The star above the badge debate (Poll added)

villa89

Should we have a star to commemorate the European Cup win?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a star to commemorate the European Cup win?

• Yes
    • No

Rangers won the Cup inners Cup in 72, but it introduces another aspect, the star is arbitrary especially since the European cup became not just for the league winners.

There is no rule or recognised etiquette.

OK so we can have a star for European Cup wins, this means -

Liverpool - 5 stars

Manchester Utd - 2 stars

Nottingham Forest - 2 stars

Villa - 1 star

But why stop there, lets have Cup Winners Cup, its a European competiton after all.

Chelsea - 2 stars

Arsenal - 1 star

Man Utd - 1 star

Everton- 1 star

Man City - 1 star

West Ham - 1 star

Spurs - 1 star

How about the EUFA Cup,

Liverpool - 3 stars

Spurs - 2 stars

Ipswich - 1 star

The Fairs Cup (I know!),

Leeds - 2 stars

Arsenal - 1 star

Newcastle - 1 star

In Italy they have stars for winning the championship 10 times, if we did this it would mean:

Liverpool - 1 star

Man Utd - 1 star

Arsenal - 1 star

Winning the league or FA cup is a bit common, but the double is a good historical point so :

Arsenal - 3 stars

Man Utd - 3 stars

Liverpool - 1 star

Spurs - 1 star

Villa - 1 star

Preston - 1 star

So overall to celebrate each team's major achievements we should have:

Liverpool - 10 stars

Man Utd - 7 stars

Arsenal - 6 stars

Spurs - 4 stars

Nottingham Forest - 2 stars

Villa - 2 stars

Chelsea - 2 stars

Leeds - 2 stars

Everton - 1 star

Man City - 1 star

West Ham - 1 star

Ipswich - 1 star

Newcastle - 1 star

Preston - 1 star

But why stop there, lets have Cup Winners Cup, its a European competiton after all.

People can put how ever many stars they want on thier jerseys, thats up to them. What matters is what the star would signify to our players and supporters, not what it represents to others. If other teams want to put them on for CWC or Championships or nothing at all, thats up to them.

it strikes me that people just dont appreciate the sheer magnitude of what winning the old European Cup means for this or any club in terms of its historical stature in world football. it seems to me that the current Euro telly league has cheapened this concept horribly, and fans who have only been brought up on this modern farcical bastard of a competition just dont appreciate the sheer prestige associated with winning this competition in the days when it meant that you were the Champions of Champions, a prestige tjat never, ever leaves you, a prestige that clubs like Arsenal and Chelsea would die for.

if you dont think this prestige sticks then I suggest you travel abroad more and talk to foreign football fans of a certain age about Aston Villa.

Excellent post Pete - as I have said before at the Ajax ground in the corporate bit they have a whole area dedicated to previous winners of the cup, including a section on AVFC (and a pic of the fans where you can see a certain poster from VT if you know where to look :oops: ). Winning the cup whatever year it was is still considered, rightly, as a major achievement.

Why Villa appear to have shown a reluctance to really celebrate that night you can argue was down to the previous chairman. I suspect that the vast majority of fans would like to see the star on the shirt

The more I think of it the more certain I get. Let's put a star above the badge on the shirt. I want the players to look down on it and think: "Once there was an honest bunch of lads who won the european cup to earn us this star. I wanna fight to keep to honour that star. I wanna put another one to it and become a legend." Or something like that. I'm not someone who writes great speeches. :oops:

My house mate is an Aberdeen fan and they have 2 stars on there shirts. One for winning the cup winners cup and one,

Wait for it

its a good one.

really its good.

for winning the European Super Cup.

• 8 months later...
My house mate is an Aberdeen fan and they have 2 stars on there shirts. One for winning the cup winners cup and one,

Wait for it

its a good one.

really its good.

for winning the European Super Cup.

I thought it was one for the Cup winners and one for the UEFA Cup? They're the only Scottish club to have won 2 major European trophies.

Â