General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

General Krulak here:

1. Three Block War, Elements of National Power, Strategic Corporal....you all have too much time on your hands!!

2. Toilets, Bar and walkways in Witton Lane Stand: We ABSOLUTELY recognize we have a problem...in ALL stands. That problems will only get bigger as more fans come to games. Randy is committed to doing something about this issue but, since it is infrastructure, it will take some time. It will get better.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General,

Do you know what, if any, arrangements are in place for the kit launch? i.e. where it will take place? If a location has not been decided upon, can I suggest the newly refurbished Birmingham Town Hall, as it would tie in nicely with the whole 'Proud History - Bright Future' thing. I think we should take every opportunity to position ourselves as THE Birmingham club, especially in light of recent comments from our friends down the road.

BTW saw a book advertised yesterday and thought of you - it was a history of amphibious assaults. I'll PM you the details if you like.

General Krulak here:

1. Three Block War, Elements of National Power, Strategic Corporal....you all have too much time on your hands!!

Just waiting for a transfer into the club. :winkold:

Just wait the see this messageboard expload when that happens. :D Unless it is Titus Bramble then keep your head down General. :o:twisted:

As for my question, Sir, do you have any update yet on the issues which were raised at the last Supporters Consultation Group meeting in April?

General, I knw you won;t comment on this as any comment will be taken by the Mail and wil be written up negatively but this is about the Blooz ...

heir story yesterday where David Gold mae comments towards us shows exactly what a small club they are.

I do not want Villa to be trying to have a closer relationship with them, I want us to ignore them as an irrelevance

I would love to know your thoughts on them trying to have a new staduim built by council tax payers whereas we have to build ours with the clubs and Randy's money

Also can I ask if theclub has spoken to Carl Chin as somekind of ambassdor for the club as he speaks with passion about the Villa and as you might know is the most down to earth person you could meet.

Dear General

I've sent a PM regarding this but thought I'd post on here to give others a chance for some input. We have already approached the German band to ask permission to use the song and another member was helping get a recording made, but I think everyone was a bit nervous of imposing something on the fans. However everyone is still trying to come up with a song and so I thought I'd mention it again!

I have tonight posted on the Complete and Utter Chants thread a suggestion for a song that might be adopted at Villa Park that a few members suggested about 9 months ago.

I emailed Phil Mepham last year before the takeover and I know alot of people liked the song. It was posted on alot of the message boards. I really would be grateful if you would listen to the Mp3 link for a minute and imagine Villa Park clapping and singing to the following words. I'm sure if Randy or other's listened to the song they would agree it might be worth persuing.

Rgds Julie

Here is the Mp3 link which plays on my AOL browser with ease -

CLICK

Here are the words we came up with:-

Here's the words:- VIVA ASTON VILLA

Chanting at beginning: (OPTIONAL)

Let’s ALL sing!!...Giving the Boys a CHEER

Let’s ALL sing!!.. “Give US another BEER!!!â€

Let’s ALL sing!!... Villains & we’re PROUD

Let’s ALL sing!!... One & All ALOUD

CHORUS:

Here’s to a THRI-LLA, VIVA ASTON VI-LLA!

Lions ROAR! They’ll SCORE!

Then you’ll be out the DOOR

So come on boys in CLARET & BLUE

We’ll sing our song for YOU…

VERSE: (OPTIONAL)

In Rotterdam in 82 Champions we BECAME

With Martin O'Neill & Randy too again that is our AIM

Singing our song LOUD & CLEAR, cos Villa’s on the UP

So get us a goal, we’re here to score, to win….

For the league & the CUP

Also can I ask if theclub has spoken to Carl Chin as somekind of ambassdor for the club as he speaks with passion about the Villa and as you might know is the most down to earth person you could meet.

General, if we are to have an ambassador, which i don't think we do we could do a lot worse then approach someone like Simon Inglis. Has he been consulted about the museum?

