Relegation - Merged

Amo69

Would strongly disagree 'Mantis.'

I stated as such during and after our run in last season and if we had played those teams at full strength we wouldn't have finished where we did.

Our present position in the Premiership reflects that!

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remaining Fixtures

25856329.png

This years table compare to last year at this stage

2011/2012

PL    GD   PTS

15	Aston Villa	29	-7	 33

16	Blackburn     30   -18   28

17	Bolton	     29   -25   26

-----------------------------------------------------

18	QPR	        30   -20   25

19	Wigan	      30   -28   25

20	Wolves        30   -34   22
2010/2011
                   PL   GD    PTS

13   Blackburn     30   -12   33

14	Aston Villa	30	-14	33

15	Blackpool     30   -15   33

16	West Brom	  30   -15   33

17   Bolton        30   -13   32

18	Wolves	     30   -14   32

19	Birmingham    29   -13   32

20	West Ham	   30   -22   30

Even with defeat against Chelsea we would be in a much stronger position than we was last season. We are 8 points abover 18th this year with a much better GD, We was only 1 last season with a similar GD.

I've never know a team finish a league season in a "false" position. What a load of nonsense.

Your opinion of course but take a look at who we played and their injuries at the time they played us. It is not nonsense, we got lucky and our current position reflects that.

I don't get all this - there is no way the bottom clubs will get to 36 points

Wolves aside they're all starting to get results in

The golden rule is get to 40

It wont be any different this time

There is no such golden rule - it's just a useful target for mid-table clubs.

Last season Wolves just scraped 17th place with 40 points.

The season before West Ham survived with 35 points (and could in fact have stayed up with 30 points and a goal difference of -39!!)

2008/9 Hull hung on with 35 points.

It all depends on how the bottom teams perform and this season they have been pretty poor. The most competitive seasons since the league went to 20 clubs have been 2002/3 when Wolves went down with 42 points; 1997/8 (Bolton 40) and 1996/7 (Sunderland 40). But the norm is for the 18th club - the one to beat - to end with points in the low to mid 30s.

This season, to get to 39 points, QPR and Wigan would each need to get 14 points from their remaining 8 fixtures. QPR have to play Arsenal, Chelsea, Man C, Man U and Spurs; Wigan play Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal. All of these teams will be fighting hard for a top 4 place so the strugglers can't expect to get much from those games. They do look to be heading for around 35/6 points at their absolute best - Wolves almost certainly lower.

02/03 it was West Ham who went down with 42 not Wolves.

I'm terrified.

My post above shows we survived a much close relegation fight last season we a similar run in.

We was only 1 point above the drop zone this time last season

We had a (slightly) more competent manager.

We had a style of play that was eventually going to start coming good, which I believe it did towards the end of the season. Whether that was down to Houllier not having control of the team due to health or not.

I always felt that things would eventually come together under Houllier and we'd start playing well. Well enough to stay up anyway.

Either way, we went on a good run.

I don't get that feeling with mcLeish. He's not building anything. he has no style of play that will eventually click and start working. He has nothing. He brings nothing. He gives nothing. He produces nothing. He is nothing. And we, Aston Villa, under McLeish, are nothing.

I don't feel we are capable of having a similar run in this season. We are woeful

Remaining Fixtures

25856329.png

This years table compare to last year at this stage

2011/2012

PL    GD   PTS

15	Aston Villa	29	-7	 33

16	Blackburn     30   -18   28

17	Bolton	     29   -25   26

18	QPR	        30   -20   25

19	Wigan	      30   -28   25

20	Wolves        30   -34   22
2010/2011
                   PL   GD    PTS

13   Blackburn     30   -12   33

14	Aston Villa	30	-14	33

15	Blackpool     30   -15   33

16	West Brom	  30   -15   33

17   Bolton        30   -13   32

18	Wolves	     30   -14   32

19	Birmingham    29   -13   32

20	West Ham	   30   -22   30

Even with defeat against Chelsea we would be in a much stronger position than we was last season. We are 8 points abover 18th this year with a much better GD, We was only 1 last season with a similar GD.

I'm as much a pessimist as anyone in fact I still think we could get sucked into it within a couple of games, but looking at those fixtures it's hard to see how Wolves, Wigan and QPR are going to get 10 points. I think those 3 are clear favourites. With Bolton and Blackburn slumping their only real chance.

I've never know a team finish a league season in a "false" position. What a load of nonsense.

Your opinion of course but take a look at who we played and their injuries at the time they played us. It is not nonsense, we got lucky and our current position reflects that.

I like how some posters with a downer on all things Villa will say we got lucky playing against certain teams because they had injuries. This argument can easily be turned on its head: why not say the other clubs got lucky earlier in the season (2010/11) when WE had loads of injuries? Would we have been in the position we were in if we hadn't been going through the worst injury crisis I can ever remember at Villa Park?

Some folk simply have an inferiority complex when it comes to Villa and just can't quite get their heads around the fact that Villa are capable of beating anyone. Have some belief in Villa. Loads of people on here were claiming the last two matches of last season would yield zero points...we got six...and we got them because we were simply better than the two teams we faced. Our form at the end of the season was simply superb. The team had clicked, were playing for each other and were enjoying their football. Are you telling me that a team featuring Ashley Young, Gabby, Friedel, Kyle Walker, Darren Bent and co wasn't at least as good as most of last season's top six? Of course it was. That's a quality nucleus of a side and it was more than a match for anyone - as the well deserved wins over the overrated teams you seem to put on a pedestal suggest.

Obviously, Young, Friedel and Walker have gone and we have clearly missed their quality this year. Having said that, we are still in a better position at this stage of the season than compared to last. Have a bit of faith in your club and the players and they might be able to show you just how good they really are. Please give Villa credit and stop putting other (inferior) clubs on a pedestal - with support like that no wonder we are one-nil down before a ball is even kicked. Have some belief in Villa.

Last season was the strangest season ever, 1 point above the relegation zone with 1 game to go, and then end up 9th. Very strange.

We weren't 1 point off the relegation zone with 1 game to go.

Last season was the strangest season ever, 1 point above the relegation zone with 1 game to go, and then end up 9th. Very strange.

Yes lucky us that we got 8 point from our victory in the last game of the season, what are the odds of that happening again this year :?:

Very strange indeed...

Ye they a few wins, but they are still 9 points away from 36 or more in wolves case. I guarantee you the current bottom 4 will not reach 36 points. Come and quote this in May. Relax

Can you guarantee we will?

Yes lucky us that we got 8 point from our victory in the last game of the season, what are the odds of that happening again this year :?:

Very strange indeed...

:lol:

Very strange indeed...

I meant with 8 games to go. My bad.