No Longer Interested: (Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - Molde FK)

VillaGoMarching

Again can't believe the hype over ogs, it must be the name. I mean if it was an unknown Norwegian in charge of a small Norwegian club who had just won their league and who had been a manager for less than two years, how excited would you be then?

And if my Aunt had a pair of balls, etc.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again can't believe the hype over ogs, it must be the name. I mean if it was an unknown Norwegian in charge of a small Norwegian club who had just won their league and who had been a manager for less than two years, how excited would you be then?

But he is'nt unknown though is he.

Apparently some Norwegian footballer has tweeted that the Molde players have been told tomorrow will be his last game in charge.

Jesper Mathisen who plays for Start in the Norwegian league has just tweeted:

(translated)

And as of this writing is Molde players informed that OGS leads his last game as Molde boss tomorrow against Sandnes Ulf. # Villa Villa

:winkold:

Wish they would hurry up with this press conference, I've got a **** load of work to be getting on with!

You mean a player that had not played for Man Utd over ten years, picking up tips from Fergie all this time, before becoming reserve manager instantly after his retirement?

Yeah, basically the same as managing a mid-table side in Norway after finish your trainer's course.

I know he's not. But it shouldn't just be about the name . Some unknown Norwegian who had achieved what he has, and of similar qualifications, ask yourself how you would feel then. The name should be irrelevant, it was for Mcleish

Yes, but the reason he is a big name is because he spent the best part of 15 years at the most successful, best run Club in the Premier League.

An unknown Norwegian would be exactly that - unknown - because he doesn't have League Winners medals, FA Cup winners medals or League Cup Winners medals, and he probably wouldn't have scored the winning goal in a Champions League final. The reasons that make Solskjaer a big name are all rooted in his vast experience of our league and working under and alongside the best in the business.

It's called pedigree - and its the kind that an unknown from any of Europe's peripheral leagues would not have. He wouldn't have played at the highest level, he wouldn't have studied under the greatest manager of all time and he wouldn't have coached one of the best groups of young players in this country whilst learning his trade.

So in this respect, yes, you're right - if it was a complete unknown that had just won the Norwegian league, nobody would be excited. It's because Solskjaer has so much more going for him that has created such a buzz.

Do you want Ince or Bruce or Mclaren ? They all have the same "pedigree"

No they don't.

Yes, Ince and Bruce played under Ferguson and won medals. However, they were not afforded the opportunity to play virtually all of their careers there and did not achieve nearly as much as Solskjaer did. They were also not invited to take charge of Utd's reserves - Solskjaer was.

Solskjaer played until his retirement at Old Trafford and was given the job with the development of Utd's young players because he was held in higher regard by Ferguson who had always lauded his analytical ability to read the game - an ability that so far seems readily apparent in his short managerial career.

As for McLaren - well, c'mon. Be serious. He spent all of three years as Ferguson's no. 2, a position the Utd manager has regularly changed throughout his tenure. And his record elsewhere speaks for itself.

I'm not saying this is a slam-dunk. Of course there is an element of risk. But it would represent a calculated risk based on the highest credentials anyone of his standing could realistically have achieved under the age of 40. There is absolutely no basis with which to invoke names like Bruce, Ince or McLaren in comparison - certainly not before he has even had a chance to get to work.

I know he's not. But it shouldn't just be about the name . Some unknown Norwegian who had achieved what he has, and of similar qualifications, ask yourself how you would feel then. The name should be irrelevant, it was for Mcleish

Anyone who's achieved that wouldn't be unknown though Richard. It's a completely moot point.

The guy on the left is Tarje Nordstrand Jacobsen - ceo of Molde. The man in the middle is Øystein Neerland - also Molde official.

He just said that OGS still is under contract with Molde.

Reporting live from the OGS PC :D :

- Several meetings with players and executives earlier today.

- No offer from Villa.

- Informs that he will stay on as Molde manager (for how long though?)

So there you have it. Nothing we didn't already know then.

Richard - bollocks - he is NOT unknown, he is NOT inexperienced in the Prem or in English football.

Ask yourself if it was Lauresen or Mellberg with NO managing experience in England what would you say then?

Are you struggling with the way the world works? He is OGS, the guy from Man U - of course that makes an impact on the hype. It's been said, I think most people are aware this is a risk, but at least it is an exciting risk regarding someone with an attacking football philosophy and not a shit risk like they got involved in by hiring McLeish.

Chill out?