General Krulak here:\

1. I am asking Phil Mepham to sort the song issue....at least see what we can do.

2. I confess I am a wee bit confused about the "Club Ambassador" role. We don't have such a person in the US for our major sports teams...normally the person who speaks with "passion" about the Club is the Manager or the CEO or the Public Affairs person. In the US, there does not seem to be a need for someone "outside" the Club to talk with passion about the Club...or to hire someone especially to carry out that role. I am not sure I understand why we would want someone outside the Club to become a passionate spokesman for our Club...why wouldn't we seek someone who sits "inside" the Club to fulfill that requirement? Does a former player or a "historian" have any more stake in pushing our Club forward than someone who is with the Club and lives/breaths the Club every day? Help me on this one...it just seems to me that we have people who are very capable of handling this role. Richard attends multiple functions every month as the "Ambassador"...I have attended many functions. I am not sure what is "broken."

2. I confess I am a wee bit confused about the "Club Ambassador" role. We don't have such a person in the US for our major sports teams...normally the person who speaks with "passion" about the Club is the Manager or the CEO or the Public Affairs person. In the US, there does not seem to be a need for someone "outside" the Club to talk with passion about the Club...or to hire someone especially to carry out that role. I am not sure I understand why we would want someone outside the Club to become a passionate spokesman for our Club...why wouldn't we seek someone who sits "inside" the Club to fulfill that requirement? Does a former player or a "historian" have any more stake in pushing our Club forward than someone who is with the Club and lives/breaths the Club every day? Help me on this one...it just seems to me that we have people who are very capable of handling this role. Richard attends multiple functions every month as the "Ambassador"...I have attended many functions. I am not sure what is "broken."

I think people have an affinity with somebody like Carl Chin, for example, precisely because he's from "outside" the club. He's from Birmingham, a local lad and a huge fan of Aston Villa. In an ambassador role he would represent every aspect - A Brummie, a Villa fan and a passionate supporter and defender of both. He's one of us fans but with much more of a public face and, I suppose, from a third party perspective he'd have more credibility perhaps speaking about the club as a fan as opposed to a member of staff talking the "company line".

that is spot on JG, it is not a criticsm of the current management General but more a supplement to them.

As JG said carl is a fantastic advocate for Villa in the national media and we should be using in this role, not paid but purely as a fan.

Other clubs easily get their favourites on TV we struggle

General Krulak here:

JulieB and Fergie 69 pose the dilemma! One loves the song...one will rip my lips off if it is chosen as the anthem!!! It's called "betwix a rock and a hard place"...and no one is shooting at me!! Does it make any sense that the fans just choose what they want to sing...and sing. Give us the toons and we play a few of them? Trying to come up with one anthem seems to be something that is too close to the "impossible".

Got it on the Ambassador...but what would be the specific role????

A comment for General Krulak on the ambassador thing - I can understand why people raise the point, but tbh if the "ambassador" is not part of the actual club, then she or he is surely "just" a fan with a good profile or renown. We have those already. If this person became "official" then they are no longer an independent commentator /public cheerleader, but part of the club structure. I think we have one of those already.....

At best a suggestion would be to communicate well with "notable" supporters in the public eye, so that when/if they, through their enthusiasm for the club, start talking about the club (on the radio say), they are up to date with the situation and circumatances and can tell it straight.

I have to say, though, that an additional comment would be that the direct communication with fans sits easier and better to my mind than selecting "celebrity" fans and giving them extra attention/information - if high profile people are "real" fans, then they'll pick up the latest info and so on, and if they're not "real fans" then are they who the club would want as "ambassadors"?

The club has perhaps been used before by people who associate themselves with it for their own ends, rather than because they are genuine claret and blue.

Ambassador. My tuppence worth, if only to offer some balance.

The club is full of ambassadors. There are a lot of dedicated people working for the club, who take their jobs seriously and work with pride. In fairness, many of them presented themselves in this way before the present regime took over.

What we have seen since the takeover is this culture fine tuned and adopted throughout the club, from the bottom to the very top. Indeed, by taking the time to post to this and other message boards, General K could be described as the perfect Ambassador.

Should Mr Lerner ever give an interview of any length, I would like it to be conducted by Carl Chinn, as I believe that the most prominent local historian is the perfect person to host a man who has so much respect for the history of our club, its surrounding area, and all of its people, employees and supporters alike.

