Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Alex Meishs villa got one of their best results against Lamberts Norwich as their defence was so porous. It's a concern now lambert has weakened out defence and seemingly weakened our attack too. If we don't beat Wigan I really fear for our survival chances.

Everyone wants to support the club. Some do it through their season ticket and others who are unable to get to the games pay their cable subscription or go to the pub whenever our games are televised. One does not make a better supporter than the other and this is how we support our team.

That however should not get in the way of objective criticism. Fans have as much right to criticize as they do to support their team.

Bias can however infiltrate both critique and support and it is a fine line for both.

I criticize more than most because my patience is on the wane due to where we have been in the last two and a half seasons and have been accused of posting for effect. While i have never consciously posted for effect i may have sub consciously over stepped the line and shown bias towards my current position.

By the same token both posters you mention have shown bias towards their position even though the facts may suggest otherwise and consequently both sides of the debate have become frustrated at each other's blind faith if you will.

Whether that is good for the club or not is open to question but it is however part of being a fan of any club.

I think this is fair

In actuality, whatever we say on here makes no difference in the real world. We are on different sides of the argument but we all share a passion to see our side back at the top of the table.

I was very much against the McL appointment but gave him my support for the first half of the season, despite the dire football served up - when results faltered so did my support for him. I was as much a critic of McL at the end of the season than many are of Lambert now

Lambert was not my first choice but I did think he was a solid appointment. He is still a relatively young manager and will enevitably make mistakes. I felt that he inheirited an absolute shambles and has been given very limited resources to improve things.

I also personally believe that he is trying to manage with one-hand tied behind his back and it may well be that decisions about Cuellar, Bent, Warnock, Hutton, Ireland and Dunne were not his alone (I'm sure if true some will say that is his fault for accepting the role - a view I would understand)

Despite all the bollocks about comparisions etc if you look at the points return (I used a five match rolling average to identify trend easier) there are signs of a slow recovery. Other indicators are less favourable - I was appalled at our performances against Chelsea and Spurs.

It would be totally unacceptable to me if the second half of the season is no better than the first half. Our differences centre around expectation and on whether things are going to get better or not. My expectations for the first half of the season were very low and honestly we are performing better than I thought we would, my expectation for the second half of the season is that we will be a lot better

Bizarrely, I imagine that even you Morpheus hope that come the end of the season I was right and you were wrong

I'm off to a Christmas party now to drown the sorrows of the last few days

UTV

I just think there are those that are trying to get behind the manager and the team, and those that just aren't at the moment.

I fall under the first category. I can bet there are many others also falling under the first category.

Those like Mantis and VillaCas are doing this. Trying to get some support into the club, trying to stop all the negative talk because its not good for the club or the fans.

I've heard it all now.

I see some people have come out of hiding now we've lost a couple

Its only 2 games lads, nothing to see. If we win tomorrow we will be six points clear of the relegation zone with a run of matches ahead that doesnt look all that terrifying.

of course we might lose, and thats a different situation, but can we please accept that if we win this conversation is more or less dead?

This is the team that was fielded in our 19th game last season:

Bradley Guzan, Carlos Cuellar, James Collins, Richard Dunne, Stephen Warnock, Marc Albrighton, Stiliyan Petrov, Ciaran Clark, Charles N'Zogbia, Stephen Ireland, Gabriel Agbonlahor

And this is the team that was fielded in our 19th game this season:

Bradley Guzan, Matthew Lowton, Chris Herd, Ciaran Clark, Nathan Baker, Joe Bennett,

Ashley Westwood, Karim El Ahmadi, Fabian Delph, Brett Holman, Christian Benteke

Struggle as I try I am having difficulty seeing the progress. Are we a better/stronger team now than we were circa 12 months ago?

Edited by pacbuddies

Its only 2 games lads, nothing to see. If we win tomorrow we will be six points clear of the relegation zone with a run of matches ahead that doesnt look all that terrifying.

of course we might lose, and thats a different situation, but can we please accept that if we win this conversation is more or less dead?

You think being 6 points clear means we no longer have to worry?

I'm off to a party now BJ

Work on those statistics whilst I'm gone!

Happy Christmas & UTV

I don't need to work on anything. Anyone who isn't blind can see the facts for themselves.

Enjoy the party.

Who has come out of hiding now that we have lost a couple? I think you will find that those who post regularly on this forum (whatever side of the argument they take) have been here since the start of the season.

As for the conversation being dead if we beat Wigan, are you serious? We are too close to the relegation zone for comfort and it will take more than one win to alter that.

Edited by pacbuddies

I think people are overlooking the mounting injury crisis we have now. We could have done with a full strength team tomorrow for what is a Cup Final for us, instead we will be relying on mediocre players such as KEA, Herd, Albrighton & Lichaj. Thank god it's only Wigan or we could have been on for another trouncing.

Who has come out of hiding now that we have lost a couple? I think you will find that those who post regularly on this forum (whatever side of the argument they take) have been here since the start of the season.

As for the conversation being dead if we beat Wigan, are you serious? We are too close to the relegation zone for comfort and it will take more than one win to alter that.

Some people were very quiet when we were unbeaten and saw off Liverpool, those same people who were very quiet and now suddenly very vocal.

Funny that, Villa fans in loving a moan shocker.

• Like 1

Alex Meishs villa got one of their best results against Lamberts Norwich as their defence was so porous. It's a concern now lambert has weakened out defence and seemingly weakened our attack too. If we don't beat Wigan I really fear for our survival chances.

Alex McLeish's Villa also rolled over and got beat 2-0 comfortably by Lambert's Norwich, the latter finishing 9 points ahead of St Alex's Villa.

Some people were very quiet when we were unbeaten and saw off Liverpool, those same people who were very quiet and now suddenly very vocal.

Funny that, Villa fans in loving a moan shocker.

Well I wasn't one of them. Perhaps though some people could see beyond the scoreline at Anfield. We were outplayed and outclassed for large proportions of that game and if it wasn't for Liverpool's ineffectiveness in front of goal we could have been well beaten by half time. The signs were there even then that not all was right with our team.

I was ecstatic after anfield and made my feelings clear in here, I thought we had finally clicked as a unit. How wrong I was we've been woeful since then. Just hope lambert can get a win v Wigan with what is a poor injury ravaged team.

No but he should have had backups. We've been left short of experience and players in key areas. That is his responsibility.

We bought loads of players in the summer. We're absolutely ravaged by injuries. That isn't Lambert's fault.

Well I wasn't one of them. Perhaps though some people could see beyond the scoreline at Anfield. We were outplayed and outclassed for large proportions of that game and if it wasn't for Liverpool's ineffectiveness in front of goal we could have been well beaten by half time. The signs were there even then that not all was right with our team.

You really thought we were outclassed at Anfield?

I rest my case m'lord

We bought loads of players in the summer. We're absolutely ravaged by injuries. That isn't Lambert's fault.

Well some injuries occurred during training so playing devils advocate you could argue it is ;)

Edited by mikeyp102

Ravaged by injuries.

Excuses.

In all fairness BJ going in to tomorrows game then we do have a fair few injuries now. However Baker only got injured in the last game and Weimann a few days ago in training it seems. Bent was being frozen out anyway and pretty much the same for NZogbia. Dunne has been out since pre season. The biggest losses for me are Vlaar and Gabby and the sooner they are back the better.