The Nokia Lumia 920

CVByrne

I was planing on getting the new Lumia phone pretty much for certain. But now I'm incedibly excited about it. Fist of all, that yellow Lumia 920 has to be the best looking phoe ever. People think the iPhones look good, Nokia has always made the best looking phones. It looks stunning. Watching the presentation and then looking at my S3 is depressing how bland it looks. I want that awesome yellow Lumia now.

Then onto the real surprises. The camera features look amazing, there are so many of them that would be so useful. The removal of moving people from your shots if it works like they say is a killer feature. Absolutly killer. A key thing for me from the S2 and S3 has been the cameras, I take photos and I'm not very good at it. I love the idea that my phone will help me out. Bust shot on the S3 is a cool feature, I like it.

But Nokia are the kings of camera phones and I imagine the stuff they say about the springs inside the lense to stop me ruining photos with shaking will work. Creating little gif's instead of straight photos is also cool. Then the new Lens features and apps sound great, layer just does't cut it on the S3. Of course only like 5 cities in the world will have full hud info, but I live in London so I'm assuming it'll be well supported info wise.

Also live tiles look great, the way you can pin them to the start screen, they seem like cooler versions of widgets which I use alot on my S3, so I hope they are as good as they look. Then onto the hardware, they are talking that screen up quite a bit so I'll believe them that it's excellent. I'm an AMOLED fan so I hope this screen really is good. To be fair to LCD, the One X has a fantastic screen. Then the S4 processor with a battery bigger than the S3's will mean better batterylife than the S3, which has excellent longevity. Also with the winters we get the ability to use the phone with gloves on is excellent too.

Then the wireless charging, the broken promise of the S3, the thing we never got. If I can get that charger shipped with my Lumia then I'll be a happy camper. I want 2 actually, one for work. The fact that they're getting coffee shops to put charging plates into tables is a great idea. I think Nokia have nailed it, a phone that you can see people genuinely wanting.

But we all know nothing in this world is perfect. I want my sd card slot. Could it be made a law that all phones have to have one? Also I have 2 big big big fears about leaving Andoid.

1. lack of gmail itegration. It's the one thing Google have that may be impossible to live without. Gchat is the thing I use most on my phone, without it I'll have a breakdown. I hope some reviewer can comment propely on gmail on WP8.

2. The trump card of Android, our uified notification bar. I tells me everything we ever need to know. It could be a big struggle to lose that.

Also I worry about Dropbox integation as I'm a big fan of it and me and my mates need it to share dj sets. Then of couse Tasker, my favourite app. It just can't exist on WP8.

But these are things I hope can be remedied, there has to be a way of getting a decent gmail app on WP8. I'm sure of it. But I await the full reviews.

It staggers me how much of the marketing you just accept without a thought.

Nokia haven't made a good looking phone in over a decade. Personally I think the yellow phone looks cheap and tacky. I'd worry about it being stolen until thieves realise that they can't actually fence them after the first few months.

Nokia have never been the "kings of camera phones", they'd be 5th in my top 5 (behind Apple, Samsung, Motorola and SE in no particular order). Perhaps your professed lack of knowledge in this area is colouring your perception.

Microsoft have a nasty habit of encrypting SD cards exclusively to a device when mounted with their mobile OSes, it's probably for the best that the Lumia doesn't have a slot. Besides, how will MS lock you into their app store if you can install ROMs from an SD card?

"live tiles" are widgets. They are programs running in your launcher. If you wanted to program Android widgets to look like tiles, it would not be difficult. Try the "foneclay" launcher for an example of just what you can make a launcher do. Good luck changing the launcher on your Lumia when you tire of it.

I really hope you enjoy your new phone, but please stop repeating marketing bollocks as if it's your opinion. It's like you are trying to justify your purchasing decision to yourself. Everyone else is happy to wait and see if for the first time ever MS fulfil their promises. It's never happened before.

PS, how much will your anti-virus cost? I'd worry about that being delivered before the wireless charger.

Don't read my posts then instead of replying with a stupid pathetic and vindictive rant.

What is good though is that the experts. Which are not you anti Microsoft bullshit ranter. Have all received it well, engadget, the verge and Techradar.

And stuff your arrogant marketing shit up your hole. I like the look of the phone, just because you don't doesn't mean no one else is allowed to.

Please now berate vlad savov on Twitter for thinking the phone looks stunning. People are not allowed their own opinions in your world.

Honestly what **** harm does my liking of this phone do to you?

Or is it just anything to do with Microsoft that can't stand that you have to vent?

