Relegation - Merged

Amo69

Newcastle managed to keep their best players at the time. Duff, Nolan, Harper, Coloccini, Lovenkrands, Gutierrez, Taylor, were all premiership quality. And I think this was a big factor as to why they returned straight away. There was not really a major re shuffle of players there.

Also they were still getting gates of 44, 000 in the Championship which helped financially. Villa would probably get about 24, 000 average.

If Villa went down, I think they would lose all the premiership quality players. I dont even want to contemplate relegation, but if the unthinkable did happen I think Villa would be down there for a while.

In my opinion there are no benefits to relegation. Only negatives. But then again that is just my opinion.

I thought Duff left. Owen, Martins, Viduka etc all went. They were proven top level players.

I look at our squad and wonder who will buy the players we have eg Collins, Warnock, Dunne, Hutton, Albrighton, Agbonlahor. Not sure many teams would.

It is all about opinions. I agree relegation would be bad and I want us to stay up. It is just I am not ready to throw myself of a bridge if we do.

Duff left in the January transfer window. So he played 60% od that season for Newcastle United.

Viduka was shite by then. An (overweight) shadow of the player he once was.

My point still stands they kept the premiership quality players (Duff, Nolan, Harper, Coloccini, Lovenkrands, Gutierrez, Taylor) and that is why they returned. If villa go down the likes of bent, gabby, given will probably leave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damien_Duff

After playing one game for Newcastle in 2009–10, Duff returned to the Premier League, signing for Fulham on a three-year contract for an undisclosed fee, and re-joining Roy Hodgson, his first manager at Blackburn Rovers.[6] He made his Fulham debut coming on as a substitute against Amkar Perm in the Cottagers' UEFA Europa League qualifier match, setting up the third goal in a 3–1 win

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle managed to keep their best players at the time. Duff, Nolan, Harper, Coloccini, Lovenkrands, Gutierrez, Taylor, were all premiership quality. And I think this was a big factor as to why they returned straight away. There was not really a major re shuffle of players there.

Also they were still getting gates of 44, 000 in the Championship which helped financially. Villa would probably get about 24, 000 average.

If Villa went down, I think they would lose all the premiership quality players. I dont even want to contemplate relegation, but if the unthinkable did happen I think Villa would be down there for a while.

In my opinion there are no benefits to relegation. Only negatives. But then again that is just my opinion.

I thought Duff left. Owen, Martins, Viduka etc all went. They were proven top level players.

Harper is poor, Coloccini was awful in his last spell in the Premier League, Lovenkrands no way has ever looked premier League quality and Taylor...really?

I look at our squad and wonder who will buy the players we have eg Collins, Warnock, Dunne, Hutton, Albrighton, Agbonlahor. Not sure many teams would.

It is all about opinions. I agree relegation would be bad and I want us to stay up. It is just I am not ready to throw myself of a bridge if we do.

To be honest, I dont want to discuss Newcastle that much. But Harper I thought was a good premiership standard goalkeeper. I also rated Lovenkrands when he was on the wing and Taylor played most of last season when Newcastle finished in 10th place. A key part of their defence.

Taylor made only 6 appearences last season. No wonder you don't want to talk about Newcastle!!! :lol:

So I assume an owner of a club such as Blackpool just trouser lots of money for a years spin in the PL eg.

PL Year 1 - £40m

relegation Year 2 - £16m

Year 3 £16m

Year 4 £8m

Year 5 £8m

That's £88m for a club that was largely run on Championship players plus profits from Adam sale ??

Exactly.

That is why I do not understand why Small Heath ended up in the mess they have, considering they yo-yo between the leagues. I can only assume it is bad financial management on the part of the owners.

The tv revenue is used to pay the wages of the players.

The big concern for me is the wages our players are on. Without relegation clauses in their contracts (which is unlikely as no-one could foresee this debacle) we would have to firesale all of our squad just to stay afloat and bring in players of inferior quality - hence making ourselves a fully-fledged Championship club with Championship players.

Newcastle's Championship team was probably better than our current team. If we go down, I think we'll stay there for a while unless we get a very good manager.

That's OK Lerner has a great record of appointing decent managers.

Oh.

We'll end up with Avram Grant.

Newcastle bounced back due to great management from Hughton and Pardew respectively. Positive, motivational managers with very little to lose, exactly what we need at the moment instead of a dim-witted yes-man and his useless assistant who ooze negativity from every pore.

Newcastle may have lost players and had to cut wages but they were still getting significant income from attendances when in the Championship and their wage bill still dwarfed other clubs in that division. And then came the small matter of £35 **** million quid for Andy Carroll to ease any lingering financial worries.

Whilst on the subject of Newcastle, I'm sick to death of thick Geordies taking pleasure in our current situation, still bitter that we relegated them as if it was our fault entirely. I do think they are punching above their weight and next season will see them slip down the table somewhat.

I was on about the other Taylor. Anyway............

The comparisons with Birmingham City last season are increasing by the day. I just looked at the league table with 3 games left for last season. Almost identical.

The comparisons with Birmingham City last season are increasing by the day. I just looked at the league table with 3 games left for last season. Almost identical.

Blues had more points than us at this point last season

Blues had more points than us at this point last season

Yep 38.

But the gap to the teams in relegation zone was the same.

I repeat what I have said already. The club is in a mess.

The fact that McLeish was appointed was disrespectful to the Villa fans etc.
But it wasn't. And it wouldn't matter if it was, provided he did the business. He failed to do so big-time, but that's because he's crap, not because he's ex-small heath.

The fact that McLeish was appointed was disrespectful to the Villa fans etc.
But it wasn't. And it wouldn't matter if it was, provided he did the business. He failed to do so big-time, but that's because he's crap, not because he's ex-small heath.

Read my post again Mike. It's a quote from the media yesterday. Talksport to be precise. That's why I used the "etc" bit. I am not saying the appointment was disrespectful, I am saying it was downright madness!!