The star above the badge debate (Poll added)

villa89

Should we have a star to commemorate the European Cup win?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a star to commemorate the European Cup win?

• Yes
    • No

Not sure if this has been the subject of a poll/debate before (if it was can someone please tell me the conclusion).

I noticed villadom's comment under a frontpage article

A star above the badge is only relevant if it is given significance by the general public - nobody in the premiership uses the star to signify European Cup wins, Manchester City have three stars and have never won it, although Bayern Munich and Celtic do use the stars

Alot of villa fans on this board seem to think we should have the star above our badge on next season's kit, I disagree.

Reasons (in order of significance)

1. Why have a star representing a european cup win when you are playing a premiership game? What's the european cup got to do with the prem? No other team in the league has a star above the crest to represent a euro cup win why should we?

2. We are often accused of living in the past by other idiots, I mean football fans. Won't the star above the crest look like we are trying to clutch on to past glories? We'll get the usual you weren't even born when villa won it remarks (which is true, I wasn' t)

The star above the crest should only be on our jersey when we are playing in the champions league, IMO. This is the way liverpool do it and it just makes sense.

EDIT LV: Added Poll as it is a good idea to run one on this

Liverpool have the stars on their European jersey, not their league one. As we don't have a European shirt (yet) we would have to put them on the league one (or not, as the case may be).

All German & Italian clubs have the stars on their league jersey. The Spanish don't.

I would agree with not having the badge.

We won it once and I was fortunately old enough to watch it on TV being 11 at the time. What a night.

However, we need to concentrate on matters in hand today, not be up ourselves from nearly 25 years ago.

I think it just looks smug, not smart.

It's not smug to honour your past IMO. It is negligent to dismiss it, as this club has up to now. You can move on (and we will) while tipping your hat to the heroes of the past.

You can move on (and we will) while tipping your hat to the heroes of the past.

Yes by all means but do it in a suitable way, a statue at the ground, the proposed museum, a star in champions league games (if/when we get there)

You know what, I was all up for getting a star above our badge, but this makes sense to me. I am not particularly interested about the opinion of other fans, but the point about only wearing the star when playing in the appropriate competition is hard to deny. Of course I am more disposed to this argument now I feel we have a real opportunity of wearing that star in the coming years.

How special would it be to buy and wear that shirt knowing that it had to be earned and a real representation of the achievement of the new Aston Villa, but still referring to the glories of the past.

How special would it be to buy and wear that shirt knowing that it had to be earned and a real representation of the achievement of the new Aston Villa, but still referring to the glories of the past.

Thats what will make buying our Champions League jersey so sweet when the day does finally come.

Thats what will make buying our Champions League jersey so sweet when the day does finally come.

And no small money spinner for the club as well. As a rule I tend not to buy the shirt, this may tempt me

There isnt a debate here. Liverpool and Celtic have incorporated it into their kits. Havent Man Utd?

It should be there as a guide ot our history. Only three teams can question it. and one of them talks about european cups so much id just laugh at them

You know what, I was all up for getting a star above our badge, but this makes sense to me. I am not particularly interested about the opinion of other fans, but the point about only wearing the star when playing in the appropriate competition is hard to deny. Of course I am more disposed to this argument now I feel we have a real opportunity of wearing that star in the coming years.

Agreed and I too think it would incredibly special to see this on our Champions League kit in 2008/09 :D

Wow

I wasnt even aware there was a debate on this subject. I thought this was all perfectly clear, logical and straightforward

Does it realy matter if other clubs have it, or whether they will understand it's significance? It will mean something to me, a constant reminder of what the club is capable of.

This is what matters, well said ddid

I'm not sure about it to be honest. It's a bit like Englands one star, the teams we really should be competing with, ie the Liverpools and Manchester Uniteds of this world, have more than us. This is a new era for Villa and focusing on one European Cup victory 24 years ago doesn't mean a lot when we aspire to be better than teams who could have 5 or 6 such stars.

I'm not sure about it to be honest. It's a bit like Englands one star, the teams we really should be competing with, ie the Liverpools and Manchester Uniteds of this world, have more than us. This is a new era for Villa and focusing on one European Cup victory 24 years ago doesn't mean a lot when we aspire to be better than teams who could have 5 or 6 such stars.

Couldn't disagree more.

Wow

I wasnt even aware there was a debate on this subject. I thought this was all perfectly clear, logical and straightforward

Does it realy matter if other clubs have it, or whether they will understand it's significance? It will mean something to me, a constant reminder of what the club is capable of.

This is what matters, well said ddid

The debate appears to be above. I would prefer to have the badge on our Champions League shirt only. I am also not to bothered what other teams do, but I am happy to set an example. It would mean more to me to keep it special.

I don't think we should have a star on the jersey.

It's 25 years ago and the club isn't amongst the top clubs anymore. Imagine

Nottingham Forest doing the same, it wouldn't be right. And on the other side;

wouldn't other fans and clubs just laugh at us?

Couldn't disagree more.

I think I disagree with Patrick slightly more than you BOF so if you disagreed as much as me then you would be disagreeing more. Please correct your post. :wink:

Note: My 200th post is also my worst ... :oops:

Note: I'm in the reserves :hooray:

Â