Final Fantasy

hogso

There's a PS2 v PS4 comparison video that has been released, won't bother linking it, as I can sum it up much quicker than watching a 3 minute video - it looks better.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I Am Setsuna, the first game from 'Tokyo RPG Factory' is out now. They were set up by SE specifically to produce JRPGs that hark back to the 'old school' of the genre, taking inspiration mainly from the 16bit era.

It appears to play a lot like Chrono Trigger, which ofc is no bad thing. I haven't bitten the bullet and got it yet, don't think I really have the time, but having read reviews they are generally positive and suggest it's not all that long (20 hours or so) and the difficulty high, so I am very tempted.

• 4 weeks later...

Final Fantasy XV has seemingly been delayed again , this time until 29th November. For a game that shows such promise, there must surely still be very real technical issues for it to be put back again. Shame. 

Tokyo RPG factory made a massive loss on I Am Setsuna. 

Delay confirmed. Reason behind it is that the game needs a patch and rather make it a day one patch, they're putting it on the disc. Ergo, the 'patch' must be **** GARGANTUAN, and be required to enable the game to work properly, lest it be broken without it. Oh dear.

• 2 weeks later...

A few things re FFXV;

The season pass won't be included in any special edition of the game, even the ridiculously expensive one

Furthermore, the season pass is for the currently announced 6 pieces of DLC. If they make more, that won't necessarily be included in the season pass, kupo

The first half of the game is 'open world', with the second half being 'linear', so as to focus the story more. No proper explanation yet to how that will work in real terms, but I'm thinking kinda the opposite to FFXIII

Man I hope the game play holds up. Cos I'm getting increasingly uneasy about this... 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FFXV has finally gone gold. Which is nice. Also confirmed is online co-op, in the form of a DLC package called 'Comrades'. Four people team up to do...stuff. There's a new, final, trailer titled 'Omen' too.

Release is a little over 4 weeks away now. I have pre-ordered World of FF, it didn't review too badly - on the basis that you're in to fan service. Which I am. It includes many many characters, locales, enemies, etc. from the entire series, and having played the demo (try it. It's very very weird, but oddly stimulated. Although it does look like a Vita game ps. it is a Vita game) for a decent amount of time I don't think I'll regret the pre-order. As an aside, it's nice to see Square Enix are giving their games demos - with an ever increasing amount of devs, it seems, not even allowing early reviews, let alone playable demos outside of trade shows/cons.

Also kind of related, is the totally unexpected news that KH HD 1.5 and 2.5 are coming to PS4 - what may be unexpected is that they'll be on one disc. However, there's still 2.8 to come too, not everything will be on that one disc. 2.8 is out in Jan '17 and 1.5+2.5 HD Super Goofy PS4 edition is out in March '17.

Edited by hogso

World of Final Fantasy is far better than it has any right to be. Or should I say, far more enjoyable than it should be. The plot is complete trash. The graphics are terrible - although the art style is great. Battle system has a very ordinary ATB system with an annoying feature or two. And so far at least, it is embarrassingly easy. Plus, shock horror, it has random encounters! uuuhhh nuuuhhhhh~

However. The fan service is off the chart. It's literally FF's greatest hits, from games I-XIII (plus maybe some more? Not sure yet). What is really charming, is that, aided by the chibi factor, the characters from past games are outrageous caricatures of themselves which I find really amusing. Characters like Tidus, Squall, and Lightning in particular are very silly, in the right way.

The Pokemon/Ni No Kuni/MegaTen (depending on your preference) mechanic of fighting monsters, catching them, and using them to fight with is as addictive as ever, aided by the feature that you can use up to 4 at a time, via a really quite unique 'stacking' system. The 2 main characters can switch between 'Jiant' (big/kingdom hearts styled) and 'Lilikin' (little/chibi styled) forms. When in Jiant form they can have a Medium and Small creature on top of them. When Chibi they can sit on a Large and have a Small on their head.

It's weird alright, and is without doubt aimed at a younger market as an 'entry' title. It has come at exactly the right time for me though, I've wanted an JRPG to sink my teeth in to for some time, and this has really hit the mark. I can't see me finishing it off before FFXV arrives, what with trying to get through DQ Builders too, but I'll do my best.

Edited by hogso

• 2 weeks later...

After all the delays and rumours it was broken and there would be further delays I lost a lot of enthusiasm for ffxv, but, I watched kingsglaive the other day and I can confirm, I am fully back on the hype train. It's a brilliant set up for the game, I can see a few ways the story can develop, and I'm really hoping the gameplay holds up and it's as ambitious as it could be. Genuinely looking forward to it coming out, this could be a seriously good game if they get it right, big if.

