Elder Scrolls Online

Ingram85

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the heads up...I'll def wait til they drop the sub fee and work out the bugs...and get it at discount.

Edited by maqroll

• 1 month later...

Been playing the beta for a few hours today and just thought I'd give my thoughts so far.

Firstly, I'm a little surprised at how they've created that Elder Scrolls feeling, the characters, items and colour palette all look and feel like an elder scrolls game; they've pulled it off quite well. Unfortunately though, graphically, the starting areas (so far) are dull and pretty sparse. Weather effects, water, trees etc look very average, the game does look about 4-5 years old. 

Game play wise, it's actually okay. Just created a stealthy archer type, something simple and i must admit i'm having fun with it. The talent speccing seems very varied and gives players a decent amount of choice, some interesting abilities that sync with each other. Skill points can be distributed not only by increasing magic, hp and stam but type of weapon, type of armour, profession, racial abilities, so lots of choice. Also, playing the game in first person, it does actually feel like an Elder Scrolls game. Some FOV issues, it's way too narrow, but i'm sure they'll tweak that.

There's also an interesting spin on questing, although you predominantly follow a main quest, getting out into the world causes you to bump into random events, random quest givers, of which you often decide the outcome of the quest through dialect choice, which is quite a nice touch. So far it seems very, very single player orientated, i'm not sure if that'll change later down the line, I guess it will as the game's interface really pushes guild recruitment and grouping. Looking at the world map, it looks absolutely huge.

So yeah, initial opinions are that it's not as disastrous as I was expecting but of course, it's nothing particularly fresh or ground breaking, as was expected. They'll have some work on their hands to keep a steady amount of subs with a monthly fee, but who knows. If they can deliver with consistent top quality content, it might be okay. I'll play some more tonight and give more of an opinion. 

Edit: I just heard John Cleese's voice acting :D

Edited by nobler

I chose the wood elf because they have the bow bonuses, I think. They're on the dominion faction. The factions are a little confusing at the moment but the war campaigns vs other factions seem quite interesting. 

So yeah, gave it another few hours last night, advanced to a larger, more open area of the world. I was possibly a bit harsh saying that the game looks 4-5 years old, it actually looks really, really nice in certain areas.

e710d2.jpg

Runs at pretty much 100fps constantly too, so performance-wise it's pretty good. It's difficult analysing it because at the end of the day it's just another generic MMO and because of this it'll probably score negatively across the board but just taking the game for what it is and finding the positives rather than the negatives it's actually a good game. It's massively story driven, and so far the stories have kept my attention, some really nice links to Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. The dialect is possibly lacking in a bit of humour and personality but every single quest I've encountered has voice acted dialect, must be hundreds and hundreds of hours of it.

I think the biggest stand out part of the gameplay is the real time combat; i.e you have to dodge, block, parry yourself - the same way you would playing an Elder Scrolls single player game. It works well, I encountered my first questing boss type character and had to use a bit of skill to dodge attacks, manage my health and stamina and after a five minute scrap it felt pretty satisfying to beat him. 

qq2w6a.jpg

I'm considering whether or not to give it a go on launch now; the problem I have though is that I sort of don't feel like paying a monthly fee for it, I'm not sure it offers quite enough to get really deep into it but I would really like to experience the 24 man dungeons, all with real time combat. I think if they did the Guild Wars 2 - flat price for game and free to play model i'd just get it, but with Dark Souls 2 on the horizon and Warlords of Draenor coming this year, I'm not sure it'll be worth it. All my opinion of course but if you're looking for an mmo to pass some free time and like the Elder Scrolls series, it might interest you. I've definitely changed my tune since it was first announced, mainly because I can understand why it exists now, rather than it being just a simple cash in on Skyrim and don't think it will tarnish the series name. 

2reto2w.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Anyone getting this tomorrow? Gonna pick it up on ps4. Can't wait.

I've purposely held off from all the average reviews it got when it launched on pc, coupled with the fact it got delayed by what 18 months?

I'm not really ready to put time into another game where if you don't play all the time you get left behind. Fell into that trap with Destiny, enjoying witcher way to much as well

• 2 years later...
Â