Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

We definately need to keep Given until the summer

He is a great back up keeper to have no doubt about it and I really really cannot see the logistics behind selling him in January whatsoever.

What keepers are out there that are 'better' than Given that will be available in January for us to sign that would accept 50k or less to just come and sit on the bench?

I can't see Guzan losing his place unless injured so for me goalkeppers are the last area of the team we need to focus on right now.

Given at 50k a week is not a problem as a quality backup keeper until the end of the season when we have more time to review the situation. Hell we had beye, sidwell, heskey all on 70k+ a week that offered jack shit in terms of quality to us.

If Given handed in a transfer request in January and left then that is a whole different scenario.

No. Given will not be sitting on the bench all season. He will get games in cup matches, keeping Guzan on his toes and from January until the end of the season, what would be the difference paying Given's wages and having to pay a transfer fee for another keeper plus his wages? Negligible at best. In addition, according to Lambert he did not spend his whole budget in the summer so we might not need to get Given's wages of the books anyway?

Quite simply you do not weaken your squad in our current position which could get worse after the next set of fixtures. Secure our Premiership status first and then if the manager wants to get rid of Given and Bent.

As he says. :thumb:

No. Given will not be sitting on the bench all season. He will get games in cup matches, keeping Guzan on his toes and from January until the end of the season, what would be the difference paying Given's wages and having to pay a transfer fee for another keeper plus his wages? Negligible at best. In addition, according to Lambert he did not spend his whole budget in the summer so we might not need to get Given's wages of the books anyway?

Quite simply you do not weaken your squad in our current position which could get worse after the next set of fixtures. Secure our Premiership status first and then sell Given and Bent at the end of the season when hopefully we have secured our Premiership status.

We don't play that many cup games and we're not in Europe. Barring some sort of meltdown from Guzan, Given will not be getting much playing time at all. You make the point about weakening the squad but his wages could be used on a player that would strengthen our squad in a weaker area, say midfield for example.

It's time as well though. When there's so many other areas of the squad to be strengthened, does Lambertwant him and his team spending time finding a decent number 2 keeper for the rest fo the season, at inflated January prices?

Or would they rather keep Given there until the summer and sort it out then.

We don't play that many cup games and we're not in Europe. Barring some sort of meltdown from Guzan, Given will not be getting much playing time at all. You make the point about weakening the squad but his wages could be used on a player that would strengthen our squad in a weaker area, say midfield for example.

So you'd weaken one position to improve another rather than just strengthen, particularly when in all probability we will be facing a very stiff relegation battle? Not logical at all and you have ignored the point that Lambert has already stated that he didn't spend all of his summer budget so that would suggest there is still money available when our wage bill has already been reduced.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try and get some more of our high wage earners off the wage bill. For example if a buyer can be found, both Warnock and Hutton should go as we have ample cover now to allow them to leave. I've also stated elsewhere that Delph and Fonz could also be sold. They are obviously not on the type of wages that could be deemed excessive, but again we do have ample cover in their positions to allow them to be sold and the reduction on our wage bill could then allow Lambert to collectively use those wages elsewhere.

Bottom line for me is that both Given and Bent are still far too important to be sold while we are under the threat of relegation. At season's end yes when we're hopefully safe and Lambert will have more time to intergrate their replacements into the team, but definitely not in January!

So you'd weaken one position to improve another rather than just strengthen, particularly when in all probability we will be facing a very stiff relegation battle? Not logical at all and you have ignored the point that Lambert has already stated that he didn't spend all of his summer budget so that would suggest there is still money available when our wage bill has already been reduced.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try and get some more of our high wage earners off the wage bill. For example if a buyer can be found, both Warnock and Hutton should go as we have ample cover now to allow them to leave. I've also stated elsewhere that Delph and Fonz could also be sold. They are obviously not on the type of wages that could be deemed excessive, but again we do have ample cover in their positions to allow them to be sold and the reduction on our wage bill could then allow Lambert to collectively use those wages elsewhere.

Bottom line for me is that both Given and Bent are still far too important to be sold while we are under the threat of relegation. At season's end yes when we're hopefully safe and Lambert will have more time to intergrate their replacements into the team, but definitely not in January!

I don't see selling Given as weakening the goalkeeper position a great deal, firstly because Guzan is our main goalkeeper and will play in all of our league games (bar injury or a massive drop in form, neither of which are likely) and secondly because Given hasn't been that good since the Euros now.

Ideally we'd be able to keep Given and bring in whatever we need but I'm not just going to assume that we can afford to do that. He's on massive wages after all.

Given is going nowhere. The length of his contract combined with the size of his wages will not be matched or even nearly matched by anyone. Basically we're stuck with him. He knows his playing days are coming to an end and I think he'd take a fairly pragmatic approach to the rest of his career. Sitting on a comfy bench for an absolute fortune probably sounds pretty good to him right now.

Ideally we'd be able to keep Given and bring in whatever we need but I'm not just going to assume that we can afford to do that. He's on massive wages after all.

We were able to spend 17m including resigning Guzan with Given already in the squad.

We were able to spend 17m including resigning Guzan with Given already in the squad.

Who says Lambert has the room on the wagebill to keep Given and bring in other players? Don't get me wrong I think he'll get a fair bit of money, especially if we're still struggling, but he won't get a blank cheque.

Given is going nowhere. The length of his contract combined with the size of his wages will not be matched or even nearly matched by anyone. Basically we're stuck with him. He knows his playing days are coming to an end and I think he'd take a fairly pragmatic approach to the rest of his career. Sitting on a comfy bench for an absolute fortune probably sounds pretty good to him right now.

I could actually see him going to America with Dunne but that would depend on the offer?

Who says Lambert has the room on the wagebill to keep Given and bring in other players? Don't get me wrong I think he'll get a fair bit of money, especially if we're still struggling, but he won't get a blank cheque.

I've just pointed that out to you. Lambert spent 17m plus resigning Guzan while Given was in our squad which would more than suggest that Given can still be accomodated on the wage bill.

I've just pointed that out to you. Lambert spent 17m plus resigning Guzan while Given was in our squad which would more than suggest that Given can still be accomodated on the wage bill.

And I'm saying that if we want to bring even more players in we may need to ship out some high earners. It's not out of the realms of possibility.