Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

We have more quality than Wigan on paper (just about) but they're far better mentally and they've also got a much better manager.

A much better manager eh? 

Incidently he was my first choice in the Mcleish summer. My dad absolutely raves about him. And for the last 6 months I have wondered why?

Wigan have shown no improvement since he has been there. 

I don't think Martinez is an amazing manager (although I do rate him). Wigan are a small club and it's a miracle that they're still in this division really. They may not improve but he's keeping them in the Premier League every season which is an achievement in itself. Under Lambert we've regressed, which is saying something after last season.

Why is it that we always sit deep when under a little bit of pressure, it never works and always ends up with us conceding. I understand after the horror 15-goal episode people don't want to be too gung-ho, but the least you have to do is pressure the opposition, and not give them all the time and space to do whatever they want to do in your half while you wait around in and around your box, it's suicide!

Expected nothing from today but thankful that we didn't get battered and can take a number of positives from that game as we held our own against a good side with a point to prove today.

In terms of other results given the choice I'd have rather a Wigan win than a Reading one and QPR lost. Norwich and Fulham both winning now takes them out of the relegation picture if they were ever really in it.

I think QPR are down and its 2 from 4 between Reading, Wigan, Southampton and us. Possibly even Sunderland. I think Newcastle will beat Southampton on Monday and that will be them out of it.

I have felt for a while that we will stay up and nothing has happened today to change that opinion.

• Like 1

We have more quality than Wigan on paper (just about) but they're far better mentally and they've also got a much better manager.

Incidently he was my first choice in the Mcleish summer. My dad absolutely raves about him. And for the last 6 months I have wondered why?

I don't think Martinez is an amazing manager (although I do rate him). Wigan are a small club and it's a miracle that they're still in this division really. They may not improve but he's keeping them in the Premier League every season which is an achievement in itself. Under Lambert we've regressed, which is saying something after last season.

Yep I thought pretty much that, then I realised that Steve Bruce kept them in the league in a much higher position.

As to saying we have regressed this season - I think its too early to call. We definately wont have made significant strides but there is still plenty of time to maintain the shiteness we endured under Mcleish. Its not too much to believe we will stay up by 2 points - With imo, a much shitter squad!.

Really disappointed Norwich and Fulham won, I'd have hoped at least one of those would get sucked into the scrap

Pressure is off for them for the moment at least. If they went on a really bad run then they could still be in a scrap but it's unlikely. I wouldn't rule out West Ham though, they seem to be out of form and are only 6 ahead of us...

strachan did the same for Coventry, would you have had him at the time?

Lambert is the right man for us, still.

Yeah I can see the argument there, but Martinez has done a really good job with Wigan and he seems to sell his best player ever season.

But how is Lambert still the right man? Surely this is based on more than gut feeling alone? He may talk a good game in private but actions speak louder than words.

Edited by Mantis

I did the BBC predictor the other day.

I had us drawing against Arsenal and Man City but still going down at the end of the season on goal difference to Wigan.

I can't see us getting out of it now unless we pull a few shock results out of the bag.

Agree.

The only possible glimmer, is that we look better going forward recently, as the situation gets more critical we may have no option but to go all out attack. It was a situation that saved wigan last season - the situation was so hopeless they just went for it.

Its a long shot, and I believe we are down - but theres a glimmer if you want one !

Yeah I can see the argument there, but Martinez has done a really good job with Wigan and he seems to sell his best player ever season.

But how is Lambert still the right man? Surely this is based on more than gut feeling alone? He may talk a good game in private but actions speak louder than words.

The daunting think about axing Lambert, is the clown that Lerner and Faulkner would pull out of the hat to manage us a a championship club. Whatever you think of Lambert - that prospect terrifies me more.

Why is it a long shot? We're in the RZ on goal difference...I'd say we're in with a fair shout of getting out of jail...if we were 7 points adrift I'd be saying it was a long shot

1 win 10 ........

Last clean sheet .....god knows ...reading was it ?

We are incapable of holding a lead.

Ok... key 6 pointers so far....QPR draw, Reading win, Wigan loss....mixed bag. We're just very unpredictable but with N'Zogbia and Gabby back the last few weeks we've performed better and actually challenged for victories...ok the results haven't come good and that is all that matters but I just feel our luck will turn.

Ok... key 6 pointers so far....QPR draw, Reading win, Wigan loss....mixed bag. We're just very unpredictable but with N'Zogbia and Gabby back the last few weeks we've performed better and actually challenged for victories...ok the results haven't come good and that is all that matters but I just feel our luck will turn.

Southampton and Newcastle losses too.

We were ok in the beginning but after the Chelsea result we've had 3 six pointers (at home as well) and lost them all, one of them 3-0.

strachan did the same for Coventry, would you have had him at the time?

Lambert is the right man for us, still.

Why?

He's turned a poor team into an awful one.  Presided over the Chelsea debacle & been out thought by Bradford over two legs.

His advice to Clark is to listen to Alan Hansen (pity he didn't think to mention it himself!) and has bought with the exception of Benteke & arguably Lowton players that are worse than the ones we had - Bennet's an insult to our intelligence.  A premiership defender!!!!!

Expected nothing from today but thankful that we didn't get battered and can take a number of positives from that game as we held our own against a good side with a point to prove today.

In terms of other results given the choice I'd have rather a Wigan win than a Reading one and QPR lost. Norwich and Fulham both winning now takes them out of the relegation picture if they were ever really in it.

I think QPR are down and its 2 from 4 between Reading, Wigan, Southampton and us. Possibly even Sunderland. I think Newcastle will beat Southampton on Monday and that will be them out of it.

I have felt for a while that we will stay up and nothing has happened today to change that opinion.

i agree with the thrust of this mark but I think it's two from three. QPR are gone and then for me it is us, reading or Wigan or the other two places

We are gonna lose to city and I am surprised so many took this defeat like this against arsenal.

If we can play like we have done then we should have no problem beating qpr and reading. It really is a shame that this season ended up like this....