• Like 1

It is indeed a big if, but hopes look better for this than FFXIII ever did. Did you watch Brotherhood too? 

The final 'Judgement Disk' demo is worth a look if you have a JP PSN account. 

• Like 1

I'd kill for Square to just take IX and pump the kinda money they've spent on XV into the graphics.

I'd never finish it, because I can't pump 100hrs into a game now but the time I could manage I'd be overjoyed with.

• Like 1

Hadn't watched it but just gave them a watch.

Was going to go in as blind as possible originally, but that's failed miserably.

I dont feel remotely spoiled though in case anyone is considering watching them but hasn't yet.

Not really a spoiler tbh, but just my thoughts in comparing brotherhood/kingsglaive, no story spoilers

Obviously it's just an introduction to the characters and how they know noctis, but I preferred the feel of the world in kingsglaive, maybe because it just felt more like a ff world to me. Found the episodes a bit formulaic as well, but they do the job of introducing the characters well enough.

Discussing kingsglaive/brotherhood story and relation to game. Don't read unless you've watched them, possible game spoilers.

I really hope the start of the game isn't like brotherhood suggests it might be, a long road trip passing from place to place and every so often getting hassled by the imperials. The world was too ordinary, I hope that's just a side affect of it being anime and early story, but there was no obvious danger to anyone but noctis & co.

There needs to be some kind of greater threat emerge and a more obvious ultimate enemy, I'm confident this will happen though.

I want us to meet lunafreya very early in the game/story, I think the longer that takes it will just delay the story from developing and the game could become a bit grindy. 

They teased what gives the ring power in kingsglaive and I really hope that is explored, would be criminal if they didn't.

Edited by jjaacckk91
  • Like 1

Just had an invite to this land in my inbox after being fired from Square Enix's spam cannon - there's a cinema showing of stuff nationwide on the 22nd of November at 7:30pm

Join us as ODEON presents ‘FINAL FANTASY XV: Road to Release', an exclusive, one night only event for fans to celebrate the upcoming launch of ‘FINAL FANTASY XV'®.

You'll have access to a broadcast of the IGN premiere event in London live on the big screen, and get a first look at previously unseen game footage and hear from the makers of the game from behind the scenes. 

Next, experience the incredible CGI feature-length film, ‘Kingsglaive: FINAL FANTASY XV', featuring the voice talents of Aaron Paul and many more, complete with a special on-screen introduction from director Takeshi Nozue.

'FINAL FANTASY XV: Road to Release' is a must-see for any FINAL FANTASY fan, and all guests will receive goodie bags and the chance to win prizes. So book now and don’t miss out! Cosplay OK!

There will also be some sort of thing on IGN.com, it appears (despite SE only linking to IGN's home page in the email) that this page will also stream the event from 8pm.

I've had it too - it isn't on at my local Odeon (shame as it is walking distance), but it is on in Cov which I could go to. You get 'MOOGLE MUNCH' Chili & Lemon flavour popcorn in the goodie bag, kupo!

I went to the Road to Release event last night. It was good fun. Film looked great on the big screen, the new footage was alright, although it has left me curious as to exactly how much QTE action there is going to be. The 'Super Noctis' bit with Leviathan was...silly. I guess if you're going to take down something that big outside of a cutscene, that is actually playable, the solution has got to be pretty crazy. It's a huge departure from the norm for the series, though. I also feel like it would kind of suck if you go in to 'Super' mode for, say, the final boss battle, or certain boss fights in the story every now and then.

Lot's of interesting chat with like minded fellows between the showing of the London event and film. One guy had a theory about all the games being linked somehow, for example, the old meteor in XV being the same as the one from VII. That's silly of course, it's just a nod to the rest of the series I presume - after all, how many have featured metor strikes? - like Ultros being in the movie. It was also particularly entertaining to watch the attempts of the Odeon employee who drew the short straw to be our 'MC' for the evening. I heard that at one of the other events they referred to the game as 'Fantasy Five Final Fifteen' :lol:

Didn't eat my MOOGLE MUNCH popcorn, don't know if I will. It's kinda cool.

Light Kingsglaive/potential game spoilers

Spoiler

The design of the ring is exactly the same as the Solomon Ring from VIII. There is intense specualtion that Doomtrain will be a summon in this too. Which would be awesome, one of my favourite ever summons. It is curious how secretive they're being about what summons exactly are in the game. There's only 5 confirmed so far, I think (Leviathan, Titan, Ramuh, Shiva, Ifrit).

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

Â