airport, seen the burj out the window, thats enough

ive looked at Rio and BA as a multi centre, will hopefully get to do it one day, had a proper look at cartagena for my honeymoon, i think at the moment the hotels are there, especially in the city stretch of it but the resorts on the beach side of it arent there yet and thats what im after

• Like 1

On 23/02/2017 at 20:43, Xela said:

Cities I want to go to...

Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, Shanghai and Mumbai probably top the list. 

I do like my Asian metropolises! 

Seoul is amazing. I was there on a shopping trip for work and only had 48 hours so I didn't get much culture, but it was the coolest city I've been to in Asia.  We went on to Tokyo from there, and whilst it was mind-blowing it was also raining the whole time so it took the edge off it.  Went to the restaurant where they filmed the fight scene in Kill Bill, though.  That was a privilege.

• Like 1

gonpachi in roppongi? 1495530_10152784032210917_30255367761390

awesome place, didnt fully understand it when i went in, think tapas but rather than loads of little plates all at once you just keep ordering and eating, and drinking...didnt get to sit on the mats upstairs i just took the picture on the way to the toilet, left there quite drunk, walked to shibuya and then from shibuya to shinjuku, was a bit of a mission

• Like 1

Â