If I was reading that between you and another poster you would be strongly warned or even banned for the ad hominem attack. As I can't be objective I'll leave it for another moderator to deal with.

It's great that you like the phone. I'm allowed to say that I don't. I'm also allowed to explain, by detailed response to your claims, why I have that opinion.

I can't choose not to read what you write, I'm the publisher of the site. Besides it's only because you posted regurgitated marketing spiel that I reacted. I'd do the same if you (or anyone else) was doing the same about Apple, Google, Samsung, Microsoft, Oracle, Christianity or anything else (except possibly AVFC). It's got nothing to do with you personally. It's got nothing to do with your opinion on this phone. It's that you are paraphrasing material someone else has been paid to write as if it is facts.

Can I suggest that if you react like this to being called on it that you either don't post it, or post it on one of those sites you mention. The sites given the toys to play with in expectation of favourable write-ups.

Honestly what **** harm does my liking of this phone do to you?

Perhaps you missed my penultimate paragraph:

I really hope you enjoy your new phone, but please stop repeating marketing bollocks as if it's your opinion. It's like you are trying to justify your purchasing decision to yourself.

This isn't about your liking of the phone or otherwise, it's about you repeating marketing bollocks as fact.

I do particularly like the deep, deep irony in this sentence though:

People are not allowed their own opinions in your world.

Of course you didn't read the last comment of my post either

But I await the full reviews

You also don't get it, Windows Phone 8 looks cool and is certainly the most modern looking OS albeit a weaker one than Android. Then you have a stunning looking Nokia to go with it. I just loved that yellow one the moment I saw the pictures, and most people will agree (and all 3 of my fav tech sites have along with plenty I follow on twitter) is a lovely looking phone. I am bored with my bland looking Galaxy phones and would enjoy trying something new, a Lumia 920 running WP8 is very different. I've always owned Nokias since the 90s and I like them, the world of phones would be a worse place with bland Asian manufacturers and now boring looking Apple devices.

I wanted wirelesss charging with my S3 but never got it. I have just had loads of blurry photos on my S3 from Ibiza and am interested in the camera tech they were talking about in the 920. Who gives a shit about the marketing, I can try the phone myself and see if I like it. If it was marketing I'd have an ipad and a tiny little shitty 4S and a too heavy, inferior screen old looking macbook air. I don't. What I do have is the disposable income to go buy a 920 and the new Nexus and try out something other than my Galaxy S series of phones.

You do have a hatred for Microsoft though, which is what this is all about. But I'll actually try the device and the WP8 OS and make up my own mind if that's ok with you.

You do have a hatred for Microsoft though, which is what this is all about. But I'll actually try the device and the WP8 OS and make up my own mind if that's ok with you.

Thanks for explaining my opinion on Microsoft so clearly. Please don't presume to know me. I've already installed win8 and used it. Have you?

I advocate the best tool for each job. Windows is the right tool occasionally. Usually, it's just the lowest common denominator.

I don't hate Microsoft (although I probably did when they were actually behaving in an illegal manner). I don't like many of their products much, I think their business practices show an unhealthy level of arrogance and they have a bizarre internal structure which leads to different parts of the organisation having a completely different stance on any issue to other parts of the business. Their tools don't interoperate well. They also produce good products, like Visual Studio. I've worked with some of Microsoft's best engineers, who usually have the same frustration with their own software as I do.

It's great that you are going to wait and see what it's like, but in that case why do you keep posting telling us how brilliant it will be before you've done that? Is there a single marketing claim for this phone that you don't believe?

Thanks mykey, I was back in work and had too many meetings this morning, feeling very wrecked after 5 days in Ibiza and saw the outlandish and brash yellow lumia 900 and just think it'll be a bit of fun to own so posted this (what I thought was a harmless fun piece) It's very different to the S3 that's for sure and I've no doubt WP8 is inferior to Android. I even said it.

It was a soft launch though I think Chindie. Think they'll come back and go to town on their marketing after the full WP8 and Windows 8 launch, I bet they'll also show of the cyan model then too in October and try do a worldwide launch and just go for broke.

But, if they fail it is the end of them and I hope of course that doesn't happen, but if they do go down can it please please be Samsung who buys them. Samsung need their design talent. Samsung can make the best looking laptops in the world, but fail to make nice looking smartphones. So frustrating.

Though I think by Q1 2013 it's defo too late for RIM. They are gone.

What marketing claims? I have no idea what you keep blabbering about? I am talking about stuff that has me excited, stuff I wasn't expecting Nokia to do or have at all in this phone. Like the stuff in the S3 launch we'll only know about the features when the phone gets reviewed. I ended my post with that statement. Can you read? Honestly can you read?

