Resident Evil 4 HD

GarethRDR

Just wondering if anyone else has endulged in this fine piece of recent gaming history? I remember when I first played the game; a friend brought his GameCube and a copy over and after a mere hour of gameplay I was compelled to rush out and purchase my own console just for Resi 4.

I was reading online that the general concensus on this "HD" reboot (in truth, it doesn't actually look all that different) seems to be if you've already exhausted the game first time round, there's little on offer for you here, but I disagree; I'm enjoying it as much now as I ever did, and despite the fact I'm up to what must cumulatively be my 30th playthrough I still get the shit scared outta me at the same points every time, no matter how tooled up I am (namely screaming at the Bella sisters, the first encounter with Novistadors in the sewer, steering Ashley away from being cleaved in twain, cowering at the Verdugo, those **** Regenerador bastards and trying to drop U-3 into a ravine).

It really does highlight just how disappointing Resi 5 was, but that's what happens when you take the challenge to survive out of a survival horror game (seriously, someone at Capcom does need shooting for that). At least Wesker was hilarious I suppose, but I digress.

In terms of content, there is admittedly nothing new on offer (though the inclusion of the "Seperate Ways" minigame from the PS2 release makes for a fun few hours). Mercernaries is in there too, (I was, am and seemingly always will be shit at it :oops:) as well as Assignment Ada (which seems to last all of 5 seconds) but all told I'll still be getting plenty o' nostalgic joy out of the game for a good long while yet.

£14.99 you say?

merchant.jpg

I love Resi 4, it has some of the most innovative and thrilling boss battles i've ever encountered and it's one of only two games I have ever bought a system just to play.

Mind you, the Gamecube was a hell of a lot cheaper than the Pentium 133 I spunked £1800 on just to play Syndicate Wars. :oops:

Resident Evil 4 was good but it just isnt a resident evil game.

Actually all the recent Resident Evil's havent been resident evil games they have become some kind of 3rd person action hybrid which is rubbish

Bring back the days of Resi 1 up to code veronica where it was true survival horror and ammo was so scarce you were having to watch constantly how much you were using otherwise you were having to take down a hunter with a knife.

Resident Evil 2 was probably my favourite seeing lickers for the first time jump out of nowhere in the police library and spiders in the sewers there was so much depth to it one minute you were barricading yourself into the cop station then you were battling your way through umbrella's underground lab fighting giant plants with flamethrowers

Games now a days really are going down hill its all about the pew pew to appease the 8 year olds less pew pew more quality.

Bring back the days of Resi 1 up to code veronica

Play the remake of code veronica and you will soon change your tune. Its shite. Back in the day i had it on dreamcast and i loved it but it really hasnt aged well and the old system of having fixed camera angles just doesnt work anymore. Feels so awkward.

Resi 4's gameplay is the way to go. Just because resi 5 was shit means nothing...it was made by a different dev team to resi 4 so it could have always gone one way or the other. Unfortunately, it wasnt a patch on resi 4. Which is kinda undersdtandable considering it was probably the best game of last generation

• 1 year later...

resident evil 2 was the 1st game i ever got excited about, i can remember buying every magazine i could afford just to see some new screenshots (lack of internet FTW) and counting down the days until release, played the demo to death too

ive tried replaying it but found it really hard to cope with the graphics

as for 4, RE for me was always about the ink ribbons and bullets and running out of both, as good as 4 was in most respects capcoms decision to change that ended the series for me

and why arent capcom looking at RE (and onimusha if there is a god) for full HD boxsets like they have with DMC? im assuming its because of them being PS1 games and therefore too much effort, even REmake, 0 and CV would make a great boxset

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the best place to post this. Anyway, those of you who are actual hardcore RE fans will know of the infamous 'Resident Evil 1.5' the original RE 2 that was scrapped 80% into completion as the big wigs at Capcom were unhappy with it. Footage can be seen here:

Anyway some 'team' seems to have acquired the 40% build of the game and are trying to build it into the 80% version (creatively filling in gaps where necessary). They are highly skilled and their work can be seen here. The video seems to combine some of the legit. game with one of their own backgrounds (at around the 3.15 mark).

Anyway this baby should see the light of day sometime in the next year, so really the only thing a true RE fan has to look forward to.

Â