The star above the badge debate (Poll added)

villa89

Should we have a star to commemorate the European Cup win?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a star to commemorate the European Cup win?

• Yes
    • No

I am all for it. It may be a small thing but it would mean a lot to me anyway.

Why would other club's fans laugh at us for having the star on our shirt. We should be laughing at them for not earning the right to have a star on their shirt. We are in an elite group of Prem teams (and Forest!) and we should celebrate the fact.

Plus I could rub my Arsenal fan mates noses in it!

Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk who carried a gun and ran from the mob. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor.

No, no he doesn't

There's a flaw right at the start of that.

i thought he lived on the millenium flacon?? :shock:

I'm not arguing but England play with a star above their badge when they play in the European Championships.

That does not make sense!

Ladies and Gentlemen, remember Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk who carried a gun and ran from the mob. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it. That does not make sense. Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor with a bunch of two-foot-tall Ewoks. That does not make sense.

But more important, you have to ask yourself what does this have to do with England having a star above their jersey in european championship games? Nothing. Ladies and Gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this England having a star above their jersey in european championship games. It does not make sense. Look at me, I'm talkin' about Chewbacca. Does that make sense? Ladies and Gentlemen I am not making any sense. None of this makes sense.

And so you have to remember when you're deliberating and conjugating stars above crests, does it make sense? No. Ladies and Gentlemen it does not make sense. If Chewbacca lives on Endor you must not have stars above crests in different competitions.

I know it seems nice. But ladies and gentlemen this is Chewbacca. Now think about that for one minute. That does not make sense. Why am I talking about Chewbacca when we are talking about stars above crests? Why? I'll tell you why. I don't know. It doesn't make sense. If Chewbacca does not make sense you must not have stars above crests.

I think I have made my point

:lol: Alas I get it and it made me smile.

Liverpool have the stars on their European jersey, not their league one. As we don't have a European shirt (yet) we would have to put them on the league one (or not, as the case may be).

All German & Italian clubs have the stars on their league jersey. The Spanish don't.

Nottingham Forest have 2 stars on their kit and they are obviously not in Europe.

Nottingham Forest have 2 stars on their kit and they are obviously not in Europe.

I think you will find the uk is part of europe :roll:

Err, apart from the smart ass response, you knew exactly what I meant by that.

They were pushing the away shirt - green and black stripes and its on there.

I cant say I saw any signs saying it was a special shirt for Europe.

EDIT: It looks as though its their league kit

prd_maxzoom_27106.jpg

I'm not sure about it to be honest. It's a bit like Englands one star, the teams we really should be competing with, ie the Liverpools and Manchester Uniteds of this world, have more than us. This is a new era for Villa and focusing on one European Cup victory 24 years ago doesn't mean a lot when we aspire to be better than teams who could have 5 or 6 such stars.

ManUre only have two stars, if we don't have a star we have missed an opportunity for marketing, full stop. We are trying to break into new markets, when foreigners see the star they will ask 'whats that for?' in the same way that we look at itailian shirts and say what they got 2 stars for?

Eg in the States they wont have a clue if we have won anything, how many of you know how many times the Oakland A's have won the world series or San Francisco 49ers the Superbowl, wouldn't you be more likely to know if all of their merchandise had that many amount of stars above the logo?

I don't think we should have a star on the jersey.

It's 25 years ago and the club isn't amongst the top clubs anymore. Imagine

Nottingham Forest doing the same, it wouldn't be right. And on the other side;

wouldn't other fans and clubs just laugh at us?

People often act like they find something funny when in actaul fact they are jealous!

Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk who carried a gun and ran from the mob. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor.

No, no he doesn't

There's a flaw right at the start of that.

Yep, Chewbacca didn't carry a gun. He carried a crossbow.

Anyway, I think there are good arguments both for and against. But in the end it wouldn't make us look ridiculous at all and I want that star on my shirt. As someone else said, I'd like to rub it in my Arsenal-"frinds" faces. It would look so good. So while I find some arguments against I'd really like it there. Could it be arranged on the shirts from now on this season?

If i find out we are getting a star on our shirt I will order the shirt that day.

It is our choice how we celebrate our history, and this would be great to go along with the hall of fame Lerner has planned. As has been mentioned, it's not like there are 15 Premiership teams who have won a European cup and don't have a star. There are 2 others. Stuff Liverpool and their way of doing things, stuff ManUre and their way of doing things. We're Aston Villa, we are a traditional club that celebrates our history. Wearing that star is a privilege our great club has earned, whether it was 24 years ago or 100 years ago.

In fact, I think you'll find that after we have a star on our shirt for a year or 2, ManUre and Liverpool would follow suit.

I nearly bought a shirt this year, but I am gonna wait till next year when we have a manufacturer other than Hummel (damn those arrows!), and we have a star above our emblem.

Interesing debate, however I was quoted in the original post and think my basic point was missed.

The badge issue was something I raised as an illustration of the irrelevance of certain issues to a basic point raised in respect to class.

The initial argument was about Gallas stating that Chelsea had no class, followed by a series of measures which would apparently give us an aura of class. I basically disagreed with most of the points made, but perhaps did not make myself clear.

The issues raised were about the colour of the kit and the area around the stadium, whilst predicating this around Gallas's statement about Chelsea. I thought all of the arguments whilst in some way valid were irrelevant in the context of the original premise.

What constitutes class for a football club? Is it consistency in kit design, the quality of finish in the stands, the inviting nature of the surrounding area and its architecture or the badge and it's star or not?

Gallas's statement was nothing to do with the kit or the ground, it was to do with the way the club projected itself (in the media and on the field) and its relations to it's players. Chelsea are not the only ones, Alex Ferguson does not exude class when he defends players like Rooney or lambasts any decision that goes against him, Man Utd have had a consistent kit colour and probably common fonts throughout the ground as do Chelsea. .

In my mind, Chelsea have no class, nor do Man Utd or Real Madrid, Liverpool have some and Barcelona have it in spades - not really sure why (I've been to all of their grounds over the years).

What constitutes class for a football club?

in the context of gallas statement, the people at the club.

In general it is about history and tradition. for example, Arsenal, Villa and manchester United have been in my lifetime classy clubs, clubs with a special aura, a certain "old school" feeling about them, whereas the likes of Spurs and newcastle have always smelt a little bit of "new money" if you know what I mean.

Â