E3 2012

villa4europe

Ha, oh dear at the those new IPs. The first one looked awful, the Twisted Pixel thing was absurd even from a CGI promo, and the Gore Verbinski thing looked like knock off Portal.

And now Resi 6. And Capcom made the poor decision of sending guys who can barely speak English. Still doesn't excite me.

Where are you watching it?

GiantBomb have a live stream.

South Park game... yawn.

And Harmonix increasingly flog a just about living horse, with Dance Central 3. Sigh.

Where are you watching it?

GiantBomb have a live stream.

South Park game... yawn.

And Harmonix increasingly flog a just about living horse, with Dance Central 3. Sigh.

Cheers mate.

What's with these dance games, do they sell well? I don't know anyone who does has it.

Cheers mate.

What's with these dance games, do they sell well? I don't know anyone who does has it.

My experience of working at Gamestation tells me that Dance Central was one of the more popular Kinect titles, and it's always reviewed well. They tend to push it at E3 because it also represents the 'girly' market, if you put your cynical hat on.

Black Ops 2 to round it out. Usually the final thing of the show is a blow your socks off (or they expect to blow your socks off) teaser. This is just, well... COD, again. We already know Blops 2 is coming, they showed it a couple of months ago.

Cheers mate.

My experience of working at Gamestation tells me that Dance Central was one of the more popular Kinect titles, and it's always reviewed well. They tend to push it at E3 because it also represents the 'girly' market, if you put your cynical hat on.

Yeah I suppose it probably does quite well with users who buy games for with their family in mind.

The Microsoft conference was always going to be shit but good grief they managed to somehow make it so bland it was almost worse their now familiar 'Hey, Kinect is great!' and 'Media content is GREAT!'.

There was nothing there that I could say looked exciting or new.

And there was so much focus on Kinect (in most cases using it for voice stuff... why does it require a Kinect to do that, might I ask?) and media... I just don't care. I don't use my Xbox to rent films, I can't, really, use my Xbox to view all this sports and TV content they've got. I occasionally use the Youtube app (and since my Gold expired, I don't use that either) and the iPlayer is better done elsewhere. And the whole thing is such a mess to navigate and use now, I'm not encouraged to start using my Xbox like that... so I don't care about all this media shit. And seemingly neither does the rest of the core Xbox community of gamers.

Microsoft's showings just get worse and worse. The highlight was the South Park guys coming on and acting like real people, and taking the piss out of all this interactive devices bollocks.

Even the Smart Glass stuff... I mean, I can now use my phone to get details on the movie I wouldn't be streaming over Live, cool. I can do that anyway, because my phone has wifi!? And access to IMDB? But because I'm watching a film anyway, I wouldn't be looking up all the behind the scenes stuff in the first place....

Microsoft'll be coming dead last this year, again.

The Microsoft conference was always going to be shit but good grief they managed to somehow make it so bland it was almost worse their now familiar 'Hey, Kinect is great!' and 'Media content is GREAT!'.

There was nothing there that I could say looked exciting or new.

And there was so much focus on Kinect (in most cases using it for voice stuff... why does it require a Kinect to do that, might I ask?) and media... I just don't care. I don't use my Xbox to rent films, I can't, really, use my Xbox to view all this sports and TV content they've got. I occasionally use the Youtube app (and since my Gold expired, I don't use that either) and the iPlayer is better done elsewhere. And the whole thing is such a mess to navigate and use now, I'm not encouraged to start using my Xbox like that... so I don't care about all this media shit. And seemingly neither does the rest of the core Xbox community of gamers.

Microsoft's showings just get worse and worse. The highlight was the South Park guys coming on and acting like real people, and taking the piss out of all this interactive devices bollocks.

Even the Smart Glass stuff... I mean, I can now use my phone to get details on the movie I wouldn't be streaming over Live, cool. I can do that anyway, because my phone has wifi!? And access to IMDB? But because I'm watching a film anyway, I wouldn't be looking up all the behind the scenes stuff in the first place....

Microsoft'll be coming dead last this year, again.

Spot on my good man, the only thing I enjoyed was Halo 4 and South Park. That was it. Rest was utter utter garbage and it all went in the opposite direction of how I want this great hobby of ours to go :(

Thing is, I think it would be risky for a new Franchise to start on this current platform. I think consoles have been pushed as far as they can go in terms of gaming. If I were developing a new game i'd rather it come out early in the next gen, rather than late in this gen.

I dunno... the next Xbox is still possibly up to 18 months away, you could get out something new, if you'd been working on it already for a while, before the 360 goes on the back burner and I don't think it'd be the worst thing to do, franchises have survived over generations before now.

But it just seems like Microsoft has no... innovation or imagination. They've got their core franchises and they do nothing with them besides put out new ones. Admittedly it doesn't help that I'm not too bothered about those franchises - I don't like Gears much, Halo does little for me. I like Forza, and it actually looks like they might do something new with that, but even that has question marks over it since they've not actually shown any gameplay yet.

It doesn't help, of course, that this generation has been so long. Companies will take bigger punts on new platforms. But Microsoft just don't seem to care about their games any more. They've got their studios and say 'We need a new Gears, go', while they spend all their time pissing about with Kinect (which I'm yet to encounter a single soul who gives a shit about it) and media content deals, which are meaningless to the UK market. Microsoft is obsessed with making the 360 an all in one set top box, and sod the core use it has.

It's not a surprise that Microsoft's conference was poor again, it basically turned out exactly as I said it would on the first page, and besides Smart Glass anyone could have guessed that keynote's layout 6 months ago. I guess the upside is next year will certainly see them push something new at us, a new console.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Sony will be bringing to the table for the Vita. I think the Sony conference is on around 2am UK time though, so doubt I will stay up for that...

One of if not THE worst e3 press conferences ever

The problem we have at the moment is the console cycle has gone on too long. I think everybody wanted new hardware this year at the latest, we will now get it next Xmas at the earliest. Basically all this means is almost all new games are a sequel too far and nobody gives a shit.

Â