Congratulations Arsenal de Sarandí

GarethRDR

Not sure how much interest people have in dirty Argie football, but Arsenal de Sarandí secured the club's first ever top-flight league win in the Clausura yesterday with a

El Arse's only other major honour to date was their shock 2007 Copa Sudamericana win.

24062012_principal.jpg

Probably, though Boca have only themselves to blame; 1 point from the last 3 games of the season including being spanked at home by Arsenal. Going into the last game of the season, Club Atlético Tigre were in the absolutely bonkers position of being in contention for both the title and relegation. ScratchHead.gif

Your position in the league is your position in the league, but the bottom teams dont always go down. The teams who are relegated are the teams who have the lowest average position over the previous three seasons (a bit like UEFA coefficients, only in reverse) and this system was introduced to stop Boca and River Plate getting relegated during the occasional poor season they had. This backfired spectacularly when River Plate got relegated last year. After they got relegated the Argentina FA considered abolishing the second division and having a huge first division just so River would still be able to play top flight football.

If you think people are biased towards the most popular clubs in this country you clearly havent seen the shit they pull down there. I cant take it seriously at all.

When was the last time an English club won the title for the first time?

Nottingham Forest in 1977/78. Before that it was Derby County in 1971/72. I guess the next club to win it for the first time will be the next club who hires Brian Clough, so dont hold your breath.

When was the last time an English club won the title for the first time?

And when will it happen again?

Nottingham Forest 1977/78 and before that, Derby County 1971/72. The manager on both occasions? One Brian Clough.

Congratulations to Jorge Ortiz, Swedish and Argentinian champ! Shame Ivan Obolo made a move to Vélez Sársfield and missed the title.

I dont know much about club level football outside of Europe, but I am lead to beleive by people that do that the Argentine Championship is the best in South America. Higher quality of football and less corrupt then Brazil. But from what The_Rev said, it sounds like it is a bit of a joke.

I can't vouch for the level of the football but that has no bearing on how protected the top sides are. And that doesn't even prove corruption. It just means their FA wants to protect their profitable assets (by not relegating them). They just do it more transparently. And it doesn't always work :)

brazil would be best league in South America. have finances now and can keep their stars a bit longer. 5 years ago Ganso and Neymar would be in Europe and flopping

Not sure thats true, look at Ronaldinho he came over to PSG and was a huge success..So who knows, they might have come over and Flopped or they may have been a success..

Yeah but he's right. The point is they would have come over. The fact the stars are still in the Brazilian league makes the Brazilian league that bit better than it would otherwise be. But I don't know how it rates against the Argentinian league in terms of overall quality.

Â