General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

General, before the transfer window, Martin O'Neil repeatedly suggested we needed players to overcome the shortage in his squad.

If as you say, there is no problem financing transfers, as the squad strength has not increased at all, is the manager incompetent, as I refuse to believe he's a liar?

Secondly, the CEO's position is usually a very important one within any organisation, his departure, for whatever reason, increases the instability within the fabric of the management structure. Whilst I hear your comments , was the exit not rather sudden.

Did the board have anyone in mind as a replacement or was the notice given unexpected?

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General

Imo the transfer window was a HUGE disappointment for Villa fans. We all know the squad needed strengthening and we were unable to do so.

Can you tell me if the board will be carrying out a full review of our transfer window strategy and its effectiveness during January? I'm concerned that one man, MON, seems to have the responsibility of all aspects of our transfers on top of all his other day to day duties.

Bully, I think the General has stated once again and many times the transfer policy is within MON's hands, I think given his repsonse at 5AM US time it is disrespectful to ask him the same question but worded differently.

GEneral can I ask you about the New CEO.

The Eveninhg Mail reported that it was due to Michael Cunnah's appointment. you stated RF is a friend so I won;t ask you about that nor reword it.

But is it possible to give a remit of what the new CEO (I presume we will have) will do

General,

Thanks for the reply re: transfer policy. One further point I'd like to make is

7. As I have said many, many, times, I do not have anything to do with Players and the Transfer Window. What I would say is what I have said many, many, times: MON handles tranfers. He is our Manger. He knows what his Squad needs...for the present and the future. He knows what type of player he needs to play within his system and will mesh with the current players in a positive manner. He know how to evaluate players. He knows who is avaialble that fits this profile. He knows he has the support of Randy. He is trusted by Randy. He is trusted by the Board. There is no requirement to "sell before we buy." At the same time, he knows the value of a player and will not pay an exhorbitant amount of money for a player who he does not value at that price. At the same time, it is obvious from the money Randy and MON have already spent that they are not afraid to spend. Randy will support MON.

That I disagree with the bit put in bold. If he did, then he wouldn't have spent the transfer window looking at players who weren't available.

But thanks for the reply at such a early time!

General now we know exactly where we stand in terms of playing personel between now and the end of the season could you please pass on my best wishes, and I'm sure those of many Aston Villa fans, to Mon and the squad for the rest of the season and let them know that we are behind them in the final 14 games of what has already been a season of progress and one that could ultimately end with european qualifiction which would be a remarkable achievement given the state the club was in just 18 months ago.

General

Imo the transfer window was a HUGE disappointment for Villa fans. We all know the squad needed strengthening and we were unable to do so.

Can you tell me if the board will be carrying out a full review of our transfer window strategy and its effectiveness during January? I'm concerned that one man, MON, seems to have the responsibility of all aspects of our transfers on top of all his other day to day duties.

General,

A lot of fans share the same concerns. Especially when it is reported that MON has attended a work permit hearing on the last day of the transfer window. A job that would have been performed admirably by the likes of Steve Stride in the past.

I know this may seem a null point but who does what at Villa Park when it comes to adminsitration especially transfers? In the past we would have known that the work permit was a waste of time. Why not now?

Hello General, seems there is flexibility on genuine questions as long as it is criticising the Manager, so may I point out that those who claim to speak for"the majority" etc do no such thing.

MON has my 100% support (as that is the only type of support worth giving) and that of every fan I speak to outside of these boards.

People can ask whatever questions they like, as long as they are within the site guidelines. We don't censor any of them - The flexibility is universal. Blandy

Fuse not answering for the General here but regarding the work permit issue Sven Goran Erikson was interviewed earlier saying he went down to London yesterday to secure a work permit for the anticipated signing of Benjani so I don't think this is done exclusively by Mon and appears to happen at other clubs.

And a second question (sorry):

The deadline to apply for the Intertoto Cup place was on January 25th.

Have Villa applied in case they miss out on a UEFA Cup place?

Excellent point John. Man City have announced today that they have entered, can you let us know if we have entered please General?

Hi General

I PM'd you about this a couple of weeks ago but haven't had a response so perhaps you didn't receive it.

I'm currently writing an essay an strategic management at Aston Villa as an important piece of my uni coursework. I would love to have just a little input from yourself, a few quotes from a board member would be very helpful!

I'm especially interested in knowing a little more about the 5 year plan, who is responsible for what aspects of strategic planning, what skills or knowledge the various board members bring to the club, what you see as the main strategic issues currently facing the club and where certain initiatives undertaken so far (training ground, Holte Hotel, Nike partnership, ticket promotions) fit in with the wider plan.

I appreciate that some things need to be kept confidential and you may not be able to tell me everything I would like to know but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Now that we have decreased our hope of reaching Europe after a poor transfer window it might be in the best interest of the club for the board to go in and enter the Intertoto Cup?

