Eyewitness report from the Bridge

PauloBarnesi

What about the suggestions on the mailing list that the free transport enabled a more unsavoury element of Villa supporter to make the trip that they ordinarily wouldn't make. Proven by there being more Tracy songs, more Shit on the City songs and the coin/bottle throwing.

It's a side effect that we perhaps couldn't possibly have predicted. Shame really.

I was there last night and all that can be said is we were totally outclassed. That aside, when we were 3 down Chelsea were like a shark smelling blood they simply kept coming at us. It could have been 6, shevchenko has a shot out of nowhere which sorensen did very well to deal with. Its not that we were bad or showed lack of effort i just think we were chasing shadows for the last 20. Agbonlahor played well until the supply of ball stopped, he looked dangerous everytime he got the ball on a run. Bouma looks dreadfully slow, Ridgewell did better marking Shev than Laursen did in the first half. Baros didn't see the ball so the negative comments towards him are a bit harsh. Berger tried bloody hard to pass and move and against other teams this year if he gets game time he will help out with Petrov.

All in all are we really that suprised? Great support from the Villa fans noisy all night still singing when we were down and out, true class!!!

Excellent article. Although I expected we'd either grind out a result or get tonked, I was still disappointed by the attitude of the players you have questioned. Baros needs to go, he's been shocking this season and is probably sulking that he didn't get his move to Hamburg. Similarly, several players just weren't up to it and looked veyr poor.

You can dress it up all you like but losing 4-0 to anyone is a poor result. Major changes are needed!

Some players needed to step up to the plate; Petrov being the main one, but to a lesser extent Davis, Bouma and Hughes. Out of that lot Davis and Hughes might have shown commintment, but were lacking something more. Petrov and Bouma were poor. Baros is just playing with no heart. Berger is past it

Out of that lot Davis and Hughes might have shown commintment, but were lacking something more.

In Hughes' case I might suggest quality, in which case he can't decide to be quality in the next game hence him being a priority in January. Or at least getting Delaney back.

Delaney isn’t the answer; he’s just not reliable (to play games). In the centre we look strong, but we need to make the left and right back positions work; we need to decide whether to move Barry permamently back there; I don’t subscribe to this he’s too good to play there argument. The right Back (and right midfield in general) needs some new blood. Would a decent Right midfielder make Hughes look better? Probably.

Last night shows what we need to aspire to.

We can be a top 6 -8 team, but above that, we will need some more quality in January and a better attitude from some of the players.

However, we are still going in the right direction and results like this will tell MON a lot more about the players.

What about the suggestions on the mailing list that the free transport enabled a more unsavoury element of Villa supporter to make the trip that they ordinarily wouldn't make. Proven by there being more Tracy songs, more Shit on the City songs and the coin/bottle throwing.

It's a side effect that we perhaps couldn't possibly have predicted. Shame really.

Well to be fair I expected more anti-Blues stuff and from where I was downstairs I did not hear as much as I expected. The good thing was that when a Tracy song got started I and a few around me started booing, cue looks at us from those singing but they stopped....

The coin and bottle throwing did not go unseen as I was sat with the club officials off the busses and they have been asked to report anything which they will.

One thing that struck me was how drunk some people seemed considering they only had two hours!!!

As for the OP - maybe it was being with you in the pub PB but it's nice to see we were at the very same match

From where I was standing.. upper shed, middle... we could hear bugger all for most of the match from the Chelsea lot... very poor support indeed. Our lads sung their hearts out and therefore i´m shattered and going to bed... zzz

good report PB, next time I´ll find you all!

Thought you couldn't make it, would no-one take your ticket?

From where I was standing.. upper shed, middle... we could hear bugger all for most of the match from the Chelsea lot... very poor support indeed. Our lads sung their hearts out and therefore i´m shattered and going to bed... zzz

good report PB, next time I´ll find you all!

Thought you couldn't make it, would no-one take your ticket?

Nope.. my one best offer came via a pm that never arrived. I blame the site admin :winkold: Just kidding guys!

Re the chelsea view point... well done to their apparent under 11s with the freebie song but i couldnt hear them. I saw a lot of waving and fingers stuck up to us at one point from that section though. But not a lot else from the whole ground... ps 93 coaches according to our driver and rep...

ps 93 coaches according to our driver and rep...

I think SSN said 96.

Not that it really matters...

Good amount either way. I'd say the coach company would have a better idea than SSN on this one. Especially as coach 93 was designated the stragglers coach and had to drive around london picking up lost villains... so it didnt leave til past midnite.

Excellent report. i think you're spot on about Bouma. The little I saw of him last season i always thought that his positional sense was terrible, which you can sometimes get away with if you know how to run. He's been described as a pub footballer in the past. I find it hard to disagree.

I have to say O'Neill looked more harassed than O'Leary on the day he was sacked tonight in his post match interview, he kept rewinding what he wanted to say.

I think he was disappointed for the travelling thousands more than anything else and very pissed with the performance the team put out.

To suggest we are a top 5 side is a bit much but were should be in the mix come May for the top 6 we aren't that bad.

.....He may have looked more harassed because he cares more than O'leary ever did( my opinion)...... you answered your own observation.Yes Malc it is the measure of the man that he was pissed off for us ,not himself.But rest assured he will overcome.

Excellent report. i think you're spot on about Bouma. The little I saw of him last season i always thought that his positional sense was terrible, which you can sometimes get away with if you know how to run. He's been described as a pub footballer in the past. I find it hard to disagree.

Bouma.... I struggle to find positives in his play......Its amazing how first impressions have legs.

Had planned to do a post about the day and the experience but it´s a bit late so hopefully these little camera phone photos will give some who didn´t make it something to picture... nothing special and also a nod to bickster who mentioned me not wanting to take a little camera phone in.. i didn´t bother with a real camera!

I´ll try to do it in order.. if any contravene copyright let me know and i´ll take em off... and remember.. they are crappy phone photos ok, no moaning

Starting with the coaches lined up...

DSC00905.jpg

DSC00907.jpg

DSC00908.jpg

DSC00909.jpg

DSC00926.jpg

DSC00927.jpg

DSC00928.jpg

Before the game the Witton Lane Stand was open... onto the front then i went...

DSC00918.jpg

DSC00915.jpg

DSC00914.jpg

DSC00913.jpg

DSC00912.jpg

My coach

DSC00925.jpg

Of course I took some of myself and the Holte but you aren´t getting those yet..

Oh, look.. if you´ve been wondering what Steve Stride has been up to since the takeover.. i found this in the Witton Lane Stand...

DSC00924.jpg

At the ground... this is where our upper lot went in.. we are the boys of the shed army

DSC00932.jpg

In the ground...

DSC00935.jpg

DSC00936.jpg

DSC00937.jpg

DSC00938.jpg

DSC00939.jpg

DSC00940.jpg

DSC00941.jpg

DSC00942.jpg

DSC00943.jpg

DSC00944.jpg