Selling car on ebay

villarule123

Been passed down a better car from the old man, so I have put my car up on ebay..

Put the starting bid at £300 (Peugeot 206 2000) and have 23 watchers but 2 people have messaged asking me if I would sell early as a buy it now which sounds a bit fishy, but they both have good feedback.

I put in the description that a deposit of £30 has to be made via paypal to stop time wasters, any advice to stop someone mugging me off?

What price are the people offering who want you to sell it early?

I have no experience of selling cars on ebay (or selling much on ebay for that matter) but I'd say unless those asking for you to sell it early are offering considerably more than your starting bid, then leave it up.

Best case scenario, people actually start bidding and you get more for it than those asking to buy it now.

Worst case, it doesn't sell and you're left (more or less) no worse off than you were before.

I'd imagine the guys messaging you are just trying to get it on the cheap.

I found that most times people who want to buy early also want the bargain of the century and the best way is to let it run to the end. Most of the bids will be in the last ten seconds so you won't know the best price til it ends.

On the other hand, people can win and not pay, whereas an early sale is a sale. I'd suggest they come round and view the car and if they like it they can make an offer. If you get one that's OK, do a cash deal and pull the listing. Basically just like we ever did selling a car with an ad in the paper.

Yep, as saturdaygigsays, theyre trying to get it on the cheap. I've sold loads on eBay including a couple of cars. It really does bring out all the tossers unfortunately.If you start something off at say £100 but in your mind you want about a grand, the vultures think they can offer you £150 to end it early.

There is no harm in playing the game. Respond with the figure you want and tell them that you won't end it early unless you have received a deposit.

Im selling a car on ebay currently as a Classified Ad, seems to work well as had a few offers, but none at home much I want (although getting closer).

Funnily enough Im after a 1 litre 206 for the Mrs for when she passes her test as I don't fancy insuring her on the new car I have coming at the end of the month.

Dismantle the car, component by component and sell them all individually on e-bay, you'll make heaps more money

Yes, I tried that before Ebay, I'm sure it's much easier now. It helps if you have somewhere to store the parts before they sell. I was keeping the exhaust system and other things in the one room we occupied. It put a certain...pressure...on the relationship.

My only experience of trying to sell a car on ebay was not good.

I had an A4 Avant that I'd agreed a part-ex value of £8500 with a dealer; it's private sale value was around £9000 to £9500. After thinking I'd got a month before I needed to sell it for as much as I could get, I was then out of the UK for over 2 weeks, leaving me just 10 days when I returned - do'h!

I put in on ebay for a week at £8500, knowing I had that value guaranteed by the dealer as back up. I quickly got two messages from 2 different ebay members - both claiming that they wanted the car and would pay "at least £9000" - when they had seen it. Unfortunately they each had a BS story detailing why they couldn't get to the car before the auction ended. Guy number 1 said he was finishing his roster on a North Sea oil rig. Guy number 2 said his wife was heavily pregnant and he wouldn't travel up from Brighton in case he missed the birth. :suspect: WTF?

The auction gained 50 watchers but no bids, so the following week I drove the car to the dealers. I'd lost a potential £500+ but it was far more convenient to drop my old car off and leave with another.

my other half is selling her mini convertable 08 reg, she wanted 8500 and wanted to do it on ebay but as she hadnt sold on ebay before I was advised by a mate not to as unless you knew what you were doing you were going to be messed around.

Just got off the phone to a mate of mine who just sold his A4 on eBay, he got nothing but hassle and agro off idiots and chancers the whole time it was listed (and then after too).

Â