What is wrong with starting a thread about this phone? It's off topic in Android and iPhone threads. Seriously just give it a rest. I get it you don't like any colourful phones, you hate windows etc...

So all these facts you are posting, the ones you've got second hand from Microsof't's and Nokia's marketing teams via your favourite websites. Websites who if they right bad things might not get any more samples. You think somehow that this isn't marketing spin? Really? You actually believe that?

The only colour phones shouldn't be (in my opinion) is white. I'd quite like a yellow phone. As I said in my first reply "Personally I think the yellow phone looks cheap and tacky". It's this one phone I'm talking about. The one in the subject of the thread. Yet it's my comprehension called into question?

Who has said you've done something wrong in starting a thread? Why are you trying to be the victim when I'm the only person who's been abused in this thread?

Look limpid you're just being an ass here, my original post is littered with comments on all the features followed by "if it works" or "sounds good" or "I imagine", then live tiles "look great" and "they seem like cooler versions of widgets". Where do you get any statement of facts from there? Honestly?

I then mention my reservations about leaving AMOLED screens. Mention I want my SD Card slot. Plus what I may find impossible to live without in Android, Gmail integration and unified notifications.

So seriously dude, the rare time I'm in the right here. You went off on one with a rant as if your opinions are right and mine are just like an Apple fanboi believing everything Steve Jobs tells me. But in this case Elop and Ballmer.

I ended my post with "But I await the full reviews". I read reviews of every premium smartphone from at least 3 sites and always let detailed opinions from experts influence my own decisions. If the phone gets slated it will of course influence my opinions. For example HTC's poor batterylife and lack of SD Card has left Samsung as my only choice in the Android sphere.

I read tonnes of reviews of Ultrabooks before I decided what one I wanted. Because weight and batterylife mattered to me more than how good the keyboard is to type on. So was making an informed descision on my purchase based on marketing hype?

I am hoping the reviews of the lumia will praise the camera and batterylife, I already like the look of the phone. But I'm not allowed like the look of the phone because you don't? and the fact I like it is just because of marketing? I've seen the Lumia 800 and 900 and liked the look of them and bought an S3. What's wrong with having an opinion on the look of a phone?

Then onto your hatred of windows. That is you, your opinion. Go read some tech sites and see some experts lauding Windows 8, see people praising what they've seen of WP8. People who's job it is to review these things can have opinions on the OS? Are they allowed? Is that ok with you? So am I allowed to like Windows?

Finally, I've said all along I am getting bored of Android, I want to try something new and that was WP8 and see if it was any good, make my OWN opinion on it. If I don't like it, I'll buy the new Nexus like I said. I can do this because I can afford too. I can buy a phone to try it out and then sell it if I don't like it, or buy a 2nd phone and have 2.

So, what is wrong with giving Windows Phone 8 and the Nokia Lumia 920 a try out? Nothing other than your opinions.

My problem with iphone fans were they believed their phone was the best, regardless. I'm going in knowing android is better. I've never said at all that WP8 is better or will be better than android.

Look limpid you're just being an ass here,

Please stop with the personal remarks.

So seriously dude, the rare time I'm in the right here. You went off on one with a rant as if your opinions are right and mine are just like an Apple fanboi believing everything Steve Jobs tells me. But in this case Elop and Ballmer.

So you are allowed to post your opinions and I'm not?

I read tonnes of reviews of Ultrabooks before I decided what one I wanted. Because weight and batterylife mattered to me more than how good the keyboard is to type on. So was making an informed descision on my purchase based on marketing hype?

and you'll notice that as what you posted about ultrabooks was accurate and balanced, I didn't comment in a similar manner. Same as when you were posting comparative posts about Android devices in response to posts in Apple threads.

I am hoping the reviews of the lumia will praise the camera and batterylife, I already like the look of the phone. But I'm not allowed like the look of the phone because you don't? and the fact I like it is just because of marketing? I've seen the Lumia 800 and 900 and liked the look of them and bought an S3. What's wrong with having an opinion on the look of a phone?

No-one has said you can't say you like it. Am I allowed to say I don't like it? Marketing doesn't affect how the product looks and I've not said it does. I don't like it and said so. You said that you like it because Nokia make good looking phones. I don't think they do. It's my opinion. It would be nice if you could say which of Nokia's phones gave them that reputation in your eyes, but it sounded like you were repeating a soundbite to me.

Then onto your hatred of windows. That is you, your opinion. Go read some tech sites and see some experts lauding Windows 8, see people praising what they've seen of WP8. People who's job it is to review these things can have opinions on the OS? Are they allowed? Is that ok with you? So am I allowed to like Windows?

