Proposals (not indecent) with a bit about Berlin as well

sonic_bouma

im taking the missus to Berlin in the week before xmas for 5 days sampling a few of the xmas markets while we are there, and after 9 years together im planning on popping the question...got the ring just need to figure out how im gonna do it...

now i know its not the most romantic of places but its somewhere she has always wanted to go....

so my first question is....

Has anybody got a good knowledge of Berlin and know of any special restaurants with nice views or romantic spots around the city?

im sure the christmas lights and stuff will be nice but would like to know of any other nice places.....

and i thought i'd also ask those of you who have done it before....

How and where did you propose?

basically so i can steal your ideas!

thanks for any help!

Not that it will be of much help but i recently asked my lady friend of 7 years to marry me in Paris. We were there for 3 nights for our anniversary and i had the ring on me all the time waiting for the right moment.

Ultimately as we stood outside the Eiffell Tower on the last night admiring the light show on the hour that seemed an ideal moment. She said yes but that was never in doubt tbf!

My advise would be to plan a few potential places where you think you might want to propose around the city and then just wait for what feels like the right moment as your trip unfolds.

Then seeing as you have made her wait "so long" expect a torrent full of "about bloody time" abuse from friends and family!

cheers kkr

ive looked up a few areas that are supposed to be nice and have thought maybe its best if i just keep it on me and wait for the right moment...

but im shit scared of losing the ring or having it nicked or her thinking "whats that lump in his coat pocket?"...which makes me think it might be best to do it on the first night and then enjoy the next four days......

think i need to nail down a place and go there on the first night...i just dont know where that place is yet coz ive never been

Well i've lived and worked in Berlin so I hope I can help.

First off congratulations (if she says yes...) I met my wife to be in Berlin and we bloody love the place. We plan to move back there.

Berlin was described as "sexy but poor" by the mayor a few years ago and it's a mixture of hip ex east areas mixed with the more commercial west..Ku'damm, Potsdammerplatz etc..

The east..or old east is slowly getting gentrified but that is where the real cool places are. Look on the map for Mitte, Prenzlauer Berg and Kreuzberg. These mix the cool and expensive with the poor and run down cafe bars.

If you really want to splash out head to the Unter Den Linden and the Hotel Adlon...first hotel with running water and where MJ dangled his bairn. Around here also is Gendarmenmarkt and Babelplatz opposite to the university it's a nice walk in winter up and down this stretch with Alexanderplatz at the other end and the TV tower. There you will find a revolving rest. and 360deg views.

Before the final stroll up to A'Platz you'll find the Museum Island and a nice park area. On the old site of Der Palast der Republik. Around here is the canal area with some nice restaurants and the like.

My personal opinion is too mix it up in the old east nipping in and out of cafes and bars and sampling the smaller christmas markets that are dotted around the place. Walk down oranienburger strasse and look in the old bombed out dept. store (Tachales) which is now a selection of hodge podge bars and art galleries ogle the stunning prostitutes and stroll up to Hackescher Markt at the more commercial end of O'strasse. There are some great rests. under the rail way arches.

Any way all this was on the fly on my smart phone...i could send you a few links later.

Yeah i played a dangerous game. I just kept it in the left pocket of my trousers without the box all the time we were there so that it was always on hand but concealed effectively also. I found myself constantly checking the pocket though, little touches of reassurance to make sure it haddent gone missing.

Had few near scares when i had left it in another pair of trousers and didnt remember or my trousers were laying on the side and id left the ring in there only for it to slide out to the top of the pocket and be on full display in the hotel room! There was also the moments where i shit it going into the Lovre and Eiffel Tower thinking id have to empty my pockets for security but only to not have to do that in the end!

Have an idea of a place in mind, but have backups too incase you get there and it doesnt feel right.

Well i've lived and worked in Berlin so I hope I can help.

First off congratulations (if she says yes...) I met my wife to be in Berlin and we bloody love the place. We plan to move back there.

Berlin was described as "sexy but poor" by the mayor a few years ago and it's a mixture of hip ex east areas mixed with the more commercial west..Ku'damm, Potsdammerplatz etc..

The east..or old east is slowly getting gentrified but that is where the real cool places are. Look on the map for Mitte, Prenzlauer Berg and Kreuzberg. These mix the cool and expensive with the poor and run down cafe bars.

If you really want to splash out head to the Unter Den Linden and the Hotel Adlon...first hotel with running water and where MJ dangled his bairn. Around here also is Gendarmenmarkt and Babelplatz opposite to the university it's a nice walk in winter up and down this stretch with Alexanderplatz at the other end and the TV tower. There you will find a revolving rest. and 360deg views.

Before the final stroll up to A'Platz you'll find the Museum Island and a nice park area. On the old site of Der Palast der Republik. Around here is the canal area with some nice restaurants and the like.

My personal opinion is too mix it up in the old east nipping in and out of cafes and bars and sampling the smaller christmas markets that are dotted around the place. Walk down oranienburger strasse and look in the old bombed out dept. store (Tachales) which is now a selection of hodge podge bars and art galleries ogle the stunning prostitutes and stroll up to Hackescher Markt at the more commercial end of O'strasse. There are some great rests. under the rail way arches.

Any way all this was on the fly on my smart phone...i could send you a few links later.

thats really helpful mate thank you, il look up those places...any links you can send would be much appreciated.....

gotta sign off this thread now coz shes coming home but please keep any ideas/suggestions coming and il try to get back on it when shes not around!

Take her for a Döner, not for the proposal but Döner in Berlin really is something else.

immensely looking forward to trying the kebabs...

i didn't know Berlin had decent ones until after i booked so it was a real bonus!...

thanks for the good luck messages...

ice rink idea is a good one if i can find one...i'll have a look...

AVFC HITZ - Is there normally an ice rink around Christmas time in the city centre?

Mike - unless the sofa was also a pull out bed im disappointed in you!

Â