But a specific 'Ambassador' role is not something that is required in my opinion.

General Krulak here:

JulieB and Fergie 69 pose the dilemma! One loves the song...one will rip my lips off if it is chosen as the anthem!!! It's called "betwix a rock and a hard place"...and no one is shooting at me!! Does it make any sense that the fans just choose what they want to sing...and sing. Give us the toons and we play a few of them? Trying to come up with one anthem seems to be something that is too close to the "impossible".

Well that's the problem General and nobody would want to impose something on the fans if they really didn't like it. I have to say alot of fans do like the VIVA thing. We posted it on alot of message boards not just Villa Talk and most feedback was positive. The thing is those who just won't sing can just clap and TBH it would be mainly the chorus that would catch on and be sung. Viva Colonia was sung at the last world cup in Germany in Cologne and the fans who heard it said it sounded great and that was where the idea came from.

Its like the new logo some liked it some vehemently didn't and maybe still don't!! but at the end of the day it was felt that something should be done to move things forward. The fans have been asking for a Villa song for a long time now.. Liverpool have YNWA... Mancs Ka SARA etc West Ham....Blowing Bubbles...etc Alot don't like the usual anti Blues songs down VP

If the club don't want to try and put VIVA forward as a club song to get the fans going then would it be possible to commission someone to write a song or adopt a tune and re write some words. Nigel Kennedy is a mad Villa fan and there are a few others in the music world who are very talented.

But if nothing is sorted then I can assure you it will be same old S*** on the City for another season and fans moaning that we haven't got any updated decent songs!

My thought on the ambassador.

An ambassador is someone who is proud to be claret and blue, someone in the media spotlight who can sing our praises both t home and abroad. Someone who is in a position to get more high profile people to look at the club , come along, maybe put something in themselves. Someone who is a lot more powerful than just a fan, but someone who the fan can relate to as "one of us"

This is just a thought here - but I believe we already have one - some people may have heard of him before - his name is General Krulak !!!!

And on this anthem thing - you can't just sing a song and it become an "anthem" , an anthem is something that MEANS something to the club "you'll never walk alone, blowing bubbles, wipe that snot off the end of your nose etc...."

If we are to have an anthem, it has gotta be in our history !!, don't ask me what exactly but the most obvious to me (and one that has sadly disappeared over the past 10 yrs) is "The bells are ringing" - I am 36 and from the age of 6 - 30 that song only meant one thing - Villa (and ask any bluenose and they will say the same).

Gen, any estimate on season ticket sales yet ? - it must be coming up to the end of the renewal dates soon !

Ambassador. My tuppence worth, if only to offer some balance.

The club is full of ambassadors. There are a lot of dedicated people working for the club, who take their jobs seriously and work with pride. In fairness, many of them presented themselves in this way before the present regime took over.

But a specific 'Ambassador' role is not something that is required in my opinion.

Amen to that...

In my opinion, appointing someone in this capacity would be "overkill". The new board are doing many of the things we craved from their predecessors.

- Communicating regularly with the supporters and accepting and reacting to criticism.

- Conducting regular and structured consultation with supporters groups and websites through the SCG.

- Acknowledging and celebration the great history and traditions of the club, not attempting to sweep any of it under the carpet.

General, you're right to be confused about the need for an Ambassador. I honestly can't think of another club with such a role. The way things are going at the minute far exceed my wildest dreams for the first 9 months of new ownership.

I appreciate beyond words the time and effort you put into communicating with us through this medium, but I've noticed a lot of the questions being posed to you are repeats or rehases of questions from before and I'm worried that this will dilute the value you get from being here. Do you see your presence on this and other websites as a permanent thing, or will you wind down your communications once the "transitional" period is over?

General Krulak here:

1. Re. the potential for another Cold War: I do not think that is a real possibility...NOT because of our brilliant foreign policy but because Russia cannot "walk the dog back" and the US cannot afford for it to happen. There will be huge rhetoric but little else.

2. I will be on the sites until they pack me up and ship me out.