As I think I said pretty clear I don't have a hatred of Windows. Please stop repeating this lie. It's my job to recommend these things. My opinion is vastly different from the sites you've been reading, especially from a enterprise perspective. I have actually used windows 8. I have first hand experience. Do you only accept tech advice from sites who say what you want to read? I don't use Windows for my desktop as it is inferior in almost every way for MY usage. Who has said you aren't allowed to like Windows? Am I allowed an opinion, or is it only your opinion allowed?

Finally, I've said all along I am getting bored of Android, I want to try something new and that was WP8 and see if it was any good, make my OWN opinion on it. If I don't like it, I'll buy the new Nexus like I said. I can do this because I can afford too. I can buy a phone to try it out and then sell it if I don't like it, or buy a 2nd phone and have 2.

Not that it's relevant to the discussion, but you haven't said that all along, you've started saying it recently. So you are trying to justify a decision you've already made? That's also fine and explains quite a lot about the tone of your original post.

So, what is wrong with giving Windows Phone 8 and the Nokia Lumia 920 a try out? Nothing other than your opinions.

Absolutely nothing. I look forward to reading about your experiences, rather the the experiences of others who have a vested interest.

My problem with iphone fans were they believed their phone was the best, regardless. I'm going in knowing android is better. I've never said at all that WP8 is better or will be better than android.

You have a problem with iphone fans, I have a problem with fanbois of any flavour. Especially the ones who don't realise.

Techradar and the verge basically saying the same thing. But I think they're missing a point from both pieces. Nokia had to show this off before the iphone was released so some people might wait to see it. If it didn't exist then there was nothing to put in consumers minds to even possibly make them think of not getting a new iphone.

Limpid give it a rest, you're above response is a poor attempt to avoid a backtrack. In all parts you quoted and wrote in your above post you decided to totally skip over my first 2 paragraphs which pointed out how your first response was more anger towards me (because I want to buy a Nokia WP!!) and condescending statements than opinion on the content of my post or your own opinion on the Lumia 920.

So of course I was very pissed off by your first reply, to say "the marketing you just accept without a thought" and then "stop repeating marketing bollocks as if it's your opinion". My whole opening post WAS my opinion, and it was filled with the reservations, filled with them if you read it properly.

Reservations I pointed out to you but you have decided to skip over in your responses and it shows how hot headed and incorrect you comments about me in your first reply was.

my original post is littered with comments on all the features followed by "if it works" or "sounds good" or "I imagine", then live tiles "look great" and "they seem like cooler versions of widgets". Where do you get any statement of facts from there? Honestly?

Then I balance my opening post with my criticisms of the phone. Which you again decide to ignore in your response.

I then mention my reservations about leaving AMOLED screens. Mention I want my SD Card slot. Plus what I may find impossible to live without in Android, Gmail integration and unified notifications.

Also the ending of "But I await the full reviews". Yes my post was full of excitement at the Phone. But what harm does that do?

What makes this even funnier is that the tech sites posted pieces a few hours later expressing interest in many of the same things I expressed interest in. Which make your response look even more silly.

I just wanted to discuss the phone, we're flooded with same same android phones and the archaic iPhone, the first real windows phone comes along and I wanted to start a discussion on it. But you ruined that with your opening post, which should have been about the phone and not about me.

Yes my response was hot headed but you had to expect that with they way your post was.

I strongly suggest that this thread returns its focus to the merits or otherwise of the subject title item and departs from its critique of it's own posts by its own posters, otherwise it is not long for this world and one or more of its contributors may regret their posts.

I'm not sure why you think I was angry?

It's my opinion that you were posting regurgitated marketing spiel. I don't really see how anyone can argue with that when other than some pictures, that is all that's available. They haven't even announced a price.

My only opinion of the phone is that I don't like it's looks. I'm not even the only person in this thread to say that.

It's great that you've found some web sites which agree with you. I'll bet I can find others that don't. It'll be harder though, because the ones that don't say nice things don't get early access, promotional materials, related advertising or wined and dined on the expense account.

You are and always were free to discuss anything about the phone in this thread, only you have suggested otherwise. No-one was ever stopping you. I find it amusing that you are reacting in exactly the way the fanbois did to your posts when you dissed their iphones. But I'm guessing the irony is lost.

Feel free to have the last word. If you still want to discuss this, let's do it by PM. This must be the only thread about this handset on the whole internet which made it to two pages (outside of the marketing, sorry "review", sites).

Â