Surely this is the best and safest way to do it? As a backup if (and when) injuries change our season

Now that we have decreased our hope of reaching Europe after a poor transfer window it might be in the best interest of the club for the board to go in and enter the Intertoto Cup?

Surely this is the best and safest way to do it? As a backup if (and when) injuries change our season

Apologies for answering for the General but on the BBC Sport is says this and suggests the deadline for the Intertoto Cup has passed. Also i believe it has repeatedly been said that O Neill and not the board would decide whether we enter the cup.

Manchester City have applied to enter this summer's Intertoto Cup.

The competition provides an alternative route into the Uefa Cup if Sven-Goran Eriksson's side do not win a place via their position in the Premier League.

Eriksson told his club's website: "The deadline for the Intertoto Cup was 25 January and we are in it. Hopefully we won't need to but it's a possibility."

9. From a personal standpoint, I do not think it would be wise for the Club to indicate the names of players we might be interested in obtaining. The quickest way to drive up a price is to set your sights on a player and announce it to the world.

Seems a largely academic, theoretical point, does it not?

This was a poor, poor window for us. Either a) sufficient funds are not available B) we're not prepared to pay the wages you have to pay to compete c) MON - who is a fantastic coach - is out of his depth when it comes to transfer-dealing (maybe he's too nice?), or d) our scouting network is not as strong as others'.

Only MON and Randy know what the issues are. This is not one window, General. The summer window was also a disappointment on many levels. Even by Martin's quotes, we are way off what we need in numbers and strength in depth and I'm sure a handful of our current players will leave in the summer making the task then even more challenging.

Please assure me and others that MON and Randy will review the situation like adults and admit where there are shortcomings? In my humble opinion, if MON won't have someone appointed to undertake his transfer dealings for him (players he has shortlisted), then he needs to consider appinting one himself.

I love MON and think he's a fantastic coach. However, we cannot ignore the obvious issues we have in recruitment just because we're scared he's going to take his ball home with him.

Mr Krulak

Every transfer window we hear the same old garbage from MON. The manager should identify the players he wants and the board should do whatever it takes to get them. The board need to take that responsibility off MON straight away whether he likes it or not because the way he deals with transfers isn't the done thing in modern football. We are so close to being a top six team and MON has gambled it all on the hope we don't get injuries. Apart from a bad one what kind of strategy is that? And please don't play lip-service by taking about how he must trust the players he has because that's just towing his line. Please tell me because I'd love to know would that be a successful business strategy for you? What exactly is happening to all the money you're gaining from increased attendances, is it really going back into building a great team because had the previous regime made a £3.75 million profit in the transfer window when fans were promised 'world class' footballers there would have been uproar. Have us long suffering fans now become cash cows to be taken for the ride?

Finally as if that isn't bad enough, you're offering yet more subsidised tickets to personnel in relatively well-paid jobs, despite the fact that many of us who earn nowhere near as much and who aren't entitled to a pension have to scrimp and save to watch our football team. What do you say to loyal fans like me who are thoroughly fed up of it? Your strategy sucks. It's **** the loyal fan who has to scrimp and save to see his football team and welcome in all those who have come for a cheap day out. How about taking care of the fans you already have Mr Krulak?

Sorry about the language of our freind 1982corp General,as for the clubs policy on special events its a mighty step forward from the old regeime.Lets not be distracted by the minority, MON is doing a great job regardless of what some mindless idiots think. The majority support and beleive.

Everybody keeps saying 'the vast majority of fans'...what exactly does this mean guys? I dont know one villa fan in favour of MON's transfer policy. None of my friends are happy with harewood, routledge and Knight...

The whole '99.9%' thins is wearing significantly thin. Its not the 99.9% nor is it the vast majority.

Ok we are 5th, but we are overachieving and yet another chance to break into the top 4 has been wasted. I like what you and randy have done for the club but our transfer regime is pathetic. You see teams like spurs signing players...and dont give me bollocks about them being 11th and us 6th because they are in a cup final, and the uefa cup and will almost definately finish above us next year.

Also, Mr Krulak, dont listen to fans arguing against offering tickets prices on the cheap for certain professions. Ok, some people may have to 'save' to watch the villa but i agree that this is a good way of getting and targeting new fans. That is excellent i think personally....but transfers.....shocking.

You keep saying trust MON. General, not a lot of people do.

i trust MO'N, i trust the board and I also trust the fans nowadays to get behind the team when we went a goal down-never used to happen in times gone by. only thing i don't trust is ability to beat the traffic on way home from games-not much anyone can do on that though

General I think the fact that thousands of people chant Mons name at every game, home and away, will back up the fact that most fans trust Mon and are right behind him. It is a privelage to have him, Randy, yourself and all the other people behind the scenes at the club who are breeaking there balls to to put this great club back where it belongs.