Villa Times?

villa-revolution

This is not an I'm a better fan than you thread, far from it, however, due to age, it could be construed as I'm a longer Villa fan than you thread.

I watched my first ever Villa game in August 1968, a 1-0 home win against Bristol City & I have seen every Villa home game since.

There was a time in the mid seventies to late 80's when I would religiously follow the Villa all over the country, normally at least 17 away games per season. I actually stopped going to away games when the F A in their infinite wisdom decided that the home team would keep all the gate reciepts because I simply refused to financially support any other club.

Anyway, the point I am coming to is this - I reckon on average I must have seen Villa play at least 30 times per season over this past 44 years.

That means I have now seen 44 X 30 = 1320 matches + Everton, Tranmere, Swansea, & "The Boggies" matches tat home this season so thats roughly an estimated 1324 matches all told.

So, do other fans know exactly or roughly how many times they have watched our claret & blue heroes?

Do you keep count?

Over to you.

I'm only 37 mate, so no... not anywhere near ya...

I'm still 'young,' and you've got your memories...

I'm just glad that Villa won a league in my lifetime, won the European Cup in my lifetime (and that I remember it), and I have seen them win a trophy in person at Wembley (1996)...

The FA Cup might be nice, though I have seen us lose a final.

With a model railway round my back garden to finance and a 5 y/o daughter, I have other things to spend money on, so apart from the odd cup run or appealing away fixture, I'm only normally down Villa Park...

My first game was Charlton at VP in 1969 a dour 0-0 bore draw in front of just 12,000 fans, but it set the spark,

I have missed a handful of games at VP since and went to nearly all the away matches up till the early nineties,

always attended the reserve games when i couldn`t go away and all the youth team cup matches at VP and 2 away.

Including our most famous night in Rotterdam i reckon to have seen over 1400 Villa games of one sort or another,

but still yearn for the special buzz of being a Villan in the 3rd Division days, even the European Cup couldn`t beat

those days.

Once, 13 years ago. But I have an excuse called the Atlantic Ocean preventing me from going more often.

When I hit the lottery, I'm buying a season ticket 8)

One more than me. Would love to get over sometime for a few games at VP!

Slightly off topic, but in a similar vein, I was talking to two plastic Liverpool fans a few weeks back, and worked out I'd seen Liverpool play more times than both of them put together! Amused me greatly that did, I can tell you!

As for Villa, I'd say probably about the 500 game mark.

My first game was 14th November 1959 (Aston Villa 11 Charlton Athlectic 1 :-) )

I havent kept count of how many games, but have had a season ticket for many, many years at various times in the Holte, Witton Lane, North Stand and now Trinity. Following marriage, kids etc my attendance was poor to middling in the mid 80's to early 90's. My "heyday" in terms of travelling to away matches would have been beginning of 70's through to early 80's - however for the last 10 years the average has probably been 5-8 away per season.

So purely an estimate but reckon with cup, home, away etc somewhere in the region of 1500 - 1750

First league game I remember seeing was against Bristol Rovers, with Brian Godfrey and And Lochead in the side. The date escapes me.

Its anyones guess how many games I've seen since, especially when you factor in the endless cup games, league and European, but its probably around the 1500-2000 mark. I was a season ticket holder and shareholder for so long and a constant at away fixtures, but had to eventually call it a day when we relocated to the southwest. Now, I'm lucky to get up once or twice a year.

What concerns me more is how much this obsession has actually cost me across the years.......a small fortune and a marriage for a start!

Ha!.....worth every penny. UTV

The first match I remember is the 2nd leg of the 1960-1 League Cup final which oddly was at Villa Park in September 1961, although I'm pretty sure I also went to a couple of league games in the 60-61 season. We beat Rotherham 3-0 to win on aggregate 3-2. I had a dead good view of Packy McParland scoring a crucial goal - can't remember if it was the 2nd that took us into extra time or the winner. Anyway, I saw Villa raise a cup and that was me won over for life.

I'm far too old to remember how many matches I've been to but I went to most home matches from 1960-73 (quite a few away from the mid-60s) and as many as I could manage after that once I'd moved away from the Midlands. Generally only get to London matches these days - my first of the season at Fulham in two weeks!

I'm very sad and keep a record of every Villa match I go to. Sunday's match at Spurs will be my 1,245th game, having been to my first as an eight year old on 16th April, 1966 at home to Burnley.

Having moved to Shrewsbury 22 years ago and run junior football teams for 10 years whilst my two sons were growing up I went a good while going to hardly any away games, but Sunday's game will be my 84th out of the last 87 home and away league games.

my villa following isnt very impressive

first game i went to was against newcastle, i sat in the holte upper, my ticket cost £5.50, i was bored most of the game, we lost 2-0, with lee and cole scoring, cant remember what year this was or how old i was

i went to half a douzen games in MONs first season, then got bored again, havnt been back since, but mainly because i cant afford it as i have a house, 2 kids and 3 cars to spend my money on, and my cars are a bigger hobby to me than watching a bunch over paid primadonna fairies

never been to an away game either, for a reason already mentioned, i refuse to hand my money over to another club, i dont buy club merchandise anymore either, and never bought a shirt, i dont see the point in wearing a shirt for only 10 months, especially at the rip off prices they are

ive been to less than 50 games i'd say...

the first game i rememeber going to was the 7-1 win against wimbledon.

i won the tickets and was sitting in the away end but still celebrated each goal to its fullest

i'll always remember the wimbledon fans doing a konga round the lower north singing "we want 10" and after going 1 up that was great sportsmanship!

my last game was a humiliating 3-0 defeat at the hands of middlesbrough in Villa Park about 11 years back... havent lived in england really since so no opportunity t go again

Â